Retirement 'harmful To Health', Study Says

Mike45

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Photo of the bread rolls when they come out the oven please!

I just cooked myself a two egg omelette with pieces of bacon and sausage, with two slices of thickly buttered wholemeal on the side.

The crusty ones aren't crusty enogh yet but it is a first try. The soft ones are better but I have had more practice at them.

I had 2 eggs, sliced moo yaw and homemade honey and mustard bacon for my traditional Sunday lunch.

post-5614-0-83529400-1368947514_thumb.jp

The crusty rolls

post-5614-0-52530500-1368947527_thumb.jp

Soft rolls

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

Both sets of rolls look good to me.

Now I want to buy an oven too.

I bought my breadmaker in NZ about 4 years ago and I bought the oven for about 3,000 baht in Makro last year.

Verasu do a breadmaker but it is out of stock however depending on where you live places like Central may have them.

http://www.verasu.com/product_detail.php?pid=514

post-5614-0-68866800-1368948195_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Well of course governments who have to pay retirement funds would think people should retire later

I couldn't wait to retire because I have so many hobbies.

And yes, 100% of people who retire die. It's shocking and something should be done about it for sure. tongue.png

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

After working my ass off for well over 40yrs. (mental and physical)I'm still resting up. One year rest, for 10 yrs. work.

Come November, I may start running marathons, in the heavyweight division.

Well of course governments who have to pay retirement funds would think people should retire later

I couldn't wait to retire because I have so many hobbies.

And yes, 100% of people who retire die. It's shocking and something should be done about it for sure. tongue.png

I have seen it on record that even people who are not even old enough to retire die as well so the government is saving money there.

I just cooked myself a two egg omelette with pieces of bacon and sausage, with two slices of thickly buttered wholemeal on the side.

The crusty ones aren't crusty enogh yet but it is a first try. The soft ones are better but I have had more practice at them.

I had 2 eggs, sliced moo yaw and homemade honey and mustard bacon for my traditional Sunday lunch.

attachicon.gifcrusty rolls v01 resized.jpg

The crusty rolls

attachicon.gifsoft rolls v04 resized.jpg

Soft rolls

Have you read this book, been flicking through, a few things I would like to try.

Bread Matters: The Sorry State of Modern Bread and a Definitive Guide to Baking Your Own by Andrew Whitley

Another major health problem for foreign residents here, very common for us to allow ourselves to become relatively isolated emotionally:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/113176/science-loneliness-how-isolation-can-kill-you#

It seems that "lack of intimacy" is the major risk factor, so IMO a very active sex life isn't a substitute if they are purely physical "relationships".

A major takeaway for me - for both issues - is "don't put all your eggs in one basket".

Another major health problem for foreign residents here, very common for us to allow ourselves to become relatively isolated emotionally:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/113176/science-loneliness-how-isolation-can-kill-you#

It seems that "lack of intimacy" is the major risk factor, so IMO a very active sex life isn't a substitute if they are purely physical "relationships".

A major takeaway for me - for both issues - is "don't put all your eggs in one basket".

Happens to people who turn 'rural' all the time.

Isolated from everyone who can speak their own language.

Living with a woman from a different age group.

They can end up isolated and lonely.

Better for most foreigners to live in/near one of the big cities IMHO.

-

Some people let themselves get completely isolated even in a big city, and if you've got sufficient proficiency in other languages you don't have to limit yourself to your own.

My point is that you may well have a very attractive, athletic, young enthusiastic partner for sex and romance, but you should invest time and effort into other relationships as well, particularly when it's likely that deep emotional connection and/or intellectual stimulation are lacking.

Used to be the case most people just automatically grew up with a supportive community around them. These days no matter where you live, you usually have to build one around you from scratch, and of course that requires mindful intention, time and energy invested in those compatible (not necessarily like-minded) people you can find.

But it seems to be a critical part of a healthy lifestyle, as much as sleep, nutrition and exercise.

Edited by PalMan
  • Like 1

Hey!!! I'm one of those "rurals" your talking about... wife is around my age but....speaks perfect english. She's my best mate, and we work side by side everyday doing something we both enjoy....Been a fair few years now, and loving it.

I dont have bloody time to get isolated or lonely....Retirement was the best decision I have made in years. NOW I dont have to go to Bars and the such anymore.....thumbsup.gif

I have been rural now since 2004 apart from half the time until May 2009 working offshore. Since May 2009 I have been aq full time rural living in a small moo ban strung out for a couple of km along the road. The nearest village of any size is 6 km back up the road and the nearest town of any size is Khampaeng Phet 65 km away.

I am 69 this week, my wife will be 48 in October and our son will be 9 in August and we live on about 14 rai. My mother in law has a small house just across from ours on the land.

I used to do the tat ya or scrub and grass clearance but we have a part time guy now.

I spend my time on my hobbly of cooking, on the internet, reading, out on my motorbike sometimes but I feel that I am getting a bit old for that.

I sometimes go to see farang friends and other times they come here.

I don't think I have the time to spare to be "emotionally isolated".

I have lived and worked in 38 countries over my 50 year working life in cities, towns and villages and I can honestly say I know more people in my moo ban than I ever did in the UK wherever I lived.

Cities have a few good sides, bookshops, western style food supermarkets and odd things like that. The downside is the pollution, dirt, cost of living, space is virtually non existant, traffic jams and for me just too many people.

Rural living for me is great but it isn't for everybody.

• Like 1

http://faculty.kfupm.edu.sa/coe/gutub/English_Misc/Retire1.htm

Longevity Vs. Retirement Age

The pension funds in many large corporations (e.g., Boeing, Lockheed Martin, AT&T, Lucent Technologies, etc.) have been “Over Funded” because many “late retirees” who keep-on working into their old age and retire late after the age of 65 tend to die within two years after their retirements. In other words, many of these late retirees do not live long enough to collect all their fair shares of pension money such that they leave a lot of extra-unused money in the pension funds resulting in the over-funded pension funds.

Dr. Ephrem (Siao Chung) Cheng provided the important results in the following Table 1 and the associated chart from an actuarial study of life span vs. age at retirement. The study was based on the number of pension checks sent to retirees of Boeing Aerospace.

Table 1 – Actuarial Study of life span vs. age at retirement.

Age at Retirement-Average AgeAt Death

49.9-86

51.2-85.3

52.5-84.6

53.8-83.9

55.1-83.2

56.4-82.5

57.2-81.4

58.3-80

59.2-78.5

60.1-76.8

61-74.5

62.1-71.8

63.1-69.3

64.1-67.9

65.2-66.8

Table 1 and the chart indicate that for people retired at the age of 50, their average life span is 86; whereas for people retired at the age of 65, their average life span is only 66.8. An important conclusion from this study is that for every year one works beyond age 55, one loses 2 years of life span on average.

The Boeing experience is that employees retiring at age of 65 receive pension checks for only 18 months, on average, prior to death. Similarly, the Lockheed experience is that employees retiring at age of 65 receive pension checks for only 17 months, on average, prior to death. Dr. David T. Chai indicated that the Bell Labs experience is similar to those of Boeing and Lockheed based on the casual observation from the Newsletters of Bell Lab retirees. A retiree from Ford Motor told Dr. Paul Tien-Lin Ho that the experience from Ford Motor is also similar to those in Boeing and Lockheed.

The statistics shown in the Pre-Retirement Seminar in Telcordia (Bellcore) indicates that the average age that Telcordia (Bellcore) employees start retirement is 57. Therefore, people who retire at the age of 65 or older are minority as compared to the number of early retirees.

The hard-working late retirees probably put too much stress on their aging body-and-mind such that they are so stressed out to develop various serious health problems that forced them to quit and retire. With such long-term stress-induced serious health problems, they die within two years after they quit and retire.

On the other hand, people who take early retirements at the age of 55 tend to live long and well into their 80s and beyond. These earlier retirees probably are either wealthier or more able to plan and manage their various aspects of their life, health and career well such that they can afford to retire early and comfortably.

These early retirees are not really idling after their early retirements to get old. They still continue doing some work. But they do the work on the part-time basis at a more leisure pace so that they do not get too stressed out. Furthermore, they have the luxury to pick and chose the types of part-time work of real interest to them so that they can enjoy and love doing that “fun” work at a more leisure pace.

The late retirees are small in number, tend to die quickly after retirement and disappear from the population of old people beyond the age of 70. Late retirees, therefore, have very little weight on the statistical average life expectancy of the population of “old people” dominated by the early retirees.

Several years ago, a Japanese friend of mine told me that most Japanese people retire at the age of 60 or earlier. This may be one of the factors contributing to the long average life span of Japanese people.

4. Conclusion and Recommendations

The pace of innovations and technology advances is getting faster and faster and is forcing everybody to compete fiercely at the Internet speed on the information super-highways. The highly productive and highly efficient workplace in USA is a pressure-cooker and a high-speed battleground for highly creative and dynamic young people to compete and to flourish.

However, when you get older, you should plan your career path and financial matter so that you can retire comfortably at the age of 55 or earlier to enjoy your long, happy and leisure retirement life into your golden age of 80s and beyond. In retirement, you can still enjoy some fun work of great interest to you and of great values to the society and the community, but at a part-time leisure pace on your own term.

On the other hand, if you are not able to get out of the pressure-cooker or the high-speed battleground at the age of 55 and “have” to keep on working very hard until the age of 65 or older before your retirement, then you probably will die within 18 months of retirement. By working very hard in the pressure cooker for 10 more years beyond the age of 55, you give up at least 20 years of your life span on average.

Boeing says that data is garbage, that retiring at 65 does not decrease your live expectancy on average. Nice try thought :)

http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/empinfo/benefits/pension/seminars/Rumor.pdf

Boeing says that data is garbage, that retiring at 65 does not decrease your live expectancy on average. Nice try thought smile.png

http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/empinfo/benefits/pension/seminars/Rumor.pdf

-

They're only talking about Boeing employees, a very narrow group.

The original study sited was a much wider epidemiological study across the spectrum of occupations, income, race education etc.

I'm sure deep-sea divers that retire earlier have longer life-spans. Orchestra conductors that retire earlier probably die sooner.

Not just occupation but I'm sure personality types vary in their correlation as well, but of course much harder to establish statistical "certainty".

Just like studies about diet and other lifestyle choices' effect on health, up to each of us to interpret and adjust to our own situation and make our own decisions.

The fact remains more and more people will simply be unable to retire at all in coming years, and those private and public agencies will have to continue to roll back their unaffordable promises.

http://faculty.kfupm.edu.sa/coe/gutub/English_Misc/Retire1.htm

Longevity Vs. Retirement Age

The pension funds in many large corporations (e.g., Boeing, Lockheed Martin, AT&T, Lucent Technologies, etc.) have been “Over Funded” because many “late retirees” who keep-on working into their old age and retire late after the age of 65 tend to die within two years after their retirements. In other words, many of these late retirees do not live long enough to collect all their fair shares of pension money such that they leave a lot of extra-unused money in the pension funds resulting in the over-funded pension funds.

Dr. Ephrem (Siao Chung) Cheng provided the important results in the following Table 1 and the associated chart from an actuarial study of life span vs. age at retirement. The study was based on the number of pension checks sent to retirees of Boeing Aerospace.

Table 1 – Actuarial Study of life span vs. age at retirement.

Age at Retirement-Average AgeAt Death

49.9-86

51.2-85.3

52.5-84.6

53.8-83.9

55.1-83.2

56.4-82.5

57.2-81.4

58.3-80

59.2-78.5

60.1-76.8

61-74.5

62.1-71.8

63.1-69.3

64.1-67.9

65.2-66.8

Table 1 and the chart indicate that for people retired at the age of 50, their average life span is 86; whereas for people retired at the age of 65, their average life span is only 66.8. An important conclusion from this study is that for every year one works beyond age 55, one loses 2 years of life span on average.

The Boeing experience is that employees retiring at age of 65 receive pension checks for only 18 months, on average, prior to death. Similarly, the Lockheed experience is that employees retiring at age of 65 receive pension checks for only 17 months, on average, prior to death. Dr. David T. Chai indicated that the Bell Labs experience is similar to those of Boeing and Lockheed based on the casual observation from the Newsletters of Bell Lab retirees. A retiree from Ford Motor told Dr. Paul Tien-Lin Ho that the experience from Ford Motor is also similar to those in Boeing and Lockheed.

The statistics shown in the Pre-Retirement Seminar in Telcordia (Bellcore) indicates that the average age that Telcordia (Bellcore) employees start retirement is 57. Therefore, people who retire at the age of 65 or older are minority as compared to the number of early retirees.

The hard-working late retirees probably put too much stress on their aging body-and-mind such that they are so stressed out to develop various serious health problems that forced them to quit and retire. With such long-term stress-induced serious health problems, they die within two years after they quit and retire.

On the other hand, people who take early retirements at the age of 55 tend to live long and well into their 80s and beyond. These earlier retirees probably are either wealthier or more able to plan and manage their various aspects of their life, health and career well such that they can afford to retire early and comfortably.

These early retirees are not really idling after their early retirements to get old. They still continue doing some work. But they do the work on the part-time basis at a more leisure pace so that they do not get too stressed out. Furthermore, they have the luxury to pick and chose the types of part-time work of real interest to them so that they can enjoy and love doing that “fun” work at a more leisure pace.

The late retirees are small in number, tend to die quickly after retirement and disappear from the population of old people beyond the age of 70. Late retirees, therefore, have very little weight on the statistical average life expectancy of the population of “old people” dominated by the early retirees.

Several years ago, a Japanese friend of mine told me that most Japanese people retire at the age of 60 or earlier. This may be one of the factors contributing to the long average life span of Japanese people.

4. Conclusion and Recommendations

The pace of innovations and technology advances is getting faster and faster and is forcing everybody to compete fiercely at the Internet speed on the information super-highways. The highly productive and highly efficient workplace in USA is a pressure-cooker and a high-speed battleground for highly creative and dynamic young people to compete and to flourish.

However, when you get older, you should plan your career path and financial matter so that you can retire comfortably at the age of 55 or earlier to enjoy your long, happy and leisure retirement life into your golden age of 80s and beyond. In retirement, you can still enjoy some fun work of great interest to you and of great values to the society and the community, but at a part-time leisure pace on your own term.

On the other hand, if you are not able to get out of the pressure-cooker or the high-speed battleground at the age of 55 and “have” to keep on working very hard until the age of 65 or older before your retirement, then you probably will die within 18 months of retirement. By working very hard in the pressure cooker for 10 more years beyond the age of 55, you give up at least 20 years of your life span on average.

Boeing says that data is garbage, that retiring at 65 does not decrease your live expectancy on average. Nice try thought :)

Boeings letter is very ambiguous. They write

"In fact, for those who retired at age 65 and are still alive – the average age is 78. This is higher than the life expectancy at birth recently published by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control of 77.2 years."

First they show you the number 78 which is only the average of the STILL LIVING retirees that retired at 65. (Let's see 5000 people retire at 65. 4998 are dead so you don't include them. One is 77. One is 79. Therefore the average age is 78. See how misleading it could possibly be!)

Then they want to compare to a real average that includes dead and living of 77.2. Ridicules.

Then they only cited data from a sample. WHY? Believe me they HAVE ALL the data so why didn't they just use it.

This is why:

"The amount of money Boeing owes for future pensions is $75-billion – more than the company’s entire stock market value. And it’s only socked away three-quarters of that money."

If my employees had an underfunded pension to the tune of 18 billion dollars I'd be telling them that they will live forever so just keep working.

Sitting is the new smoking.

Inactivity is a killer. If your retired and doing martial arts or endurance cycling, kettle bells, swimming, golf or many things then probably a lot more healthy than working in an office etc... unless you retired from being a lifeguard or boxing instructor.

The devil is in the details.

I will never forget the pictures of Jimmy Carter collapsing wile jogging (accompanied by about 50 Secret Service guys). I was in hysterics at the time. I thought that he was very ill advised.

When I was 55 I counted up all the shekels I had amassed and decide that I had enough to last me through until I was 90. I loved my job, I never thought of it as work as I enjoyed what I was doing, but I didn't see the point of continuing, For the previous 40 years i had gone to places that I didn't necessarily wanted to go, wore clothes that became a uniform but convention demanded that i wore, maintained cordial relations with work colleagues some of whom I despised and worked for some people that I considered idiots and holding positions beyond their capacity to perform to an acceptable level. At the age of 55 years I decided to dedicate the remainder of my life to what I wanted to do. Rather than strive to gain plaudits and the approbation of my supposed betters I decided that my time had come. My driving force was going to be pleasing myself now that I was off the treadmill. I planned to augment my knowledge of French and German and to learn to play the violin to an acceptable standard. I haven't found time in the last 22 years to make a start on those worthy ambitions. I have played a lot of golf, gone fishing a couple of times a week, ate sensibly to ensure that I am never liable to be labelled officially obese and spent hours teaching the family's youngsters Mathematics and English. The very idea of going to the gym and handing over my hard earned just to work up a sweat and then taking myself off to a bar to replenish the calories expended was sheer anathema to me. I measure my blood pressure every day and the results are the envy of my doctor, some 40 years younger than I. Maybe I should qualify that because I think the being a doctor. a dedicated one at least,is a very stressful occupation.

I would counsel that keeping physically active without over stressing one's body, and remaining mentally active, is a key to ensuring extending one's life span and quality of life. In particular learn to ignore the comments of the younger and mainly brain dead element, who denigrate older older folks and think that old age is something to make fun of. I comfort myself in knowing that I have forgotten more than they will ever know.

The hard part is calculating what you need in retirement and then projecting your needs and investments for a lifetime. So now that you have 22 years of experience under your belt did you find your original projections to be correct? Can you offer some advice on how to do it for someone considering retiring today?

Inactivity is a killer. If your retired and doing martial arts or endurance cycling, kettle bells, swimming, golf or many things then probably a lot more healthy than working in an office etc... unless you retired from being a lifeguard or boxing instructor.

I will never forget the pictures of Jimmy Carter collapsing wile jogging (accompanied by about 50 Secret Service guys). I was in hysterics at the time. I thought that he was very ill advised.

When I was 55 I counted up all the shekels I had amassed and decide that I had enough to last me through until I was 90. I loved my job, I never thought of it as work as I enjoyed what I was doing, but I didn't see the point of continuing, For the previous 40 years i had gone to places that I didn't necessarily wanted to go, wore clothes that became a uniform but convention demanded that i wore, maintained cordial relations with work colleagues some of whom I despised and worked for some people that I considered idiots and holding positions beyond their capacity to perform to an acceptable level. At the age of 55 years I decided to dedicate the remainder of my life to what I wanted to do. Rather than strive to gain plaudits and the approbation of my supposed betters I decided that my time had come. My driving force was going to be pleasing myself now that I was off the treadmill. I planned to augment my knowledge of French and German and to learn to play the violin to an acceptable standard. I haven't found time in the last 22 years to make a start on those worthy ambitions. I have played a lot of golf, gone fishing a couple of times a week, ate sensibly to ensure that I am never liable to be labelled officially obese and spent hours teaching the family's youngsters Mathematics and English. The very idea of going to the gym and handing over my hard earned just to work up a sweat and then taking myself off to a bar to replenish the calories expended was sheer anathema to me. I measure my blood pressure every day and the results are the envy of my doctor, some 40 years younger than I. Maybe I should qualify that because I think the being a doctor. a dedicated one at least,is a very stressful occupation.

I would counsel that keeping physically active without over stressing one's body, and remaining mentally active, is a key to ensuring extending one's life span and quality of life. In particular learn to ignore the comments of the younger and mainly brain dead element, who denigrate older older folks and think that old age is something to make fun of. I comfort myself in knowing that I have forgotten more than they will ever know.

The hard part is calculating what you need in retirement and then projecting your needs and investments for a lifetime. So now that you have 22 years of experience under your belt did you find your original projections to be correct? Can you offer some advice on how to do it for someone considering retiring today?

I did all my retirement planning back in 2002 and figured that I would work until I was 65 in 2009 and retire comfortably on my well earned gains

I planned to me and my wife and about 70THB = £1 GBP.

Reality struck as we became the proud parents on a soon to be 9 year old boy. Now equals 3 persons

I only managed to work half the time I planned and jobs are harder to get when you are older.

My wifes mother lives with us now in a small house we had built previously for the purpose but she does help out where she can. Now equals 4 persons.

My wife's nephew was banished from BKK to us last August and he is now working with the forestry deparment and does pay his way. Now makes 5.

There is nothing I can say about the exchange rates other than b****x and nothing anybody can do about it either.

What it means to me is that my retirement plans aren't working as I hoped but I am a fair way from the poverty line yet.

My advice to you Mike 45 is to sit down and carefully plan what you think you will need, triple it, add 50%, pray a lot and you shjould be OK.

Or not.

rolleyes.gifsad.pngthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

attachicon.gifcrusty rolls v01 resized.jpg

The crusty rolls

attachicon.gifsoft rolls v04 resized.jpg

Soft rolls

Have you read this book, been flicking through, a few things I would like to try.

Bread Matters: The Sorry State of Modern Bread and a Definitive Guide to Baking Your Own by Andrew Whitley

A lot has to be genetics. My dad, who is 96 and well, eats white bread with butter, eggs and bacon for breakfast every morning. He was at D-Day, wounded, and is still going strong despite suffering through the Great Depression and eating whatever he wants.

Also, some research is beginning to wonder if the buildup of plaque in arteries could have started with damage from an infection earlier, giving the "traction" for the plaque to hold onto.

Who knows. One day at a time.

I'd like to ask the Retired Expats in Thailand if they believe that retirement is harmful to their health? Or perhaps it's only true if your retired in the west. Maybe Thailand is different?

Depends.

For those who decline in physical activities and mental stimulus, it is easy to fall into stagnation, become less active due to lack of exercise, to a point where going out and about or even the simplest of tasks requires a lot of effort.

I know several people who have fallen into this category. As they have got older, their interest in specific activities has dwindled, sometimes drink and smoke in excess, blood pressure problems, vascular disease, lack of energy, tire very quickly, put on excessive weight, more prone to headaches, dizziness, strokes, heart problems, memory and awareness problems, early dementia and many other health issues associated with lack of activity.

In Thailand it is easy to fall into this mode, a problem that all expats should be aware of.

post-110219-0-56039100-1369152860_thumb.

Edited by Beetlejuice

My advice to you Mike 45 is to sit down and carefully plan what you think you will need, triple it, add 50%, pray a lot and you shjould be OK.

Or not.

rolleyes.gifsad.pngthumbsup.gif

-

Or perhaps make sure you're enjoying life as you go, taking breaks between career/business model changes and don't expect to ever retire, if you get to the end of the line and can't work and no one's supporting you nothing for it but the silver bullet, or nembutal if you prefer.

If you don't enjoy your work then slaving away at it for x decades in the (ever more remote) hope you'll have some money to enjoy the end bit doesn't seem too sensible to me.

I did all my retirement planning back in 2002 and figured that I would work until I was 65 in 2009 and retire comfortably on my well earned gains

I planned to me and my wife and about 70THB = £1 GBP.

Reality struck as we became the proud parents on a soon to be 9 year old boy. Now equals 3 persons

I only managed to work half the time I planned and jobs are harder to get when you are older.

My wifes mother lives with us now in a small house we had built previously for the purpose but she does help out where she can. Now equals 4 persons.

My wife's nephew was banished from BKK to us last August and he is now working with the forestry deparment and does pay his way. Now makes 5.

There is nothing I can say about the exchange rates other than b****x and nothing anybody can do about it either.

What it means to me is that my retirement plans aren't working as I hoped but I am a fair way from the poverty line yet.

Or not.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Thanks for that explanation.

When I do my projections I use 20 Baht =1USD. I am hoping that is on the historical and future safe side. I think it is very difficult to project future expenses in Thailand.

Realistically if I tripled expected expenses and then added 50% I probably would never be able to retire.

Neversure

I agree that generics has a great deal to play in our health. The problem is we just don't know what OUR genes have planned for us.

I worked with a guy that had a similar story about his father and mother so he stayed at work instead of retiring with his wife as she repeatedly requested. He was 70-72 and had a debilitating stroke. Now she has him at home. In a wheel chair drooling out one side of his mouth. He might live to his 90's. Not only was he robbed so was she.

Most people die by 85. I think I will not plan for more than that.