http://www.thai2english.com/search.aspx?q=ท้องฟ้าสีครามทุกวัน
http://www.thai2english.com/search.aspx?q=กับฝนนิดหน่อย
http://www.thai2english.com/search.aspx?q=ทำให้ทุกสิ่งเขียว
http://www.thai2english.com/search.aspx?q=แล้วก็ไม่ร้อนมากเท่าไร
http://www.thai2english.com/search.aspx?q=อากาศบริสุทธิ์
http://www.thai2english.com/search.aspx?q=ทะเลสีคราม
http://www.thai2english.com/search.aspx?q=แล้วก็นักท่องเที่ยวไม่มากเกินไป

try read it first before scrolling down for translation

I really like Phuket this time of year (season).

The sky is blue every day with a little bit of rain which makes everything green and not too hot

The air is clean, the sea is blue and not too many tourists

แขก = guest, foreigner, visitor OR person of south/south western Asian descent (Indian, Persian, Arab etc.)

For instance, my friend who works in a hotel/resort running Thai cooking classes, will often say to me on the phone (while she's waiting for the guests to arrive for her class) แขกยังไม่มา indicating that she has a few minutes to chat.

Either that, or she's saying that the Indians haven't turned up yet! laugh.png

Doesn't matter if kairk has many meanings, in this saying they are talking about people from India. Thais generally look down on them.

I think the fact that the expression is there, is because Indian people traditionally came and come to Thailand to do business. Even today, many Indian sell to the sellers on the Thai markets.

In general it's much harder to negotiate about the price with Indian people, so Thai people often have the feeling they pay to much for the products they buy or that they had to sell too cheap. They often feel like they were cheated. Another thing is that Thai people don't like to loose time talking when at the end nothing will be sold or bought. Indians seem to have less problems with this.

I talk about Indian people, but it can be just as well people from Pakistan, Bangladesh or the middle east.

Even today, many Thai people, especially when they are sellers (on the market or in a small shop) still look down on แขก.

Skin color might be another thing. Many Indians have a darker skin than Thai, which puts them at a lower place on the social ladder.

• Like 2

I liked this phrase a friend sent me the other day, you can translate it directly into English and use nearly every day!

อากาศร้อนแบบไม่ปราณีใคร the merciless heat\sun

I liked this phrase a friend sent me the other day, you can translate it directly into English and use nearly every day!

Are you sure that's what it says?

I translate it as "this type of hot weather is not kind to anyone"

Agart ron = hot weather

bairp = this type/style

Mai bpra-nee = not kind (I would have thought spelt like this ปรานี)

krai = anyone

One of the problems in a thread like this, is very few foreigners have a good grasp of Thai language, and most Thais don't have a good grasp of the English language, finding someone who is educated enough in both English and Thai, to explain a translation is almost impossible.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Agart ron = hot weather

bairp = this type/style

krai = anyone

One of the problems in a thread like this, is very few foreigners have a good grasp of Thai language, and most Thais don't have a good grasp of the English language, finding someone who is educated enough in both English and Thai, to explain a translation is almost impossible.

ปราณี is correct.

Agart ron = hot weather

bairp = this type/style

krai = anyone

Agart ron = hot weather

bairp = this type/style

krai = anyone

You're making the error of translating word for word. I like the phrase because of the word ปราณี merciful or compassionate ( actually a common name for Thai ladies as well) and it reminded me of the phrase in English 'the merciless sun\heat ', the sense of the sun or heat being almost impossible to bear as a human.

• Like 2

There is no indication of 'sun' in the phrase.

"hot weather' is in the phrase.

'merciless' is not the same as 'not kind'

As I said previously, the phrase has been translated incorrectly to you by a Thai with only a intermediate or basic grasp of English.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Agart ron = hot weather

bairp = this type/style

krai = anyone

ปราณี is correct.

Correction! ปรานี is correct. ;)

• Like 1

There is no indication of 'sun' in the phrase.

"hot weather' is in the phrase.

'merciless' is not the same as 'not kind'

As I said previously, the phrase has been translated incorrectly to you by a Thai with only a intermediate or basic grasp of English.

This is the sentence from my Thai friend- กลับมาจากวังน้ำเขียวเมื่อวันจันทร์ อากาศร้อนแบบไม่ปราณีใคร I translate this as 'I came back from Wang Nam Kheow on Monday, the weather was unbearably hot\ the sun was merciless\ the heat was oppressive.

Perhaps she spelled ปราณี wrong, assuming she meant ปรานี , please offer a more authentic translation.

• Like 1

I also prefer the term 'merciless' seeing as ปรานี can be nice, kind, compassionate, or merciful ไม่ปรานี when referring to weather, could quite easily be translated as merciless.

Whilst 'merciless' and 'not kind' aren't the same in English, we wouldn't usually refer to hot weather as being 'unkind' so I think the translation captures the sentiment quite well. Very few things translate word for word, it's the meaning we're after.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here's another one. Not really sentence, but again an interesting expression:

หมาหยอกไก่

Up to you to find the translation (it was not said about me).

Literally translating into "dog teases chicken", it is generally used to describe a man who teases a girl in jest but with a truthful barb. A vacillating flirt.

But there's more to it than that . . . sometimes the idiom can take on a frustrated / rueful / forlorn tinge, for example when used to describe a teacher who fancies his student but can't quite bring himself to go further than passive-aggressive teasing.

Still more . . . it is also applicable for situations where the 'dog' is just joshing with the 'chicken' whilst thinking "soon as you let your guard down I'm having you".

There's a song about it :

• Like 1

If you would like to let a cab driver get an idea why he is not getting a tip. You could use a sentence like this.

ผมไม่เคยเห็นใครขับรถโดยห่วยแตกขนาดนี่เลย

I’m not all that sure about the โดย in the middle, can’t quite make out that syllable.

Here is the audio for anyone who like to practice by mimicking.

bad driver.mp3

Edited by klons