Age Difference In Relationships In Thailand

WilliamCave

Rene, some men in Thailand have a girlfriend who doesn't live with them. She has her own job and apartment. He helps her out with, in the case of one I know of, 10,000 baht per month, and of course the occasional dinner out or whatever. This way, either is free to quit at any time. One I know of has lasted for ten years. The gal is in her early 30's and he is in his 60's.

Thais have these arrangements too. It's not uncommon.

I don't understand why a woman couldn't do the same.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of woman who seek older men, I'm not saying i'm right but i'm entitled to my thoughts.

I don't think highly of girls that accept gifts like Houses or cars, more so if they have one already,It does not say much about the womans character as she could say no being that it's not needed.

I also could not understand from any point of view why anyone in the right mind would purchase a house in Thailand, It's not and never will be yours.

So you're just not a fan of women then?All girls like older guys because all girls are in love with their Father,it's called the Electra Complex and the male version is the Oedipus Complex.

Some of you wet-behind-the-ears kids on here are very naïve,then again I knew it all when I was in my twenties also!Posted Image

Hot twentysomething girls don't like guys the same age because they are all like dogs with two dicks,it's not a challenge for a hot young girl to date some young idiot who has no idea how to treat her and is way too immature for her!

Not only have you generalized to a ridiculous extent but you've mangled the Electra/Oedipal complexes - Jung's theory is by no means proven or universally accepted and even he never said "all girls are in love with their father" - it is supposed to be a stage of development that people pass through as young children. It is the exceptions that are fixated at that stage into adulthood.

Aside from how absurdly broad your declaration of the second paragraph is, it is self-evidently fallacious; one would have to be living in a cave not to have seen thousands of cases of hot twentysomething girls who like guys the same age. And as for the relative desperation of young men or the challenge in catching one - do you honestly think a hot young woman typically finds it challenging to get an older man who wants her desperately?

No offense but that post was not even close to sensible.

So you think that all girls don't love their Father then,really?As you state it is a stage that girls pass through and then go on to have more appropriate relationships with other males that aren't their Fathers.Are their Fathers older or younger than the girls?Your statements are ridiculous and nonsensical!

As for you,you are maybe on the mature side or have a face for radio that cannot therefore attract younger females,without significant financial stimulus or coercion,I really don't know or care?What I can tell you is that I'm in my forties now and can certainly attract the sort of females that I couldn't when I was in my twenties.For me the term 'Life begins at forty' has proven to be the rule,maybe not so in your case?

I know I can go to fashionable places in Europe like Ibiza or Barcelona and still attract plenty of pretty young twentysomethings no problem.I have style,confidence and dance like a black man!

Maybe I should be bottling it and selling it to people like yourself who obviously struggle with any female not used to accepting money for the pleasure of a night of passion with some ageing monger in a wife-beater and thongs?You talk about generalisations but are another one generalising that everyone that comes to Thailand is as obviously unsuccessful with women as you are back in your home country!Now to me that really is the saddest generalisation of all,along with assuming that all people are sex tourists in Thailand like you most likely are!

Whatever are you on about? What's with all the strawman and ad hominem?

Actually, no not ALL girls love their father. But not only is that not the point, as you well know, I never said anything of the sort - YOU said all girls are IN LOVE WITH their father, and as you also know quite well, that has a very different meaning and that's what I disputed. What a pathetic dodge.

Are their fathers younger or older? Why ask such a stupid and irrelevant question Cracks about my age (50) or my looks (average)? For what? What has it got to do with what I posted? I obviously "struggle with any female not used to accepting money for the pleasure of a night of passion with some ageing monger in a wife-beater and thongs"? Tell me where you get that from my post.

"You talk about generalisations but are another one generalising that everyone that comes to Thailand is as obviously unsuccessful with women as you are back in your home country!"

Show me anything to back up that claim about a generalization or admit you are a blatant liar. Ad show me what it is that makes it obvious that I am unsuccessful with women in my home country.

"Now to me that really is the saddest generalisation of all,along with assuming that all people are sex tourists in Thailand like you most likely are!"

I am most likely a sex tourist? Show me what information you have that merits that assumption.

What a pathetic embarrassment of a post you've made. Honestly one of the worst I've seen for complete lack of merit and total fabrication.

One more gratuitous and ill-informed comment about my wife and you get a report. Keep your comments to me please.

What gratuitous and ill-informed comment?

From what I've read, gramps, NO ONE has insulted your wife! All my comments have been aimed squarely at you and no one else.

Frankly, I take far, far less issue with any age gap that may exist between you and and your wife than I do with the fact that, ultimately, whichever way you persist in dressing it up, you are engaged in a policy of buying/retaining her interest with your money. Whether or not you actually need to is largely beside the point. The fact is you evidently feel like you need to and therein lies your folly.

You suggest that you haven't spent more money or lavished any more gifts than any "responsible" husband would on his wife but I put it to you that most husbands - including those with the means - don't go out buying second homes in the wife's name and second cars . . . unless, of course, they're afraid of losing her.

As I said before, don't post information on the forum if you can't take the criticism and then hide behind imagined insults about your wife when you can't back up your pathetic argument.

You've spent the lion's share of this thread posting patronising and condescending comments about younger men being "boys", "financially insolvent" and "pricks" when you know sweet FA about anyone else's financail standing so perhaps it is you who are envious of those of us who don't need to go to your lengths in order to be happy with a woman, young or mature, Thai or otherwise.

And th

I don't think he 'needs' to to anything to keep his wife. It's just that he wants to buy those things for her.

When women in the west are the home carer and the husband buys things are their wives then being bought?

Thank you!

I do what I can for the comfort and enjoyment of us both. It's what I have chosen to do with my remaining years and what a husband should do. My wife has asked for very little. The house was my wish prior to retirement. Naturally, it's is registered in her name but she offered to sign an usufruct contract with me. The second car was for my convenience. I wanted her to be the owner. She didn't ask. She asks for no allowance. She has done a great deal for me too. I was introduced to my wife by friends.

I'm happy with all of that.

• Like 2

I don't think he 'needs' to to anything to keep his wife. It's just that he wants to buy those things for her.

When women in the west are the home carer and the husband buys things are their wives then being bought?

No but that's not the situation here, is it?

From what Morden's said, she ain't a housewife. She's got her own house and car and puts her kid through university so she's got her own dosh.

Thank you for that too.

On the other hand, if she closed her business I would happily support her.

• Like 1

You guys don't know how good you have it. If a woman is feeling a bit

randy and wants some action she is considered to be a slut if she

approaches a man. Don't even ask me what people will say if she

approaches a man much younger than herself. There certainly are double

standards. You've all heard the derogatory comment "cougar" when

referring to women my age. They don't have a similar category for men on

the prowl.

@rene: If you walk from Oasis a go-go on soi buakaow, up towards 3rd rd on the soi just next and to left of Oasis,

walk 60 meters and look for a door on the left side that leads to a karaoke bar.

This karaoke caters to woman, and you will find 10-15 young men serving there, that are available for a price.

ed, Go no earlier than 2 am tho, and preferably after 3 am

Edited by poanoi

Live and make plans at the same time. Lennon didn't make it to retirement!

Don't think any plans he made or could have made would have changed that (other than to wear a bullet proof vest). And his heirs were left with adequate means, I think.

Lucky escape, 'imagine' Yoko Ono when she was old.

Paul with Heather didn't do much better than us either (she cost him $20M)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

You guys don't know how good you have it. If a woman is feeling a bit randy and wants some action she is considered to be a slut if she approaches a man. Don't even ask me what people will say if she approaches a man much younger than herself. There certainly are double standards. You've all heard the derogatory comment "cougar" when referring to women my age. They don't have a similar category for men on the prowl.

I've seen you, you're not that old!

Yes you're right about the pension not relevant, I've always drawn much younger women, even before Thailand, I guess some of us just have that ability, so when I met my Thai wife, nothing really changed....for some maybe maybe a young wife is a new experience.....for me it wasn't.......sorry to inform you young guys....:) ......it isn't all about money.....you've got to have 'it'

This is soo true, even in farangland some men find it very easy to get off with the best looking girls, while others can only get off with the drags(not saying looks are everything) in many cases it does't even relate to the man having good looks. Some men simple find it very easy to attract members of the opposite sex. Maybe this is what Hardensoul resent

:cheesy: Oh Lord, I guess I can afford to skip tomorrow's abdominal workout after reading that. I mean just what, exactly, is enviable about an old boy relying on coin in order to hook up with a younger woman who, in Morden's own words is NOT

"a saggy arsed specimen around [his] own age". He's effectively saying that without his coin, he'd wouldn't even have a snowball in hell's chance of securing that woman. What, pray tell, is to be resented about that??

Read it again,what he's saying,and I agree with, is that in some cases the man does not have to rely on money to attract the girls.

You guys don't know how good you have it. If a woman is feeling a bit randy and wants some action she is considered to be a slut if she approaches a man. Don't even ask me what people will say if she approaches a man much younger than herself. There certainly are double standards. You've all heard the derogatory comment "cougar" when referring to women my age. They don't have a similar category for men on the prowl.

The Thais call them "hua ngoo" or "Snake Heads" in English. Actually when I was 16 I had an experience with a woman that was in her late 20's. She taught me things that I never knew before and it was one experience that I still treasure to this day. Like Bob Seger said in the song "Night Moves", "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then". If she was a "cougar" I certainly don't remember it in a derogatory sense. It only lasted a short period of time but WOW!

There seems to be a bit of a Flame-War going on here. Maybe cooler heads would prevail.

Edited by TimTang
  • Like 1

All this has nothing to do with age difference. Relationships are more about degrees of mutual respect, caring, companionship, sex, trust, understanding - I hesitate to include "love" because it has so many meanings to different people, and particularly between cultures.

I have seen a few (not many) successful relationships where the age difference has been 30+ years. I have seen many fail where there is little or no age gap.

It is more about the attitudes, desires, aspirations and understanding of two parties rather than just an age gap.

-

Excellent point and kudos for avoiding the nebulous L word.

One nit-pick is the idea that a relationship "fails" just because it ends. Nearly every relationship of any type has a natural arc from beginning to end, and some of the most rewarding ones I've had have been relatively short. Obviously not just talking about sexual/romantic.

But within that context the fairy-tale "ideal" of til-death-do-us-part is IMO one of the biggest roadblocks to happiness, a pretty unrealistic goal, and for many of us not even desirable - and that should be OK.

Agree 100%.

My post was verging on War & Peace without including the intricacies of a relationship or it's likely longevity.

Some things just run their natural course, run out of steam, become clapped-out, derailed or whatever. None of those reasons need blame, fault or failure attached to them.

After 7 years together with my partner is the attraction, the 'spark', still the same as it was when we first met ? No, of course not, and only a lucky few can genuinely claim that level of intensity of relationship still exists after such a time period. Dealing with 'normality', and even the mundane, in a relationship is as important as any other factor.

Do we still enjoy doing the same things together ? Do we still look forward to holidays? Do we plan together about the garden? Am I still getting the best sex of my life? Is she? - is it with me?smile.png - do we still fight like cat and dog ? The answer to all those things is "yes" and my partner remains the most important thing in my life - and my reason for being here.

However, one of the benefits of getting older is that you sometimes become wiser. Not necessarily in what you do on a day to day basis, but in the HOW you deal with things. After a few 'life experiences' you realise that there are no guarantees in life (in Thailand guarantees are worthless) and even a Mercedes Benz is knackered after 400,000 miles and needs changing.

I hope that my relationship continues for the rest of my life. However, if it doesn't I will move on - whether I am 57, 67 or........ whatever.

Retaining the ability to move on (financially and mentally) perhaps requires a degree wisdom that is not always acquired until later in life.

Edited by cardholder
  • Like 2

Old men with young women aresad and strange, but all the women I know in this situation have a boyfriend nearer their own age and both benefit from the old mans money.

Sad really, but it is to be expected.

I find it especially sad when the old chaps dye their hair and wear a younger mans clothes thinking it will roll back the years, it looks stupid.

I don't agree with everything that has been said on either side of the conversation. I am neither old nor young but this one statement I agree with so much "I find it especially sad when the old chaps dye their hair and wear a younger mans clothes thinking it will roll back the years, it looks stupid."

I don't see why this would bother anybody as long as the guy is happy

Just so I don't fall into the trap....could you explain what is regarded as young mans clothes?

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/large_lightbox/hash/7b/57/7b57c2a49667be1cb7b2c3f4b11c2653.jpg?itok=GpTGe5rp

http://blog.samueljing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Reiss-Spring-Summer-2012-4.jpg

http://i.nordstromimage.com/images/default/shop/image/shops/mens-rail/2013/0513/complete-looks_image.jpg

http://cdn.freaksoffastfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/almost.jpg

http://thesmokingnun.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/saturday.jpg

Old men with young women aresad and strange, but all the women I know in this situation have a boyfriend nearer their own age and both benefit from the old mans money.

Sad really, but it is to be expected.

I find it especially sad when the old chaps dye their hair and wear a younger mans clothes thinking it will roll back the years, it looks stupid.

I don't agree with everything that has been said on either side of the conversation. I am neither old nor young but this one statement I agree with so much "I find it especially sad when the old chaps dye their hair and wear a younger mans clothes thinking it will roll back the years, it looks stupid."

I take it you're not a big fan of the Stones then! smile.png

Cant\'t stand watching them but the music is ok

Agree 100%.

My post was verging on War & Peace without including the intricacies of a relationship or it's likely longevity.

Some things just run their natural course, run out of steam, become clapped-out, derailed or whatever. None of those reasons need blame, fault or failure attached to them.

After 7 years together with my partner is the attraction, the 'spark', still the same as it was when we first met ? No, of course not, and only a lucky few can genuinely claim that level of intensity of relationship still exists after such a time period. Dealing with 'normality', and even the mundane, in a relationship is as important as any other factor.

Do we still enjoy doing the same things together ? Do we still look forward to holidays? Do we plan together about the garden? Am I still getting the best sex of my life? Is she? - is it with me?smile.png - do we still fight like cat and dog ? The answer to all those things is "yes" and my partner remains the most important thing in my life - and my reason for being here.

However, one of the benefits of getting older is that you sometimes become wiser. Not necessarily in what you do on a day to day basis, but in the HOW you deal with things. After a few 'life experiences' you realise that there are no guarantees in life (in Thailand guarantees are worthless) and even a Mercedes Benz is knackered after 400,000 miles and needs changing.

I hope that my relationship continues for the rest of my life. However, if it doesn't I will move on - whether I am 57, 67 or........ whatever.

Retaining the ability to move on (financially and mentally) perhaps requires a degree wisdom that is not always acquired until later in life.

-

Excellent, a rare quality of dialog here!

Now just thinking out loud, my ideas aren't too developed here but on to a question of sexual ethics. There are many different flavors of feminism, few of which I have any truck with.

But seeing as how women depend mostly on their youth and beauty which inevitably fades, in some cases very quickly, while men can rely on money, which is relatively easily replenished.

And I don't know if it's a fact or not, but it seems that men have a greater need for variety in their sexual habits.

Therefore a culture that allows for multiple partners, serial or concurrent seems to inherently disadvantage women, as selfish men will simply use and discard them, and they end up on the rubbish heap when they're older.

Tough titties I suppose, women do now have much greater opportunities to educate themselves and set out on a profitable working career outside of sex work.

But in that perspective it does seem fair enough for the young hotties to try to squeeze every satang they can out of us dirty old men by hook or crook. And as I've said before IMO they earn every one they get.

As I said just thinking out loud here, I certainly wasn't raised to believe the world was meant to be fair, but I thought a topic worthy of discussion relevant enough to Thailand and the OP.

from Post #50

Old men with young women are sad and strange, but all the women I know in this situation have a boyfriend nearer their own age ...
OR girlfriend.
Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

When you talk of Age Differences, so far you the OP have not mentioned much about sexual history.

Maybe this is an important factor.

-

Yes, more specifically the resulting sexual skillset. I know when I was young I didn't have much technique and very little staying power. My partners at that stage were 10-15 years older than me, so they were able to teach/train me to make women happy at least in that way.

Many young hotties will put up with age/lack of attractiveness, lack of attention, and a lot of other kinds of BS (what some would term "abuse") if they get a regular dose of the 'big O'. If you give them that as well as sincere care and attention some will even stick around knowing they could do much better financially or aesthetically elsewhere.

Agree 100%.

-

Excellent, a rare quality of dialog here!

Now just thinking out loud, my ideas aren't too developed here but on to a question of sexual ethics. There are many different flavors of feminism, few of which I have any truck with.

But seeing as how women depend mostly on their youth and beauty which inevitably fades, in some cases very quickly, while men can rely on money, which is relatively easily replenished.

And I don't know if it's a fact or not, but it seems that men have a greater need for variety in their sexual habits.

Therefore a culture that allows for multiple partners, serial or concurrent seems to inherently disadvantage women, as selfish men will simply use and discard them, and they end up on the rubbish heap when they're older.

Tough titties I suppose, women do now have much greater opportunities to educate themselves and set out on a profitable working career outside of sex work.

But in that perspective it does seem fair enough for the young hotties to try to squeeze every satang they can out of us dirty old men by hook or crook. And as I've said before IMO they earn every one they get.

As I said just thinking out loud here, I certainly wasn't raised to believe the world was meant to be fair, but I thought a topic worthy of discussion relevant enough to Thailand and the OP.

Remember that the 25 year old with a farang partner thirty or forty years her senior would be just the same if she had one three or four tears her senior. Leaving financial differences to one side, if she's smart, she will know that the younger one is more likely to stray and even disappear back home when the teaching job goes.

from Banzai99 Post # (not sure)

but all the women I know in this situation have a boyfriend nearer their own age ...
OR girlfriend.

Who cares I known many same age couples when husbands leaves for work they have BF's and Gf's Who cares So What.

What does this do for me sorry to post such junk

All this has nothing to do with age difference. Relationships are more about degrees of mutual respect, caring, companionship, sex, trust, understanding - I hesitate to include "love" because it has so many meanings to different people, and particularly between cultures.

I have seen a few (not many) successful relationships where the age difference has been 30+ years. I have seen many fail where there is little or no age gap.

It is more about the attitudes, desires, aspirations and understanding of two parties rather than just an age gap.

-

Excellent point and kudos for avoiding the nebulous L word.

One nit-pick is the idea that a relationship "fails" just because it ends. Nearly every relationship of any type has a natural arc from beginning to end, and some of the most rewarding ones I've had have been relatively short. Obviously not just talking about sexual/romantic.

But within that context the fairy-tale "ideal" of til-death-do-us-part is IMO one of the biggest roadblocks to happiness, a pretty unrealistic goal, and for many of us not even desirable - and that should be OK.

Agree 100%.

Do we still enjoy doing the same things together ? Do we still look forward to holidays? Do we plan together about the garden? Am I still getting the best sex of my life? Is she? - is it with me?Posted Image - do we still fight like cat and dog ? The answer to all those things is "yes" and my partner remains the most important thing in my life - and my reason for being here.

With the single change of a digit - "7" to "20" - that post applies to me and my thinking virtually 100% - but said so much better than I could have.

I applaud both the form and the substance of that one. Excellent stuff.

• Like 1

Perhaps every relationship must be viewed on a case by case basis, when we see each other out and about we know absolutely nothing about the people we are looking at.

I would rather be with my wife when she is 85 then with another woman who is 25, but that's me.

If another would prefer something different, that's their call.

I'm 37, my wife is 33, If she blew up tomorrow and suddenly looked like some wilder beast or something, It would not change a thing, she is very very beautiful and that attracted me at first, but now it's just a bonus and by far the least important of her many wonderful qualities that are a little hard to find, hard but not impossible.

I believe there are others here with woman they feel the same about, some are probably good girls to, I hope they are.

regardless of the relationship situation I hope everyone finds what they are looking for.

That's the cool thing about Thailand I guess, there is something for everyone.

What if tomorrow she hates you, hates you with every part of her mind and body, will do anything she can to harm you.

Happens often, let's hope it doesn't happen to you but 25% chance it will.

What if tomorrow she announces she is too old for sex, and will never let you touch her again.

Happens often, let's hope it doesn't happen to you but 40% chance it will.

What if tomorrow she hates you, hates you with every part of her mind and body, will do anything she can to harm you.

What if tomorrow she announces she is too old for sex, and will never let you touch her again.

-

What if what if. He's just saying he's not with his wife for looks, plans to stick it out with her even as she loses her looks, doesn't plan to set her aside and move on to a younger girl.

In the latter case she may be quite willing to let him go outside to play as long as he promises to not let anything get serious, very common here.

And love those statistics!

• Like 1

-

What if what if. He's just saying he's not with his wife for looks, plans to stick it out with her even as she loses her looks, doesn't plan to set her aside and move on to a younger girl.

In the latter case she may be quite willing to let him go outside to play as long as he promises to not let anything get serious, very common here.

Unless you have had a relationship with a woman over 45, approaching her early 50s, you can't possibly imagine the nightmare it can become.

And remember it is not your choices that will count for anything, it's all about her, and absolutely nothing you can do to change the situation.

You youngsters just can't understand ......... love forever, blah, blah, what a crock!

Here are some of the first impressions and judgments made by strangers regarding farangs on first sight.

Old farang walking with much younger Thai lady = He must be paying for it

Farang with Thai woman of similar age = I wonder which bar he met her at?

Farang in the company of younger Thai male = He must be Gay

Old farang seen out with young Thai child = He’s a paedophile

Farang under 50 years old who does not look like a tourist or with his Thai family = He must be into some shady business in order to stay here

An over 50 year old farang out alone = I wonder when he will be returning home?

A can’t win scenario - Sad but true

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Here are some of the first impressions and judgments made by strangers regarding farangs on first sight.

Old farang walking with much younger Thai lady = He must be paying for it

Farang with Thai woman of similar age = I wonder which bar he met her at?

Farang in the company of younger Thai male = He must be Gay

Old farang seen out with young Thai child = He’s a paedophile

Farang under 50 years old who does not look like a tourist or with his Thai family = He must be into some shady business in order to stay here

An over 50 year old farang out alone = I wonder when he will be returning home?

A can’t win scenario - Sad but true

Especially with the racist comment on each line.

You aren't Thai, so you have no excuse for being a racist.

-

I love sex and will always try to keep it interesting, but if there are times we struggle I will not touch another woman, If she hates me that's a different story but so far we have had 2 minor fights in the years we have been together.

I'm not straying even with permission, disrespecting my wife and children is not high on my list.