New House Built Very Close To Boundary

The developer of my brother in law's moo baan has started building a house 50cm from the boundary wall between the plots (image attached).

Obviously his wife is fuming. Does this break any regulations? Moo baan is privately operated.

post-78027-13689475253392_thumb.jpg

Sent from my U7011 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was under the impression that you could build to 50cm of a boundary if the wall contains no windows. If the wall has windows then you cannot go closer than 2m.

Have always been quoted this but never seen a source so may be well wrong.

Have any permissions to build been obtained by the plot owner?

• Like 1

I was under the impression that you could build to 50cm of a boundary if the wall contains no windows. If the wall has windows then you cannot go closer than 2m.

This is also my understanding. except i think it no outward opening windows. solid windows or sliders are ok.

Op if you think its a problem pop down the local land office and check. And if you get an answer please report back.

Something in that link states 2m, but no source for the text.

I guess a chat with the developer then the land office is in order.

I was under the impression that you could build to  50cm of a boundary if the wall contains no windows. If the wall has windows then you cannot go closer than 2m.

This is also my understanding. except i think it no outward opening windows. solid windows or sliders are ok.

Op if you think its a problem pop down the local land office and check. And if you get an answer please report back.

I won't stick my nose in too much, not my business, but I'll try to persuade him.

no windows or any other opening and you can built without leaving any distance (according to Pattaya building department).

Get it stopped now, obvious the roof will overlap direct to you.

He may just get away with it if it's a gable end, but if it was my place I would be asking a lot of questions of the builder.

Regret I cannot answer your Q. I asked a similar Q a while ago -no body could answer that either.

I can only suggest that you erect a simple fence between the 2 properties. The height must inhibit his potential roof over hang

• Like 1

Yes, there is a rule with the roof overhang - as far as I recall that's included in the distance to the boundary.

So I guess you'll be having no overhang?!

Rules are one thing -implementation is another.

If this house is constructed illegally-Is it likely that any ruling will result in a significant change . The offending house may have to be demolished . I cannot see that happening in Thailand.

Perhaps others have evidence which contradicts my view.

He may just get away with it if it's a gable end, but if it was my place I would be asking a lot of questions of the builder.

If it was my place I'd be pissing in his cement! smile.png

That is quite ridiculous to build so close and as anti social as it gets even for Thailand.

If it was my place I'd be pissing in his cement! smile.png

That is quite ridiculous to build so close and as anti social as it gets even for Thailand.

Goes to show that Thais do not love their neighbour- inspite of what they claim

• Like 1

Basically I think there is not much you can do. If the roof overhang will discharge water to your property you can otherwise I think you have to accept it. Thais do not give a rats a..... about neighbours whether it is building close to you making noise or burning off. Live with it

I think that the distance you quote is less than the legal minimum, inadequate thought that is. Builders are usually, in my experience, quite careful about that. If your wife is hacked off then that probably indicates that I'm right.

I suggest that the first step to ensure that the wall is on or inside your boundary. Don't take it as a boundary marker until you're sure.

Our new neighbour built his house two metres from our wall, but infilled 4 feet up the other side of our previously 5 foot wall which was not built to retaining wall spec. His house now towers over our pool. Not a bloody thing you can do about it unless the pooyai baan is prepared to do something. Our pooyai baan seems to think that his (written) promise to rebuild the wall when it collapses is just fine.

I could of course pull the wall down and watch his garden wash into ours but that would be cutting off our noses to spite our faces.

Sometimes this unregulated paradise takes on a different hue!

• Like 1

If it was my place I'd be pissing in his cement! Posted Image

Not really, its his land why not. You can do as you like on your own land not stick your nose in to another's. If you want to avoid something like this then you should have bought a bigger plot and stuck the house in the middle of it.

Regards roof and boundary distance; most many moo bans you can see people have made extension, out side kitchens or whatever, right up to the boundary wall, even using the boundary wall as part of the design! This is a bit more than a little cheeky and I guess they must have had a chat about it first. But the rule is basically so long as you don't cross the boundary line or over hang it or deposit water from you roof over it then everything under three stories is fine.

Our new neighbour built his house two metres from our wall, but infilled 4 feet up the other side of our previously 5 foot wall which was not built to retaining wall spec. His house now towers over our pool. Not a bloody thing you can do about it unless the pooyai baan is prepared to do something. Our pooyai baan seems to think that his (written) promise to rebuild the wall when it collapses is just fine.

I could of course pull the wall down and watch his garden wash into ours but that would be cutting off our noses to spite our faces.

If it starts to lean then I would re-enforce it myself. Costs are minor so what's the point on getting all righteous about it. Makes better sense than risking his land sliding in to your pool just do you can say "I told you so" and "fix it all now please". Just get on with life how it presents itself and be happy you have a nice house and a pool to spend your days in the sun, or would you rather no boundary wall issue but be in wet freezing Northern Europe?

You can DEFINITELY put a stop to any roof overhanging your property. Also water spilling off the roof.

In the OP's case, the building looks like it has already progressed through very significant expense (foootings, saos, kahns and concrete floor). If your B-I-L is just now complaining, it's not really fair. If he wanted to do something about it, he should have done it when he saw them digging the footings. What? Now he wants them to tear it all out? Would B-I-L be willing to pay for all the labor, concrete and steel he sat there for two months watching them put in?

In our rural village, there are no permits. It seems you build whatever you want wherever you want -- as long as there is no actual encroachment into the neighbor's land or airspace -- at least this is the practice. Thus, for anybody building a new house, it is smart to build your own house far enough away from the boundary to get the space you want assuming the neighbor might build right at the line.

The neighbor of a friend of mine remodeled and extended their kitchen wall out to where it actually became part of the existing wall on my friend's property line! They had glass blocks in the wall to let natural light into the kitchen. Since the surface of the blocks was on my friend's side, we spray-painted them black. Nobody ever said a thing.

The worst case I've seen involved two women partners in Mae Sot that bought a two story house together. The kitchen was on the first floor in the rear, and the house was built right to the rear property line. The the sun splashed brightly into the kitchen every morning, which had a nice view across a vacant field. Some crotchety old man owned that field and for some reason took a dislike to the women. He built a tall block wall the entire width of the women's house about three inches from their tall kitchen windows, plunging the kitchen into perpetual darkness (and making it impossible to open the back door). The wall was high enough to also block the second story windows, though the blockage was less dramatic because those windows were set back behind a balcony, which now had a beautiful view of a blank block wall. The wall served absolutely no purpose other than to block the women's windows and the old man did it just because he could. Ahhh, the joys of LOS. Well certainly I wouldn't trade such risks for all the regulation and bureaucratic aggravation I left behind in the US!

And its best reported or checked on BEFORE construction goes to more than can be easily torn down... I had a similar situation and got some help from the municipality but not much. A window wall was removed because it was only 20cm from my wall(window removed and wall made at 50cm from mine) The worst problem is their roof was going to dump water on my side of the wall between properties! I asked that they make gutters that would deflect this water and drain it on THEIR side. I have to say that there was a lot of resistance to changing anything because they had hired an "architect". And of course, the owners went on a long vacation during this construction, making it even more difficult to do anything. The end result advice would be to get your complaint in early as they will likely push against the building codes. The place next to me was a very nice looking house - brand new - until these folks bought it and added on until nearly every inch of land is covered by buildings, add-ons and sheds. They are actually nice folks and I don't bother them and now they don't bother me.

If it starts to lean then I would re-enforce it myself. Costs are minor so what's the point on getting all righteous about it. Makes better sense than risking his land sliding in to your pool just do you can say "I told you so" and "fix it all now please". Just get on with life how it presents itself and be happy you have a nice house and a pool to spend your days in the sun, or would you rather no boundary wall issue but be in wet freezing Northern Europe?

I am doing that even before the wall leans

Where did I go all self-righteous? Jeez some people!

Before this thread descends into a farce, I want to thank those who have contributed. My B-I-L says he's going to the land office today, not sure whether he will but if I here anything back I'll let you know.

This is what I see in the pic. The roof line will overlap the property line. I would suggest stopping and possibly re-design that side of the house.

although the contractor should have realize the property line issue right off.

I actually had a neighbour USE our boundary wall as foundation for the end of his extension whilst I was gone for a few months.The roof was cut so as not to run off or overhang.Bottom line Nothing I could about it.

My one option was to go to court, after enquiring I was informed it would take at least 2 years then they would have the option to appeal. I gave up after hearing even if ruled in my favour after all that, getting it knocked down would be even more work.

Thailand at it's best.