Restaurants In Thailand: A Sad State Of Affairs

zaphodbeeblebrox

Well, now it's official, as to just how mediocre restaurant offerings are in Thailand. Thailand only placed 2 restaurants in a list of the top 101 restaurants in Asia.

http://www.thedailymeal.com/101-best-restaurants-asia

Bo.lan came in at #66 http://www.bolan.co.th/wordpress/?page_id=12

Nahm came in at #19 http://www.comohotels.com/metropolitanbangkok/dining/nahm/concept

What's obvious is that the Thais can't even present their own cuisine in a manner that can compete in gastronomic terms with other Asian offerings. There are more Thai restaurants from other Asian nations on this list, than Thai restaurants in Thailand. Nahm is run by a Londoner, who failed in London, and is trying to demonstrate that Thai dishes can be elegant. Bo.lan is royal thai cuisine, but is run by 2 farang chefs with a Thai advisor chef.

Of course, no international cuisine restaurant in Thailand made this list, or probably were even considered.

shock1.gif

• Like 2

Who has this crazy idea about Thai restaurants. I can take you to many Thai Restaurants in Bangkok or Chiang Mai which are in my view top class. Some Thai restaurants over here are amongst the best in the world

Well, they're certainly among the best in Thailand.

• Like 2

I've never eaten Thai food outside of Thailand that was anywhere near as good as what you can get in some small, non-touristy establishments inside the country, mainly because the touristy places and the Thai restaurants in other countries have to dumb down the food for MacDonald's numbed taste buds.

I have. In areas with lots of Thais. Thaitown San Francisco, Thaitown LA, San Jose CA, and Washington DC suburbs. I'd probably agree the MAJORITY of global Thai eateries are dumbed down, but not all.

Edited by Jingthing

I've never eaten Thai food outside of Thailand that was anywhere near as good as what you can get in some small, non-touristy establishments inside the country, mainly because the touristy places and the Thai restaurants in other countries have to dumb down the food for MacDonald's numbed taste buds.

I have. In areas with lots of Thais. Thaitown San Francisco, Thaitown LA, San Jose CA, and Washington DC suburbs. I'd probably agree the MAJORITY of global Thai eateries are dumbed down, but not all.

Haven't eaten Thai food on the west coast, but did try a couple of places around Chicago, another in Lahore, Pakistan and one or two in Dubai. All were major disappointments, but even in Bangkok or Pattaya, I'm not all that thrilled with most of the places that attract mainly tourists. They may have interesting ambience and nice table settings, but the food falls flat. The best food I've had recently was at Ruen Urai off of Surawong in Bangkok and another place on Surawong with the ambience of a bus station, the name of which escapes me at the moment ... both of which do tend to attract tourists ... and from time-to-time small hole-in-the-wall places in Pattaya that tend to frighten away tourists.

Edited by Suradit69

Who has this crazy idea about Thai restaurants. I can take you to many Thai Restaurants in Bangkok or Chiang Mai which are in my view top class. Some Thai restaurants over here are amongst the best in the world

Well, they're certainly among the best in Thailand.

I'm a bit surprised that my favorite, at the carwash on third road pattaya, isn't included in the list.

One of the better Tom yum khai's I have ever eaten in Thailand, and at 50 Baht including rice............

• Like 2

It's a simple fact. Thai food has not evolved in variety, innovation, and sophistication like other cuisines such as Chinese, French, Peruvian, American, etc. I think there is an argument to be made that Thai cuisine has on sum DEVOLVED.

Edited by Jingthing

Please please Thailand, don't succumb to the pretentiousness of the west when it comes to dining out. An industry designed to remove money willingly from those who have too much to start with!

It's a simple fact. Thai food has not evolved in variety, innovation, and sophistication like other cuisines such as Chinese, French, Peruvian, American, etc. I think there is an argument to be made that Thai cuisine has on sum DEVOLVED.

You are joking? American is the second worst least sophisticated food I've eaten (Apart from steaks). French has gone downhill rapidly in the last 20 years. I like real Chinese food, but it doesn't have the variety or instensity that Thai offers. Never tried Peruvian so can't comment.

Thai is the world's number 1 cuisine, IMHO, for sheer variety, availability, intensitiy of flavours, textures and combinations. I eaten some marvellous meals in small unpretentious Thai restaurants over the last 30 years; and some in first class restaurants.

Each to their own - all a question of taste buds. But I certainly wouldn't put much credance on a publication of this quality.

• Like 2

Please please Thailand, don't succumb to the pretentiousness of the west when it comes to dining out. An industry designed to remove money willingly from those who have too much to start with!

Yep - Like the so called nouveau cuisine. Very high cost for very little food, cooked and presented pretentiously so you think you're actually getting something for the large bill!

Give me noodles and chicken feet any day wai2.gif

• Like 1

Haven't eaten Thai food on the west coast, but did try a couple of places around Chicago, another in Lahore, Pakistan and one or two in Dubai. All were major disappointments, but even in Bangkok or Pattaya, I'm not all that thrilled with most of the places that attract mainly tourists. They may have interesting ambience and nice table settings, but the food falls flat. The best food I've had recently was at Ruen Urai off of Surawong in Bangkok and another place on Surawong with the ambience of a bus station, the name of which escapes me at the moment ... both of which do tend to attract tourists ... and from time-to-time small hole-in-the-wall places in Pattaya that tend to frighten away tourists.

The Thai Express restaurant in Abu Dhabi's Al Wada mall food court is surprisingly good. The girls serving at the counter are usually Pinay's who greet you with "Sawasdeekhrab". Don't be put off, there are some Thai cooks. The som tam thia poo is realy good, and a big portion. All the other dishes I've eaten there, and they have a good selection, are also authentic and good value. My wife likes it there too.

You are joking? American is the second worst least sophisticated food I've eaten (Apart from steaks). French has gone downhill rapidly in the last 20 years. I like real Chinese food, but it doesn't have the variety or instensity that Thai offers. Never tried Peruvian so can't comment.

Thai is the world's number 1 cuisine, IMHO, for sheer variety, availability, intensitiy of flavours, textures and combinations. I eaten some marvellous meals in small unpretentious Thai restaurants over the last 30 years; and some in first class restaurants.

Each to their own - all a question of taste buds. But I certainly wouldn't put much credance on a publication of this quality.

I'm talking about the innovation going on, not the traditional stereotypes.

American? Google Alice Waters.

Chinese is MUCH more varied than Thai food! No contest. There are many many regional variations. Intensity? Real Sechuan blows the socks of anything Thai.

Peruvian innovative chefs are globally very hot. Thai chefs are hot to cook the SAME old stuff. Big difference.

French. I don't really have a strong opinion. I know amazing stuff is happening in Spain though.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

To the OP, the Thai restaurants don't have to compete. And i am quite sure they will never have to, because they are authentic.

This does not take away the fact that french or Korean cuisine for example have their own distinctive signature and are delicious in their own way.

Why compare?

One aspect of this that hasn't been touched in the discussion so far is that Thai people eat Thai food at home (duh!). They're not going to go out to eat something they can cook themselves. If you look at the chain restaurants popular with the middle classes, you find (very pseudo-) Japanese and Korean places are probably the most popular, along with junk American fast food. There simply isn't the market here to sustain more refined versions of Thai cuisine outside the major tourist areas - and even then, the food will be mostly "adjusted" for the foreign palate.

The way I see the OP is this.

If a hot new Thai restaurant opens in San Francisco, the food savvy public expects another take on TRADITIONAL Thai food (as known in the U.S.).

If a hot new Peruvian restaurant opens in San Francisco, the food savvy public expects a world class creative Peruvian chef doing innovative interpretations of Peruvian food.

Not saying good or bad. That's just the international profile Thai food has now.

Part of this is about fashion and the new and exciting factor. Thai food is not new and exciting.

http://soshiok.com/article/21919

Spurred by a combination of unique factors, notably the country's
melting-pot culture, well-travelled chefs influenced by the gastronomic
revolution in places such as France and Spain, plus a younger generation
of local chefs dedicated to modern cooking techniques and working with
high-quality indigenous ingredients, Peru is arguably the Next Big Place
on the global dining scene.

(Yes, I've been. It's fantastic.)

Edited by Jingthing

Yep - Like the so called nouveau cuisine. Very high cost for very little food, cooked and presented pretentiously so you think you're actually getting something for the large bill!

Give me noodles and chicken feet any day wai2.gif

Says a lot about the credibility of your post at #15...................

The way I see the OP is this.

If a hot new Thai restaurant opens in San Francisco, the food savvy public expects another take on TRADITIONAL Thai food (as known in the U.S.).

If a hot new Peruvian restaurant opens in San Francisco, the food savvy public expects a world class creative Peruvian chef doing innovative interpretations of Peruvian food.

Not saying good or bad. That's just the international profile Thai food has now. 

Part of this is about fashion and the new and exciting factor. Thai food is not new and exciting. 

http://soshiok.com/article/21919

Spurred by a combination of unique factors, notably the country's

melting-pot culture, well-travelled chefs influenced by the gastronomic

revolution in places such as France and Spain, plus a younger generation

of local chefs dedicated to modern cooking techniques and working with

high-quality indigenous ingredients, Peru is arguably the Next Big Place

on the global dining scene.

(Yes, I've been. It's fantastic.)

The culinary guide to Guinea Pig? :D

I think it isn't so much about how many restaurants are on lists, but the general international public perception of the international brand: Thai food. I think that's something like, we like it, we know what it is, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere NEW though.

The Thai food in the good Thai restaurants in LA's Thai town is fantastic. The quality of the produce available in the USA is 1000 times better than here and the good Thai chefs really know how to use it to prepare all the classic northern, southern, and Isaan dishes.

• 5 weeks later...

JT, where is Thaitown in SF?