Frangipani Trees

Not sure if this is the right forum but hope so. We have many frangipani trees as my wife and i both love them and are trying to create a perfumed garden effect on our 5 rai. But, they always seem to be all branches, green foliage -in season, and beautiful but not so many, flowers. Is there any way of encouraging more flowers ? I assume that more fertiliser will just make larger trees. Comments appreciated.

I don't pretend to be an expert on Frangipani, but your problem could be a deficiency of available phosphorous.

Note the word available. Most soils are not overly deficient in phosphorous, but it is not in a form that makes it available to the plant.

Isaan Aussie is quite the expert on using EM to improve soil microbial life that converts unavailable nutrients to available nutrients and so he may have some good advice. Mycorrhizae-forming fungi are good for improving uptake of phosphorous.

Nitrogen and Potassium leach readily into the soil. It is not the same with phosphorous. Top dressing with phosphorous will mean that it will stay in the top level and not reach the roots.

If you want to add phosphorous rich fertiliser to trees, you will need to dig a trench around the tree, just beyond the canopy dripline and add the fertiliser at root level.

Dr Treelove may have more useful advice about this.

OK, I have an extensive collection of frangipani trees I collected all over the world.

From my personal observations: they thrive in poor soils.

Like all trees, will prosper with fertilizer input but will only flower properly in very dry weather.

If your property is moist with good soil; you will have a hard time getting them to constantly bloom.

Frangipanis are prettiest, when, in dry weather all green leaves drop, you are left with a forest of bare sticks topped by beautiful flowers.

Best regards.

• Like 1

OK, I have an extensive collection of frangipani trees I collected all over the world.

From my personal observations: they thrive in poor soils.

Like all trees, will prosper with fertilizer input but will only flower properly in very dry weather.

If your property is moist with good soil; you will have a hard time getting them to constantly bloom.

Frangipanis are prettiest, when, in dry weather all green leaves drop, you are left with a forest of bare sticks topped by beautiful flowers.

Best regards.

Interesting to know.

I only have 1 frangipani in a well drained raised bed. It flowers well enough, but is well watered. I will see how it goes with less watering.