Sunrise Tacos Stall On The Side That Is Dark

hotandhumid

Have any of you seen this? It's on the junction of soi siam/soi crocodile farm..........that would be the same junction where traffic lights were recently installed but now never work.

Don't know if this is a temporary thing or not. I'm not a huge taco fan but will no doubt get some soon, but thought I'd spread the word anyway as I know many on here like Mexican food...

H&H

Edited by Rimmer
General flame

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live just 1 km south of that intersection. I haven't noticed it yet (eyes on the traffic thing!); but I'll definitely look for it next time through. They don't have the best Mex in the Pattaya area; but there's no other decent option on this side that I know of.

Can you help me out with spotting it? Which corner is it on?

I live just 1 km south of that intersection. I haven't noticed it yet (eyes on the traffic thing!); but I'll definitely look for it next time through. They don't have the best Mex in the Pattaya area; but there's no other decent option on this side that I know of.

Can you help me out with spotting it? Which corner is it on?

If you are driving up soi siam towards the lake (I don't do North, South etc, fat too confusing) it is on the left before the lights..

Wow I must have forgotten all my geometry but I thought that two parallel lines or roads like SNCC and croc farm never intersect...should make finding this taco stand a very interesting experience.

Probably just saw their mobile resto truck parked there...I've heard there are some lying in facilities in the soi croc area.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

He is talking about Nongprue Road, which is also known as Soi Crocodile farm because it leads to that.attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

You nailed it.

But you didn't. It's listed on maps and known by locals as Nongprue road. Everyone I know refers to the road "parallel" to sscc to the north as soi crocodile farm and Nongprue road as "Nongprue road."

He is talking about Nongprue Road, which is also known as Soi Crocodile farm because it leads to that.attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

You nailed it.

But you didn't. It's listed on maps and known by locals as Nongprue road. Everyone I know refers to the road "parallel" to sscc to the north as soi crocodile farm and Nongprue road as "Nongprue road."
I have always heard Nongprue Road (shown in red) called Soi Crocodile farm, and if you look at the map it kinda seems logical. (The red circle on top is teh Croc farm.) I guess you're referring to Soi Chaiyaphon Withi (shown in blue) being north off and parallel to SSCC (shown in green).

post-1539-0-44991400-1369022195_thumb.pn

Very disappointed when I drove by and carefully checked for a Sunrise Taco shop. My bad. I thought you meant a permanent shop, rather than a mobile wagon. Too bad.

I wish we had a few more of the "International fast food" places over here; such as Sunrise, Subway, Pizza Company (not necessarily for their pizza, but many other items on their menu), Burger King (much better than McDonald's for a fast food burger), etc. I'm talking about the area well east of the tracks. I think there are enough falangs over here now to make it profitable for those companies. Same is true for a major supermarket, the lack of which I've been bemoaning here for years. (I hate travelling through motorbike hell to get up to and across Sukhumvit!)

Spotty restaurants / stands suck because you never know if they will be there or not. Maybe they are trying it out. I would go if I knew if they were there. Oh well.........Cheese-burgers again.

Ok, I gave it a test ride this evening. Had the burrito @ 190 Baht. It was huge but rather bland.

I'd rather prefer half the size with twice the taste at 2/3 of the price.

No way I will pay 80 Baht for French fries on a road side.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ok, I gave it a test ride this evening. Had the burrito @ 190 Baht. It was huge but rather bland.

Did you ask for any information on their schedule for being there?

Of course it's up to each individual how much they want to spend on a snack like this, personally I think my limit would be about 100-120 baht tops.

Size doesn't matter so much. I'd rather have a smaller burrito with meat and cheese than a large one stuffed with rice, but in any case I would pass at this price. I'd rather zap over to Patrice around the corner and get one if his excellent pizzas.

Very disappointed when I drove by and carefully checked for a Sunrise Taco shop. My bad. I thought you meant a permanent shop, rather than a mobile wagon. Too bad.

I wish we had a few more of the "International fast food" places over here; such as Sunrise, Subway, Pizza Company (not necessarily for their pizza, but many other items on their menu), Burger King (much better than McDonald's for a fast food burger), etc. I'm talking about the area well east of the tracks. I think there are enough falangs over here now to make it profitable for those companies. Same is true for a major supermarket, the lack of which I've been bemoaning here for years. (I hate travelling through motorbike hell to get up to and across Sukhumvit!)

I think all of the fast food places you mention do delivery...even to way out on the Darkside. Even Au Bon Pain delivers out to the area. However, the biggest problem is giving them directions to find you place so best to hand off the phone to the nearest Thai for that.

Of course it's up to each individual how much they want to spend on a snack like this, personally I think my limit would be about 100-120 baht tops.

Size doesn't matter so much. I'd rather have a smaller burrito with meat and cheese than a large one stuffed with rice, but in any case I would pass at this price. I'd rather zap over to Patrice around the corner and get one if his excellent pizzas.

Hi Phil, where is patrice? I've heard that 'fabrice' or something similar does good pizzas....the pub type place on the bend near aqua bar.

Hi Phil, where is patrice? I've heard that 'fabrice' or something similar does good pizzas....the pub type place on the bend near aqua bar.

That's the one, has all the same attractions as the aqua place.....including pizza

That's the one, has all the same attractions as the aqua place.....including pizza

upnotover is phil conners?

Gil here from sunrise. We are here in the mobile location EVERY Day, rain or shine. 530 pm onwards until 10pm. We have about 15 dishes, including some nice salads. We also deliver from here much faster. We are right at the 7-11 and tesco lotus intersection on Soi Siam country club.

Gil here from sunrise. We are here in the mobile location EVERY Day, rain or shine. 530 pm onwards until 10pm. We have about 15 dishes, including some nice salads. We also deliver from here much faster. We are right at the 7-11 and tesco lotus intersection on Soi Siam country club.

Sounds good...a mini-Mexi food place on the Darkside...life gets better and better!

I finally got around to stopping at the Sunrise mobile restaurant last night. I spent some time talking with the owner, Gil, while I waited for my food. Nice guy, who happens to be from Rhode Island, of all places. I forgot to ask how he got into making Mexican food, since Rhode Island is a bit of a walk to the US-Mexico border. ;-) In any case, IMO, he's pretty darn good at it.

By way of my "credentials", I'm American, born and raised in Boston, but spent most of the years from 1971 - 2006 in Southern California. So I've enjoyed a lot of very good Mexican food.

Raro described the beef burrito had as "bland". I discussed that with Gil, who pointed out that sauces are available to add whatever amount of spice and "heat" you prefer; as customers can always ADD spice, but it can't be removed once it's in there. I totally agree with that philosophy, just as I do with salt in restaurant food. If I want it, I'll add it. I hate being served salty food. Same could go for spices for many folks.

As for me, I ordered last night's dinner (a chicken quesadilla @ B180), and today's lunch (a chicken wrap @ B170), both as take away. Gil expressed concern about my keeping the wrap overnight, since he thought the sauce might soak through the tortilla. I assured him that I've done this before, and a wrap, kept in the refrigerator, stays intact well enough to heat up and enjoy the next day. It did.

The chicken in both items is nicely seasoned - not "hot", just flavorful. The quesadilla came with a mildly spicy sauce, and sour cream, in cups. I did, in fact, add some hot sauce when I opened the quesadilla, as I do prefer fairly spicy Mexican food. It was 4 large triangular pieces, fully packed with BOTH chicken and veggies. It was light on the cheese, which I like plenty of in a quesadilla. However, considering the price of good cheese here, they'd probably have to raise the price to give me more of that. IMO, it would be hard to beat anywhere in this country.

I had the chicken wrap for lunch today. It comes with a generous portion of very good tortilla chips. Like the quesadilla, it was packed with the seasoned chicken and veggies. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Both of these items were both a full meal for anybody who isn't an "all you can eat buffet" overeater. I weigh 190#, so don't pass up many items on my plate. :-)

Is it as good as Southern California Mex food? Not quite. But we are where we are, folks. It's near the top for Mex food in Thailand. Keeping it totally honest, I like the food at Mike's Mexican (Soi 5, Thappraya Rd, Jomtien) a little better. But I don't like to drive over there from the east end of Nernplubwarn, where I live, just for a quick meal.

I jokingly mentioned to Gil that the only thing missing from the truck was those very good Sunrise Margaritas. He said that he actually could sell them from the truck, but that most of his orders were take aways, and he didn't think it would be worth it. I suggested that he consider bottling take away Margaritas, as Mike does at his place; and Gil said he'll consider that.

I also told him that I really would love to see him open a sit-down branch of his restaurant over here - with all of his variety of sauces, AND his Margaritas, readily available. Again, he said it's something he'll consider, if the mobile business continues to go well. So far, he's averaging about 60 orders a night. Pretty good. I think he'll do much more than that, considering his quality, AND the absolute dearth of competition for good Mex food on this side of Sukhumvit.

In summary, I give my strong recommendation to any of you living over here who get an occasional craving for good Mexican food, without the hassle of travelling to either MIke's, Sunrise, or (traffic gods forbid!) Tequila Reef for it. I, for one, will continue to drop by Gil's mobile "Sunrise" for a Mex food fix every week or so.

I finally got around to stopping at the Sunrise mobile restaurant last night. I spent some time talking with the owner, Gil, while I waited for my food. Nice guy, who happens to be from Rhode Island, of all places. I forgot to ask how he got into making Mexican food, since Rhode Island is a bit of a walk to the US-Mexico border. ;-) In any case, IMO, he's pretty darn good at it.

By way of my "credentials", I'm American, born and raised in Boston, but spent most of the years from 1971 - 2006 in Southern California. So I've enjoyed a lot of very good Mexican food.

Raro described the beef burrito had as "bland". I discussed that with Gil, who pointed out that sauces are available to add whatever amount of spice and "heat" you prefer; as customers can always ADD spice, but it can't be removed once it's in there. I totally agree with that philosophy, just as I do with salt in restaurant food. If I want it, I'll add it. I hate being served salty food. Same could go for spices for many folks.

As for me, I ordered last night's dinner (a chicken quesadilla @ B180), and today's lunch (a chicken wrap @ B170), both as take away. Gil expressed concern about my keeping the wrap overnight, since he thought the sauce might soak through the tortilla. I assured him that I've done this before, and a wrap, kept in the refrigerator, stays intact well enough to heat up and enjoy the next day. It did.

The chicken in both items is nicely seasoned - not "hot", just flavorful. The quesadilla came with a mildly spicy sauce, and sour cream, in cups. I did, in fact, add some hot sauce when I opened the quesadilla, as I do prefer fairly spicy Mexican food. It was 4 large triangular pieces, fully packed with BOTH chicken and veggies. It was light on the cheese, which I like plenty of in a quesadilla. However, considering the price of good cheese here, they'd probably have to raise the price to give me more of that. IMO, it would be hard to beat anywhere in this country.

I had the chicken wrap for lunch today. It comes with a generous portion of very good tortilla chips. Like the quesadilla, it was packed with the seasoned chicken and veggies. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Both of these items were both a full meal for anybody who isn't an "all you can eat buffet" overeater. I weigh 190#, so don't pass up many items on my plate. :-)

Is it as good as Southern California Mex food? Not quite. But we are where we are, folks. It's near the top for Mex food in Thailand. Keeping it totally honest, I like the food at Mike's Mexican (Soi 5, Thappraya Rd, Jomtien) a little better. But I don't like to drive over there from the east end of Nernplubwarn, where I live, just for a quick meal.

I jokingly mentioned to Gil that the only thing missing from the truck was those very good Sunrise Margaritas. He said that he actually could sell them from the truck, but that most of his orders were take aways, and he didn't think it would be worth it. I suggested that he consider bottling take away Margaritas, as Mike does at his place; and Gil said he'll consider that.

I also told him that I really would love to see him open a sit-down branch of his restaurant over here - with all of his variety of sauces, AND his Margaritas, readily available. Again, he said it's something he'll consider, if the mobile business continues to go well. So far, he's averaging about 60 orders a night. Pretty good. I think he'll do much more than that, considering his quality, AND the absolute dearth of competition for good Mex food on this side of Sukhumvit.

In summary, I give my strong recommendation to any of you living over here who get an occasional craving for good Mexican food, without the hassle of travelling to either MIke's, Sunrise, or (traffic gods forbid!) Tequila Reef for it. I, for one, will continue to drop by Gil's mobile "Sunrise" for a Mex food fix every week or so.

Nice review, cant disagree about it. This is quite good Mexican food which is available in Pattaya. Beats the hell out of the place in soi 7 and i never been at Mike's Mexican food yet but the fact that this food truck is at the Darkside its more then conventient to just drive by and order a take-away.

They don't have the best Mex in the Pattaya area; but there's no other decent option on this side that I know of.

. It's near the top for Mex food in Thailand.

Quite a drastic change in opinion, isn't it ? Got a discount ?

Anyway this is where I considered your review not credible anymore.

Gil expressed concern about my keeping the wrap overnight, since he thought the sauce might soak through the tortilla. I assured him that I've done this before, and a wrap, kept in the refrigerator, stays intact well enough to heat up and enjoy the next day.