Have The Long Time Poster Become Snobs

You definitely have a point. People post their thoughts and experiences obviously looking for feedback. After all, most of us don't learn all the lessons of life from personal experience; we hear about others and take note. I've seen some of the presumably 'Old Timers' really slag-off and belittle people and I can only think for their own amusement. These type of people give the impression that they never got caught out before or have never lost their rag in any situation. Even if people seem to have been caught out by a native girl scam or lost their rag for example; surely they can get constructive feedback or criticism in a helpful way eg it was probably a better idea not to lose it and perhaps calm down a bit, it's the way of things here.

MM you may be correct. Over time, some of us have probably become a little bit jaded and cynical.

However, when a 'newbie' sets off 5 threads - all of which have been done to death before, it is difficult not to feel that the newbie is a troll (or just too lazy to do their own research).

Then when the newbie starts to become a tad rude, well you are probably a bit polite in asking if we are snobs. There are other adjectives that may apply.

A case of 6 to 1 and half a dozen to the other?

I (and others) usually try and give genuine advice and experience. But..... as the clock ticks on and the amber nectar flows, then the sarcasm creeps in (maybe).

That's MHO for what it is worth thumbsup.gif

I promise to try harder sad.png and drink less (maybe) wai.gif and be more courteous to new posters (for sure). smile.png

Thanks for the positive feed back and to be honest this situation is not limited to Samui, when I was looking at CM as a possible relocation spot I posted on their forum and felt the cold chill of closed doors the BKK forum has been the most open forum thus far for me as I ask many silly questions from time to time but always get a helpful reply.

It's an inherent part of the life cycle of online forums. Couldn't find the link but there's an article about it somewhere on the interwebs... There's a certain dynamic to online forums and old-timers bashing newcomers fits into it, in certain parts of it. Over the years, I've seen it in action on half a dozen forums ranging from photography to computers to diet to gardening...

It's an inherent part of the life cycle of online forums. Couldn't find the link but there's an article about it somewhere on the interwebs... There's a certain dynamic to online forums and old-timers bashing newcomers fits into it, in certain parts of it. Over the years, I've seen it in action on half a dozen forums ranging from photography to computers to diet to gardening...

I suspect that it is a version of the old group dynamics theory -

Forming

Storming

Norming

Peforming

I always seem to be in 'storming' phase blink.png

If anyone is really interested saai.gif it's explained here http://www.businessballs.com/tuckmanformingstormingnormingperforming.htm

It's not that Tropevo.

It's simply that the regular posters here are not teenage kids. Totally asinine postings like of what there have been a spate recently (what's UR fave food? What's UR best movie? Where can I get French fries woven into my hair*?) are more-usually found in Yahoo Questions together with a surplus of the words 'bad ass and 'awesome'. There you'll find 2 million American teenagers posting DUH questions just to attract attention to themselves and another 2 million reply beginning "well I dunno but . . .", also just to attract attention to themselves also.

Even Big C makes more reason than this erm . . . new person. (Well, mostly . . .)

Dopey teenage bombing of Samui TV with dumb attention-seeking posts is not likely to find favour - witness the Rooo man modding his posts with lock-outs.

It's been said already - if you want answers then just spend an hour in the archives and the pinned posts. That's what they're for. But this kid doesn't want answers, he wants attention - and he seems to have achieved this aim.

I rest my can't-suffer-fools case gladly.

R

*If you think I'm kiddin then go here:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070530091923AAdxJiX

Nicely put Rob

Now where was it that I can get french fries woven into my hair please??? ph34r.png

• Like 1

It's an inherent part of the life cycle of online forums. Over the years, I've seen it in action on half a dozen forums ranging from photography to computers to diet to gardening...

Very true AngThong...some forums state that you're not allowed to mess with newbies in certain threads (introduction normally) and if it happens then other members normally step in. I'm a mod on another forum and sometimes a quick link to the search function is enough...sometimes not whistling.gif

Um. I quite recently did my very first post here after being a regular reader of the Samui/Kpng local forum for years. I was accused of being a troll and that but I don't feel it's the long time poster's that have a bad attitude really. When you register to post here you are labeled "newbie" all over. That doesn't exactly encourage people to treat you with respect :) Perhaps something like.. "apprentice" would be better whistling.gif

Um. I quite recently did my very first post here after being a regular reader of the Samui/Kpng local forum for years. I was accused of being a troll and that but I don't feel it's the long time poster's that have a bad attitude really. When you register to post here you are labeled "newbie" all over. That doesn't exactly encourage people to treat you with respect smile.png Perhaps something like.. "apprentice" would be better whistling.gif

I got some grief on the Samui Forum too many moons ago. Don't let it bother you....once you clocked up a few thousand posts they are like pussycats. wink.png

Must say though....best to stick to commenting on threads for a bit unless there is a really strong question you need answering. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

I don't think it's a case of any of us being "snobs", I'd say generally that the Samui and Islands forum, is a lot more

A post littered with a proliferation of us and we. What is this cabal's name?

You and your clique - that you talk of - display signs of PTSD.

Endeavour to be more tolerant and beneficent and your life and emotions will stabilise.

Don't follow the herd.

Maybe it's just that we're used to a certain level of, shall we say . . . well, protocol, is probably it.

A particular approach. Thinking about it, I realise I expect this.

When I first posted on this board I'd already been reading and watching it for quite a few months.

I researched what i wanted to know and enjoyed spending time looking through older posts and finding stuff out.

In my first year as a member I reckon I made five or six posts?

So it comes across as rude and impatient to me to see a thoughtless set of blanket posts like the ones in question.

As Jimmy says, also they were just so hasty, general and vague.

I'm aware that this isn't the way that everyone goes about this.

Other people might not realise that they're grabbing at instant gratification. They might not see themselves as being . . . rude.

But judging by the overall response to this poster I was not alone in thinking this was in some way unacceptable - in some way out of order!

There are no exact forum rules about this (that I'm aware of) but the responses from other members were all in the same vein . . .

R

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 2

just my opinion become a bit of a closed shop, DOINGOK user name got battered after a few months, first welcome then he posted that things were bit expensive and the battering started. Posters versus actual expats small, many people viewing but not posting and i understand why, as somebody recently posted Usual Suspects. But in the scheme of things in Samui not important.

Um. I quite recently did my very first post here after being a regular reader of the Samui/Kpng local forum for years. I was accused of being a troll and that but I don't feel it's the long time poster's that have a bad attitude really. When you register to post here you are labeled "newbie" all over. That doesn't exactly encourage people to treat you with respect smile.png Perhaps something like.. "apprentice" would be better whistling.gif

The "Newbie" is indeed misleading. For example a 30 year retired police officer may comment on a crime related thread & get slagged off by a 20 year old serial poster on the grounds of post count or date of joining.

Being a"Newbie" doesn't necessarily mean you're starting your first year at school & have to bend over ready for Flashman:)

• Like 1

The "Newbie" is indeed misleading. For example a 30 year retired police officer may comment on a crime related thread & get slagged off by a 20 year old serial poster on the grounds of post count or date of joining.

Being a"Newbie" doesn't necessarily mean you're starting your first year at school & have to bend over ready for Flashmansmile.png

Newbie means nothing, it's just the level of posts you have. You can be a member for 8 years with 10 posts because you like to read &only post when the need arises.The automated system will still class you as a Newbie.

Not commenting on moderation, but I do try & keep an eye for new members . Some just bring it onto themselves I'm afraid and this is not only on the Samui forum or Thaivisa, it is prevalent in all forums.

It's good to know that somebody keeps an eye on us. The label itself may mean nothing and it's set by an automated system but it still communicates one thing: "YOU HAVE NO AUTHORITY HERE". tongue.png At least that how I felt. :)

It's good to know that somebody keeps an eye on us. The label itself may mean nothing and it's set by an automated system but it still communicates one thing: "YOU HAVE NO AUTHORITY HERE". tongue.png At least that how I felt. smile.png

Do not worry - we have all been there whistling.gif