Constitutional Court Decides To Review Abhisit's M P Status

webfact

Constitutional Court decides to review Abhisit's MP status

BANGKOK: -- The Constitutional Court Thursday voted 7:2 to review MP status of Democrat leader and opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva.

The court was requested by 134 Pheu Thai MPs to consider whether Abhisit should be disqualified as an MP in line with Article 106 or not after Defence Minister ACM Sukampol Suwannathat revoked Abhisit's rank of an Army captain.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-16

• Like 1

POLITICS
Abhisit's MP status to be reviewed by Constitutional Court

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Constitutional Court today voted 7:2 to review the MP status of Democrat leader and opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva in relation to the controversial revocation of his Army rank.

Constitutional Court chief spokesman Pimol Thampithakpong said the court was requested by 134 Pheu Thai MPs to consider whether or not Abhisit should be disqualified as an MP in line with Articles 106 and 102 after Defence Minister ACM Sukampol Suwannathat revoked Abhisit's rank of Army captain.

Abhisit was given the rank for having served as a teacher for the Army cadet school but Sukampol alleged that the Democrat leader had dodged the military conscription and used a fake document to apply for the teacher post.

Abhisit later filed a complaint with the Administration Court against the rank revocation.

Pimol said the Constitutional Court would subpoena Abhisit to send his written explanation to the court within 15 days.

The two judges who rejected the request were Nurak Mapraneet and Chat Chonlavorn, who reasoned that the rank revocation had not been finalised yet.

The spokesman said the court rejected a request by Boworn Yasinthor to consider whether the planned amendment to Article 190 was unconstitutional or not.

Pimol said the court also voted 5:4 to accept a request by Warin Thiamcharas to consider the constitutionality of the planned amendment to Article 68 but rejected his request to consider the constitutionality of the planned amendment to Article 190.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-16

Oh, come on children; the country needs some governance - leave all that rubbish in the playground.

AV used the 'wrong form' to gain deferment of military service; like a few used the wrong for to pay for Master's Degrees.

It's about time the Thai voters found you all out - all of you, I'm not taking sides

Yeah, oh how the fox has changed it's tail , I remember the degree fiasco, what a laughcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Ex-PM/Democrat party leader Abhisit ready to defend MP status
By English News

13686977785775.jpg

BANGKOK, May 16 – Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said today he is ready to clarify in the Constitution Court the move to impeach him after the Defence Ministry stripped him of his military rank.

The Constitution Court today voted seven against two to accept the case for trial after a group of 134 lawmakers sought its verdict on Mr Abhisit’s status as a member of Parliament. They said Mr Abhisit should be dismissed.

The former prime minister said he was confident that he could defend himself against the allegation.

“The case has been filed in the Administrative, Civil and Criminal courts. It has yet to be seen which direction the Constitution Court will take,” said Mr Abhisit.

Constitution Court spokesman Pimol Thampitakpong said Mr Abhisit must submit his clarification in 15 days after receiving the official letter from the court.

Two Constitution Court judges who disagreed with the decision to consider the case said facts on the accusations against Mr Abhisit have yet to be concluded. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-05-16

The only thing more pathetic than these petty witch-hunts, is the red supporters' inability to see these tactics for what they are.

But I guess in politics the old saying holds true: If you throw enough s••t agaist the wall, eventually some of it will stick.

sick.gif

• Like 1

so on the one side PTP have said they do not recognize the authority of the constitutional court reference the constitutional amendment and ordered their brown sorry red shirts mob to get judges dismissed. But now all is good because they are after Abhisit even though the rank dismissal is still pending court action... super

• Like 2

so on the one side PTP have said they do not recognize the authority of the constitutional court reference the constitutional amendment and ordered their brown sorry red shirts mob to get judges dismissed. But now all is good because they are after Abhisit even though the rank dismissal is still pending court action... super

Just watch what happens if the court rules in Abhisit's favour.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be so much better if some organisation could veto these spurious requests?

• Like 1

so on the one side PTP have said they do not recognize the authority of the constitutional court reference the constitutional amendment and ordered their brown sorry red shirts mob to get judges dismissed. But now all is good because they are after Abhisit even though the rank dismissal is still pending court action... super 

Wouldn't it be so much better if some organisation could veto these spurious requests?

Huh. Me no understand!

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Huh. Me no understand!

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Well you see, the precedent was set that ANYONE can petition the constitution court directly to accept the cases to block the ptp constitution amendments.

If this hadn't been the case maybe this case wouldn't have even got to the court. It's moot because the attorney general is appointed by government, but wouldn't it make better sense to vet these stupid cases?

Geese and gander come to mind.

I assume a tricky plot by the Constitutional Court. By accepting a petition by 134 Pheu Thai MP's, they have a more solid base to charge all Pheu Thai MPs and Senators with 'contempt of court'. Furthermore all these cases against k. Abhisit progressing as they do clearly undermine our petition with the ICC to investigate the March - May 2010 riots. If we're seen to capably handling things ourselves the ICC will stand aside.

• Like 1

Of course this isn't political, its just that the PTP must abide by the rule of law sometimes. Even if the defence department put the wrong date on Abhist document which the PTP claims makes it a fake document. Hopefully justice will prevail.

Air Chief Marshal Sukampol Suwannathat (Thai: สุกำพล สุวรรณทัต, RTGS: Sukamphon Suwannathat; born 17 August 1951) is a Thai air force officer and politician. He has served in the cabinet of Yingluck Shinawatra, as Minister of Transport from August 2011 to January 2012, and subsequently as Minister of Defence.[1]

Edited by waza

The court was requested by 134 Pheu Thai MPs...

Funny, I thought they had decided to ignore the CC a couple days ago.

Ignoring CC is allowed if investigating PTP ,but does'nt count if you are on the Dems side........Rule No1 of PTP Democracy.

Funny, considering he is most likely the only one with real education and skills to be articulate in 2 languages.

Also given the support Yingluck has he could run the country so as the citizens would benefit.

The PTP knows that he is the best one in Thailand for the job so instead of trying to show Thailand they can do a good job they spend there time attacking him and white washing a murdering criminal who is on the run from the law.

Not only is he avoiding a prison term bit he is avoiding a whole lot more ligatament charges that will be brought against him if he returns to the country.

Oh, come on children; the country needs some governance - leave all that rubbish in the playground.

AV used the 'wrong form' to gain deferment of military service; like a few used the wrong for to pay for Master's Degrees.

It's about time the Thai voters found you all out - all of you, I'm not taking sides

By now everyone should know that Pheu Thai is not interested in governing the country. They are only interested to bring Mr. T back

I think it goes a bit deeper within the Democratic Party, as there has been a lot of internal fighting and possibly a move by others to have someone else to push Abhisit out of his position.

I read in another paper where Alongkorn Ponlaboot wants to modernize the Democratic Party with new ideas. Abhisit did not like his new ideas and this was causing conflict between the two. It is alleged the other members of the party like some of Ponlaboot's ideas.

I would say if Abhisit has a case to answer re his Military dismissal, that will put the icing on the cake and the Democrats will have a new leader.

This would be right up Yingluck's alley, especially as Abhisit has already said his party cant win the next election.

BTW did anyone ever see the recommendation and reasoning which were duly endorsed by the MoD, leading to k. Abhisit's rank being taken away? Did anyone care to follow up on the years in Military Academy he did teaching? Did anyone follow up on possible salary remittance requests?

Anyway two charges still in court, the last word not spoken yet.

BTW if Abhisit is no legal MP, he surely couldn't be a legal PM, and surely all possible 'murder' cases against him would also loose any legal base.

PS rumour has it Thaksin skyped in to commiserate with Abhisit. Allegedly he said to also know what it is to be politically prosecuted, but he unlike Abhisit had to get by with his family as well.
Tongue-in-cheeky

I think it goes a bit deeper within the Democratic Party, as there has been a lot of internal fighting and possibly a move by others to have someone else to push Abhisit out of his position.

I read in another paper where Alongkorn Ponlaboot wants to modernize the Democratic Party with new ideas. Abhisit did not like his new ideas and this was causing conflict between the two. It is alleged the other members of the party like some of Ponlaboot's ideas.

I would say if Abhisit has a case to answer re his Military dismissal, that will put the icing on the cake and the Democrats will have a new leader.

This would be right up Yingluck's alley, especially as Abhisit has already said his party cant win the next election.

Democrat Party deputy leader Alongkorn Polabutr yesterday slammed his party colleagues for accusing him of lacking ideology and principle, and for saying he had proposed a reform blueprint that allegedly follows in the Pheu Thai Party's footsteps of "intoxicating people with populist policies".

I see what you mean the Dems werent happy with Alongkorn plan to make them a clone of PTP. However, I cant find a hint that anyone except the PTP are unhappy with Abhist. Although I did read the Dems are expecting a snap election in a few months.
Edited by waza

Could this mean that he is banned for 5 years, or just until the next election?

Whatever it means, I'm sure it will be of enormous benefit to Thailand.

Anybody willing to look in the government's in-tray and anything related to moving Thailand forward? Or at least anything related to helping the people?

Seems like governing Thailand has been put on-hold while PTP attempt to remove another obstacle in the path of their 'one party democracy' utopia.

UPDATE:
Constitutional Court to review Abhisit's MP status

Attayuth Bootsripoom
Piyanut Tumnukasetchai
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva's political future is hanging in the balance after the Constitutional Court yesterday voted to review his MP status, following the controversial revocation of his Army rank.

The court voted 7-2 to review Abhisit's MP status as requested by 134 Pheu Thai MPs. They allege that he was unqualified to become an MP in line with Article 106 (5) and Article 102 (6) of the Constitution after Defence Minister ACM Sukampol Suwannathat revoked Abhisit's rank of Army captain.

If the Constitutional Court invokes the two articles and rules that Abhisit is unqualified to become an MP, he will not be able to stand as an MP in another election. Article 106 (5) states that the "membership of a member of the House of Representatives terminates upon being under any prohibition under Article 102.

Article 102 (6) states that an MP must not "have been expelled, dismissed or removed from official service, a state agency or a state enterprise on the grounds of dishonest performance of duties or corruption".

The defence minister's order to revoke Abhisit's rank states that his behaviour "violated the morality, ethics and good tradition of commissioned military officers. The deed was dishonest and a severe violation of military disciplines so he should no longer be allowed to remained in military service. And the committee of the Defence Ministry considered and saw that he should be fired from the service for disciplinary violations".

The Constitutional Court will be required to consider whether Abhisit committed wrongdoing as charged or not. If the court rules that Abhisit was fired from military service because of malfeasance, he faces disqualification from ever becoming an MP again.

Abhisit was given the rank of captain for having served as a teacher for the military pre-cadet school, but Sukampol alleges the Democrat leader dodged military conscription and used fake documents to apply for the post. He issued an order to fire Abhisit from military service as the pre-cadet school's teacher retroactively to June 2, 1988. Abhisit was also ordered to return his military earnings.

Abhisit later filed a complaint with the Central Administration Court against the rank revocation, alleging Sukampol was abusing his authority to prosecute him. Constitutional Court chief spokesman Pimol Thampi-thakpong said the Court would send a subpoena to Abhisit, requesting him to send a written explanation to the court within 15 days.

The two judges who rejected the request were Nurak Mapraneet and Chat Chonlavorn. They reasoned that the rank revocation had not been finalised yet because Abhisit was still appealing against it in the Administrative Court.

In a related development, a group of activists who call themselves "Thais Who Love Peace" submitted a petition to Senate Speaker Nikom Waiyaratphanich, calling for Sukampol to be impeached.

The group's leader, Kanchanee Wallayasewri, submitted signatures from 25,000 voters to back the impeachment petition. The petition alleges that Sukampol abused his authority and violated Article 270 of the Constitution after trying to damage the reputation of Abhisit with the rank revocation order.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-17