Bedding ?

Malthus101

Good evening all...

So I have a nice little condo I'm moving into in a few days and the big bed there will need bedding.

I'm not even entirely sure what is most suitable for this climate.

In London, a warm duvet would be the answer, here, not such a good idea.

I like plain white cotton, will also need pillows (goose or duck down, expensive in BKK?)

Maybe silk bedding? Is it good for this warmer climate?

I don't want to go cray-cray with expenditure but also want decent quality.

Any suggestions?

I found this list of suppliers online which looks useful -

http://bangkok.angloinfo.com/af/660/bangkok-beds-bedding-and-linen.html

Any tips would help, thanks...

I use a duvet, fitted sheet, and flat sheet and nearly always sleep with the AC on or at least set it to run for about 3hrs to knock the heat back a bit. I have found ok quality / value items at Tokyu department store in MBK but also took the trouble to bring back sheet sets after my last trip home. My experience thus far is that good quality bedding is considered a luxury item here and priced accordingly.

I still think of a complete bed as a fitted sheet, flat sheet, blanket, and comforter so, while I have given up the blanket, I am probably an outlier with the use of a flat sheet (I don't think Europeans use them and Thais certainly don't).

Thanks CPT - what do Thais sleep in?

I think what I would do is put a fiited sheet over the matress with a blanket underneath it to provide some cushioning.

Then I quite like these very thin duvet things they have here in the guesthouses - is it possible to find those with changeable covers?

And are feather or down pillows considered a luxury here (more than in the West?) I asume they just use foam or something here... Can't imagine the Thais' giving too much of a hoot about what they sleep on.

Thanks.

Thanks CPT - what do Thais sleep in?

I think what I would do is put a fiited sheet over the matress with a blanket underneath it to provide some cushioning.

Then I quite like these very thin duvet things they have here in the guesthouses - is it possible to find those with changeable covers?

And are feather or down pillows considered a luxury here (more than in the West?) I asume they just use foam or something here... Can't imagine the Thais' giving too much of a hoot about what they sleep on.

Thanks.

The standard Thai bedding for a genuine bed (as in with a mattress elevated off the floor) seems to be a fitted sheet and a comforter. They also tend to use bolsters and bolster cases are included in sheet sets. Of course many (most?) still sleep on a thin woven mat with a blanket and small pillow.

Many of the mattresses here are rock hard and a blanket under your fitted sheet might not be enough. Soft mattress toppers are widely available and probably a better solution to address an overly hard mattress while avoiding buying a new one.

Duvets (a comforter with a removable cover) are available and a great choice as I find I like to wash everything more frequently here plus the covers are generally machine washable which certainly beats hauling a comforter to the drycleaners.

I'm afraid I have no idea about the pilows as I haven't looked for down filled ones.

I 2nd IKEA, very large selection of pillows with good explanations of various fillings and also content labels on sheets and duvets that you can trust. Most Thai bedding retailers, including those at Chatuchak and even some expensive dept stores can be very inaccurate about cotton content.

Sometimes a long wait at Udom Suk (in front of 7-11) for free bus. Taxi about B80 from there. Don't say Ikea...say MEGA Bang Na.

Housewares dept also great for all the incidentals you'll need. Don't forget to bring a backpack or large bag as Ikea does not give out bags. You can buy a plastic carrier from them at check-out.

DO NOT GO ON A WEEKEND!!!!! Huge crowds, Monday-Tuesday best. B15 hot dogs at check out...yum!

• Like 1

Thanks guys... Even my Thai friend from BKK who now lives in London said IKEA!

I actually went to Aussino today again at Chit Lom - bought a "quilt" (thin polyester duvet) and a quilt cover set which includes two pillow cases.

They were having a sale but it still all came to just under 6,000 Baht which I imagine is quite a lot by Thai standards but oh well...

They were out of white sheets and matress protectors.

So I need 2 white sheets, 2 pillows (pref down or feather rather than polyester) and some kind of soft thing to go under the fitted sheet.

I know in the UK IKEA never followed standard fitting sizes and always did their own sizes which was always annoying. Do IKEA follow the standard small, twin, queen, king standard sizings I have seen everywhere else?

Muji sell pillows that are 50 x 70cm and are 5% down, 95% feather. Each one priced at 1150 baht.

My Aussino pillow cases are 50 x 75cm.

You think IKEA will have a better price and same size?

Thanks folks... almost there!