A Bit Of String

loong

Sometimes the Thais will surround the village with string. I have no idea why, some sort of buddhist thing I guess.

I took my stepdaughter to her Grand Father's house this evening. As we climbed the steps to his house, I missed the string, probably because I was bent down holding her hand.

When we left, she wanted a piggy back. As I walked down the steps, this string was at neck level. When I felt it, I was unable to stop from going down another step. By going down to the next step, this string was really taut and was actually choking me.

I had to get my daughter off my back and so squatted down, making the string even tighter. With my hands free, I was able to lean back and get the string off of my neck. When I released the string, it took my specs with it and flung them into the wall of the house - lucky they didn't break.

I suppose that in a way, it was good that this string was at my neck level. If it had been above my head, it may have pulled my daughter off of my back and onto the concrete steps.

Am pleased that Yourself and your Stepdaughter were not harmed.

I wouldn't like to think what would of happened if you had lost your footing and you both had taken a fall.

Maybe it would be a good idea to ask the Grand Father to fix the string next time at a more foreigner friendly height.

The string is old superstition done for or by the monks in the hope that they will get a free breakfast. Nothing to do with Buddhism.

Don't break the string otherwise you will get dark looks from the neighbours for weeks.

I'm glad that you are both OK.