My Prediction For The Pacific Peso-Thb In May, 2014

I predict 25-26 baht to the AUD, based on my belief that we will once again see a strong USD in 2014, pushing our currency (and the baht ..) back to much more realistic levels, No idea where that leaves the pound or the Euro, but perhaps your crystal balls are better than mine. The pundits here dont seem able to agree on the Aussie, but broadest consensus is somewhere between 85 and 90 cents within 2 years, and that's still a long way north of the nastiness that saw our dollar plummet to something down around 60 cents in 2008 - dark days indeed, When you consider that we have had a completely clueless mob in charge of the country for most of the 'Great Recession', it astounds me that we have two bob to rub together ....

Over to you, doom and gloom merchants - feel free to tell me that it will be ten baht to the dollar by Xmas :)

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=THB&view=1Y

I think any currency prediction is doomed. I am in the same boat as you as the loonie seems to be on par now with the aussie. Some local bank analysts predict 90 cents by the end of the year.

Yet, I remain optimist. I personally think that the USD will drop eventually given the amount of ink and paper used by the Feds. When another country prints money, their currency goes down (e.g. Japan). When US prints - it goes up. This does not make much sense, and I think it will catch up eventually.

Canada and Australia, on the other hand, did not use the priting press, which I think puts them in better position in long term. But again, there is nothing logical in today's markets, so who knows ...

I take your point, but the same gurus are claiming that the US has eased back on the printing press - I guess time will tell. They seem a little more concerned about (real) tornadoes atm, so the dollar may slide from the front pages for a week or two. In any case, we can all have a good laugh about this prediction in 12 months time - I just think a stronger USD is actually a very good thing for Australia given our reliance on China - bubble paranoia be damned.

I take your point, but the same gurus are claiming that the US has eased back on the printing press - I guess time will tell.

Well, the Feds just mentioned that they are looking at this option in the near future, but my point was about all green papers they have printed so far. In theory, it should the greenback should have depreciated, but in reality it's the opposite. Just shows that there is no logic whatsoever in today markets.

Most of the Canada exporters have adjusted to the par rate with the USD, so anything below is extra profit. Actually, they find more difficult to cope with the volatility and would rather have a stable loonie on par with the USD.

As you said, 10% difference would be good for the economy, but not so good for folks looking elsewhere ...