Amnesty Bill To Reignite Tensions In Thailand

webfact

Amnesty bill to reignite tensions in Thailand
Lindsay Murdoch
South-East Asia correspondent for Fairfax Media

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s deputy prime minister, Chalerm Yubamrung, plans to introduce a contentious amnesty bill into parliament on Thursday that will stoke new political tensions three years after bloody street protests and a military crackdown exposed Thailand’s deep divisions.

The so-called reconciliation bill would absolve all political offenders involved in protests since a 2006 coup and open the way for divisive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to return from self-imposed exile.

"I am still drifting in the sea. Do not let me drift too long."

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra

Among hundreds of others who would be absolved of wrongdoing would be former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, now the opposition leader, who faces murder charges.

He ordered the 2010 crackdown on redshirt supporters of Mr Thaksin, which Mr Abhisit insists his government had to take to end street protests.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/world/amnesty-bill-to-reignite-tensions-in-thailand-20130520-2jw1k.html

-- THE AGE 2013-05-20

• Like 1

absolve all political offenders involved in protests since a 2006 coup and open the way for divisive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to return from self-imposed exile.

I don't see a connection between the 'protests since the coup' and Thaksin's case.

Well, no logical one. However, TIT.

"I am still drifting in the sea. Do not let me drift too long."

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra

Someone, please throw that man an anchor, or concrete shoes at least.

• Like 1

‘‘I am still drifting in the sea. Do not let me drift too long. It is cold and I want to come home,’’ he said.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Someone release the sharks please smile.png

Oh, some sharks in PTP and reanimated old friends are already waiting.

Amnesty for whom , you cannot grant amnesty to some one who has committed a criminal act acting under the laws of that country, to do so would set a precedence, under a democracy you cannot pick and choose , either everyone gets an amnesty or none, you cannot define certain dates or certain crimes or certain places, a good Queens Council (Westminster System) would rip the amnesty law to shreds, you do the crime , you do the time.bah.gif

Edited by chainarong
  • Like 2

Thaksin's case and conviction was not because he was one of the "political offenders involved in protests" since the coup.

Therefore his case and his conviction does not come under the scope of this reconciliation bill.

That is why I said I see no logical connection between his case and this bill. And no justification to "open the way" for Thaksin to return.

He [Chalerm] said it aims to grant amnesty to concerned people involved in political incidents from 2006 to the Pitak Siam group rally in Bangkok in November last year.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/639703-i-will-table-amnesty-bill-next-week-says-chalerm/

Since Thaksin and his supporters say that the charges were politically motivated by the coup generals, they would probably fall under "political incidents" and be covered.

You have to love this situation, Chalerm is so desperate to get Mr. T back that he's prepared to allow amnesty for everybody but is being warned from within PTP that many reds will object because it will let Abhisit and Suthep avoid the punishment the reds have in mind for them. The Democrats are not prepared to see Thaksin cheat justice and will not accept anything that lets him come back without jail time.

Our hero Chalerm is likely to cop it from all sides and will undoubtedly end up throwing the toys out the pram.

Meanwhile last night Mr. t told the reds he doesn't care if he never gets back to Thailand as long as all " innocent" reds charged in connection with 2010 are acquitted Of course recent comments from within PTP made it clear he told to get on with his amnesty as it was their only priority.

Oh what tangled webs etc,

Thaksin's case and conviction was not because he was one of the "political offenders involved in protests" since the coup.

Therefore his case and his conviction does not come under the scope of this reconciliation bill.

That is why I said I see no logical connection between his case and this bill. And no justification to "open the way" for Thaksin to return.

He [Chalerm] said it aims to grant amnesty to concerned people involved in political incidents from 2006 to the Pitak Siam group rally in Bangkok in November last year.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/639703-i-will-table-amnesty-bill-next-week-says-chalerm/

Since Thaksin and his supporters say that the charges were politically motivated by the coup generals, they would probably fall under "political incidents" and be covered.

From "political offenders involved in protests" to "people involved in political incidents"! biggrin.png

I wonder what the wording of the actual bill is? ohmy.png

That will keep a few lawyers busy for years.

• Like 1

He [Chalerm] said it aims to grant amnesty to concerned people involved in political incidents from 2006 to the Pitak Siam group rally in Bangkok in November last

year.

From "political offenders involved in protests" to "people involved in political incidents"! biggrin.png

I wonder what the wording of the actual bill is? ohmy.png

That will keep a few lawyers busy for years.

How is fraud a 'political incident' ?

Wasn't it obvious from the very start what this amnesty was all about?

Abhisit gets charged with murder, we will make sure the charges are dropped if you and your party agree to the man in Dubai coming back with a amnesty... yes ok then we will agree

• Like 1

Only problem with that Darren is the man in Dubai judged Abhisit by his own standards, that is lack of intestinal fortitude.

Abhisit has told them to go get stuffed no matter how many charges they trump up he will never agree to Thaksins return free of all charges.

• Like 1

How is fraud a 'political incident' ?

The fraud isn't. What they're arguing is the the investigation was political. There wouldn't have been an investigation if there wasn't a coup.

You sum it up nicely WB. It's like a Hollywood police farce. Ignore the real crime and concentrate on attacking the process with illogical reasoning. If there wasn't a coup the dictator wannabee caretaker PM would have continued illegally running the country and scamming billions. But, hey, that's just a minor point.

It's like the Kaiser and Hitler pointing out that Britiain declared war on them, both times. So any war crimes were irrelevant as if Britain hadn't then they wouldn't have been committed. Wow - this re-writing of history is fun!

This crap is so bloody frustrating and very boring. No doubt there were faults on both sides in the conflict fueled by Thaksin who holds the the mantel of convicted criminal for only a few of his crimes against law and the Thai nation.

What happened, happened and the Government should move forward in defence of the economy and the future rather that split the country over the arrogance and hedonism of one family and their somewhat ignorant private army of mindless puppets.

WHY IS IT THAT IN THAILAND NO ONE SEEMS TO LEARN A BLOODY THING FROM MISTAKES OF THE PAST.

They seem incapable of self reproach or retrospective thinking.

This country has far more pressing issues to deal with than the desires/ego of that cancerous little man in Dubai and his family and cronies.

I agree with you. The one major problem is that "the cancerous little man in Dubai", as you so poetically refer to him, is the

brother of the woman who is Prime Minister here and her sister is sitting waiting for her call to action. So not much chance of independent action. Thailand is a family business.

This whole place would grind to a halt without the little man with the big ego.

This whole place would grind to a halt without the little man with the big ego.

Not the whole place RC just the whole Government.

Just how much influence the Govt has on private enterprise in this country is debatable, seems to me it would probably be better off without them.

• Like 1

‘‘I am still drifting in the sea. Do not let me drift too long. It is cold and I want to come home,’’ he said.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Someone release the sharks please smile.png

He dived in head first. Nobody pushed him. David Hasselhoff, please stay away. He has a life jacket - packed with money to keep him afloat.

Only problem with that Darren is the man in Dubai judged Abhisit by his own standards, that is lack of intestinal fortitude.

Abhisit has told them to go get stuffed no matter how many charges they trump up he will never agree to Thaksins return free of all charges.

The article states " Among hundreds of others who would be absolved of wrongdoing would be former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, now the opposition leader, who faces murder charges"

Not picking holes in your argument but it seems pretty obvious that a deal has/will be struck, the man in Dubai gets to come back and Abhisit gets his charges dropped, that's how I see it anyway

Edited by darrendsd

Regarding this bill and the whole topic.......

All I know is that the path being taken is not the right one. But as a foreigner we really have no rights or say in the matter and we can change nothing regarding this issue

I say just enjoy thailand's limited time left.

Sent from my using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The article states " Among hundreds of others who would be absolved of wrongdoing would be former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, now the opposition leader, who faces murder charges"

Not picking holes in your argument but it seems pretty obvious that a deal has/will be struck, the man in Dubai gets to come back and Abhisit gets his charges dropped, that's how I see it anyway

Former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and former deputy PM Suthep Thaugsuban said yesterday that they were ready to accept their fate in relation to the murder charges levelled against them, but said they would never make compromises and let amnesty be provided to former PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/603532-abhisit-suthep-death-before-amnesty-bill-no-compromises-to-whitewash-thaksin/

Sincerely hope your wrong

These idiots are just asking for a coup. All for what? Their monthly allowance from the scum from Dubai. Hell has a special level for these greedy animals.

Paying monthly allowances is not his style. Giving them some government job where they can skim off the taxpayers is.

>Former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and former deputy PM Suthep Thaugsuban said yesterday that they were ready to accept their fate in relation to the murder charges levelled against them, but said they would never make compromises and let amnesty be provided to former PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/603532-abhisit-suthep-death-before-amnesty-bill-no-compromises-to-whitewash-thaksin/

From a article dated last year, as with everything things can change

From a article dated last year, as with everything things can change

Nothing since then has indicated any change. They have consistently said that they will let justice decide their fate, and that they won't accept amnesty of Thaksin, the red shirt leaders or anyone charge with criminal activities (ie grenades and burning)
  • Like 2