How Secret Is Your Tv Identity?

eyecatcher

I well recall the first time I announced to three blokes that I was a member. They all looked at each other then looked at me and started laughing. They then explained that they think everyone on here is a nutter, so I replied 'well, i am in good company then' ! Since then I don't bother telling anyone unless they happen to tell me first, which is rare...three so far.

I don't know that I agree with your friends (though I can understand shy they'd think that) as I think there are at least SOME very sensible folks here...but what your anecdote reminds of is how odd and kind of funny it is that it seems like not a few members of TV tend think all expats are here when surely it must be a minority; I was in this country for decades before I ever visited...

I wonder if this hidden identity thing is Thailand-specific.

Or maybe even from a past era, as on more modern online communities (Twitter, Facebook) people tend to be themselves.

I can see it all now.

10:55 From Winnie. Joe Blow I am going out for coffee now'

11:01 From Winnie. Joe blow I am out now but can't decide where to go

11:03 From Joe blow Go to Starbucks

11:05 From Winnie Whixh one I am close to Wat Chedi Luang

11:07 From Jane Doe I am just going into the one at Thai Pah gate

11:08 From Sally me to

11:10 From Winnie Why don't we all meet at Starbucks at Thai Pah Gate

11:11 from Jane Doe sounds like a plan

11;12 from Sally good idea 11:12 from uptheos count me in

11:15 Mass resignation of moderators.

Members of the farming forum meet regularly.

I once sent a posting to say that I could, if necessary, live on Baht10 000.- a month. Both my wife and her daughter were interrogated separately in the market the next day by 'ladies' demanding much larger sums from their in absentia Farang husbands. Dunno how they worked out who I was and don't really care.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I'm not paranoid. I don't mind people knowing who I am, but then I'm not posting from an office when I should be working. I also don't take nasty potshots at people I don't know, either. And, if I do know them then they know I'm just friendly teasing.

not sure whether my count is correct but over the years i had 29 TV-members as guests in my home, most of them also knowing my real name.

In other forums I was a part of and in this one, I am almost always reluctant to meet with fellow members, I never attend forum gatherings, and I prefer to keep my real life quite separate from Internet relationships....

But for some reason that is not clear to me, it strikes me as rather nice that you've had all those forum people as your guest. (Not something I will ever emulate though!)

i wouldn't call it "rather nice" but consider it quite normal that people meet to discuss or exchange views on mutual interests. 17 years ago i was one of the founding members of a financial discussion forum. it took about five years till the "hardcore", a dozen or so bankers, traders and investors met in a country convenient to travel for all of us. since then we meet each and every day in a forum (no specific threads because there's only one main topic) where people are discussing 24/7 finances.

moreover, the whole group (now more than three dozen members) meets at least twice a year, once in South America or the Caribic and once in Asia. strong friendships have developed, some of the "attached" ladies meet once a year (always in a different country) and members have and are still receiving valuable advice and quite often tangible assistance, e.g. getting admission to universities and accomodation for offsprings who want to study a few semesters in a different country... the list is endless.

so why not meeting with people from the vicinity who share mutual interests and who don't need 12-20 (or more) travelling hours to meet?

not sure whether my count is correct but over the years i had 29 TV-members as guests in my home, most of them also knowing my real name.

In other forums I was a part of and in this one, I am almost always reluctant to meet with fellow members, I never attend forum gatherings, and I prefer to keep my real life quite separate from Internet relationships....

But for some reason that is not clear to me, it strikes me as rather nice that you've had all those forum people as your guest. (Not something I will ever emulate though!)

i wouldn't call it "rather nice" but consider it quite normal that people meet to discuss or exchange views on mutual interests. 17 years ago i was one of the founding members of a financial discussion forum. it took about five years till the "hardcore", a dozen or so bankers, traders and investors met in a country convenient to travel for all of us. since then we meet each and every day in a forum (no specific threads because there's only one main topic) where people are discussing 24/7 finances.

moreover, the whole group (now more than three dozen members) meets at least twice a year, once in South America or the Caribic and once in Asia. strong friendships have developed, some of the "attached" ladies meet once a year (always in a different country) and members have and are still receiving valuable advice and quite often tangible assistance, e.g. getting admission to universities and accomodation for offsprings who want to study a few semesters in a different country... the list is endless.

so why not meeting with people from the vicinity who share mutual interests and who don't need 12-20 (or more) travelling hours to meet?

Uhmmm...OK. Thanks for telling me about your other group, I guess?

"Normal" or not, I thought it was rather nice. Hope that's alright - the two descriptions are hardly mutually exclusive.