Attic Insulation Udon

ray23

I know where to find it. But everyone is talking about taking the roof off to do it. That to me that is just insane.

Does anyone know of a company in the Udon area, that will shoot the insulation in?

Just to be clear, there are three different methods that I know of:

1 - lay insulation on the floor of the roof void (common but not cheap).

2 - spray an expansive mix against the inside of the roof tiles (less common but most effective)

3 - shoot insulation into the roof void (never heard of that in Thailand, only in the UK).

2 - spray an expansive mix against the inside of the roof tiles (less common but most effective)

3 - shoot insulation into the roof void (never heard of that in Thailand, only in the UK).

1. used to be ~80 Baht/m², if properly installed quite effective.

2. spraying tiles not effective at all. it will only delay but not prevent that the attic heats up and heat is transferred to the rooms below.

3. best choice but unfortunately...

4. a must is ventilation of the attic!

• Like 1

2. spraying tiles not effective at all. it will only delay but not prevent that the attic heats up and heat is transferred to the rooms below.

Hey Naam would there be any advantage in insulating the roof in the attic in an area above a particular room/rooms only?

Agreed on point 4 but disagreed on point 2, unless a metal roof of course. From experience the use of underside spray combined with good ventilation works well, in my case on clay tiles.

Hey Naam would there be any advantage in insulating the roof in the attic in an area above a particular room/rooms only?

you'd save a few Baht, that's all.

Do they sell the rotating roof vents in Thailand? I've never seen on, nor have I seen a ventilated roof.

this might help answer a couple of the questions asked:

http://www.yourhome.gov.au/technical/fs48.html

yes they are available. they are quite inefficient when there is no breeze but render a satisfactory performance if driven by a breeze.

use the search function there are several threads concerning attic ventilation and insulation.

Agreed on point 4 but disagreed on point 2, unless a metal roof of course. From experience the use of underside spray combined with good ventilation works well, in my case on clay tiles.

what's the thickness of the foam? whatever i have seen until now were jokes.

p.s. for the price of any thickness you can ventilate your attic "Rolls Royce" style with fans, timers and heat sensors which makes an insulation of the tiles obsolete.

Edited by Naam

I have thought of insulation but have plasterboard (gypsum) ceilings on an aluminium frame suspended by wires from the steel roof beams. Has anybody used the kind of insulation that comes in rolls with a foil facing with this type of ceiling?

Edited by citizen33

Naam has it right all the way on this one.

Many places in farangland we are insulating to hold heat in the winter and to keep out heat in the summer. Thus we insulate the ceiling. In LOS it's all about keeping heat from building up in the attic. Even though an attic doesn't let in direct solar radiation like a car, it still tends to get hotter than the outside if it isn't vented. That attic heat will enter the house by convection and by radiation. If you can keep the attic from getting much hotter than the ambient temperature outside, then it won't affect the inside of the house.

The only benefit to insulating the ceiling is to help hold your air conditioned temperature. But even that is mostly futile because cool air falls to the floor, and heat rises. The moving air conditioned air would benefit a little by having the ceiling insulated, because the ceiling material could begin to cool a little. A little.

Insulating the underside of the roof is futile without ventilation. Even then any insulation should be against the ceiling, and the attempt on the attic should be with ventilation.

Attic ventilation works because heat rises. You therefore need vents at the eaves, and vents near the ridge so that you have flow. That's ventilation.

Those turbine type vents work when the wind doesn't blow because they still allow heat to rise through them. They just work better when the wind blows. Any kind of vents at the eave and vents near the ridge will be better than nothing.

Improper ventilation of the roof will also cause moisture buildup which can lead to structural damage. Here is a way to roughly figure out how much vent area you need. Link

what's the thickness of the foam? whatever i have seen until now were jokes.

p.s. for the price of any thickness you can ventilate your attic "Rolls Royce" style with fans, timers and heat sensors which makes an insulation of the tiles obsolete.

I've used the spray on foam several times over the years under various circumstances and for different applications:

the first time was many years ago on the inside walls of a panel truck in order to improve the thermal value but also to deaden road noise and it was most effective, the mix is sprayed on but the foam expands as it cures and dries leaving a barrier that is about three quarters of an inch thick, the same principles and attributes apply to the foam I've used in houses.

In home applications there is a canned aerosol product that is called "gap fill" which is just excellent, I've used it in place of cement where a pipe runs through a wall and ther space around the pipe needs to be filled, squirt this stuff in and it expands several times over until it dries rock hard with the excess squuezing itself out of the hole which is then cut off with a knife, that's the same stuff I've seen used on roofs and it's resistant to all manner of things, I often see it used on metal roofs in Thaiand to deaden rain noise but also reduce radiated heat, particularly it seems in car dealer workshops.

So finally back to the roof spray (in a hot climate): agreed that if there is no/poor ventilation it will not work well but a decent spary using the foam described above should produce a barrier of between three quarters and one inch, it produces the added benefit of course that it also reduces water ingress and prevents birds/bugs getting into the roof void - I'd use it again.

TOTALLY! I put double foil faced 6" bats, 60cm wide to fit over my T-bar tile grid, tightly and nicely fitted, in only the master bedroom and master bath. Beautiful.

Just a totally different thing. When you run the air-con in there, it could be a fridge if you wanted. It holds the cool, also. Bought at Home Mart in rolls. P.S. I have white cool roof tiles, and white cool paint on the whole house. I think it helps.

1, Reflective foil installed under the roofing tiles will limit the reflected heat from the tiles.

2. Fiberglass insulation, foil wrapped is best, installed on the ceiling. 15 cm (6") is most effective.

3. VENTILATE THE ATTIC!! The spinning vents are fine but not necessary - they spin as a result of the rising hot air so a fixed "chimney-type" will do the same job but without needing maintenance of the spinner.

4. Make sure there is lots of inlet ventilation spaces under the eaves. Clean the insect mesh/netting periodically so it doesn't get clogged with dust.

5. Ensure that the residents don't open windows or leave doors open to "let fresh air inside".

I have thought of insulation but have plasterboard (gypsum) ceilings on an aluminium frame suspended by wires from the steel roof beams. Has anybody used the kind of insulation that comes in rolls with a foil facing with this type of ceiling?

most buildings are like this. it is quite tricky to install the insulation. that's why i suggest you use a crew (subcontractor) which is usually provided by the shops selling the insulation rolls. they are experienced and usually do a satisfactory job.

i still don't understand why the "American" way of blowing in insulation is not available. it would be perfect. dry.png

What are they 'blowing in' Naam?

Foam? To settle on the floor of the roof void, or to settle on the underside of the tiles?

Insulation pellets or similar to settle on the floor?

Sounds like a business opportunity for someone (s wiferolleyes.gif )

What are they 'blowing in' Naam?

Foam? To settle on the floor of the roof void, or to settle on the underside of the tiles?

Insulation pellets or similar to settle on the floor?

Sounds like a business opportunity for someone (s wiferolleyes.gif )

i think it is an excellent business opportunity but the raw materia (fire resistant cellulose or other fibers) is lacking.

http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-install-blown-in-cellulose-insulation/index.html

blown-in-insulation-process.jpg

At one time there was guy here that would spray the roof tiles. Have no idea he is around. I have the rolls, which would be efficient. However I never found a contractor that knows how to really use it. The supplier doesn't know of one. The ones I have found want to remove the roof easy for them more money and end result of roof leaks probably.

Venting agreed important. Problem I see is in the commercial operations I have seen during a rain big puddle of water underneath them.

The problem isn't finding the insulation it's finding someone who knows how to install it correctly. There is a narrow space next to the location of the roof and the outer wall is small. I would be satisfied with them pushing the insulation in, if they would tape is as best they could.

Anyone ever tried to explain a different way of doing things to a Thai. Never met one yet that isn't smarter then I am.

I understand not going to be a fun job, But, then they get paid. This isn't new construction a nine year old house.

I have already used reflective paint and provided good shade all around the house. Yesterday it was 101 F here, aircon could not keep up with it. Happens every year.

Anyone know of a contractor that knows how to do this in the Udon area?

one for the moderator:

any idea why I'm getting this message for attempting to send 2 lines of text?

You have posted more than the allowed number of quoted blocks of text