Asia-Pacific Leaders Warn Of Water Conflict Threat

webfact

Asia-Pacific leaders warn of water conflict threat

CHIANG MAI, Thailand, May 20, 2013 (AFP) - Fierce competition for water could trigger conflict unless nations cooperate to share the diminishing resource, leaders from Asia-Pacific nations warned Monday.

From Central to Southeast Asia, regional efforts to secure water have sparked tensions between neighbours reliant on rivers to sustain booming populations.

Breakneck urbanisation, climate change and surging demand from agriculture have heaped pressure on scarce water supplies, while the majority of people in Asia-Pacific still lack access to safe water despite surging economic growth.

"There could be a fight over resources" unless countries agree to share water, Thailand's Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said in an address to a regional water security forum in the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai.

"No country in this region can handle these challenges alone," she said, hailing forums such as the Asia-Pacific Water Summit as the route to satisfying countries' thirst peacefully.

A Thai firm is behind a controversial dam over the Mekong river in Laos, a project decried by downstream countries Vietnam and Cambodia which fear it could ruin their farming and fishing industries.

Asian nations need to plough an estimated $380 billion into water and sanitation systems in the decade to 2020 if they are to achieve water security, Brunei Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah warned the summit.

The "vital undertaking" comes against a backdrop of competition that "could lead to international disputes", he cautioned.

One such row is between Uzebekistan and its neighbours Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan which want to build two of the world's biggest hydro-electric power stations.

Speaking at the conference on Sunday, Tajik President Emomali Rakhmon defended his country's right to exploit its natural resources but pledged to pursue a "peaceful solution" to the dispute which has seen angry rhetoric soar over recent months.

Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina cited a water-sharing treaty between her nation and India over the Ganges river as an example of successful water diplomacy.

"Only judicious management of access to water resources" will prevent conflict, she said.

Low-lying Bangladesh has around 30 million people exposed to rising sea levels, she added, raising the issue of climate change in a region where catastrophic floods are commonplace.

The Asian Development Bank last month warned that nearly two-thirds of people in the region have no clean, piped water at home despite the region's strong growth, blaming poor management and a lack of investment in infrastructure.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-05-20

So, if I understand our PM correctly, we have

There could be a fight over resources unless countries agree to share water, and as no country can handle these challenges alone a Thai firm is behind a controversial dam over the Mekong river in Laos, a project decried by downstream countries Vietnam and Cambodia which fear it could ruin their farming and fishing industries.

• Like 1

There could be a fight over resources unless countries agree to share water, and as no country can handle these challenges alone a Thai firm is behind a controversial dam over the Mekong river in Laos, a project decried by downstream countries Vietnam and Cambodia which fear it could ruin their farming and fishing industries.

Yes - frightening isn't it. The prospect of Vietnam and Cambodia having there access to water partly controlled by the Shiniattra dynasty. See why the Cambodians are marrying into the family! wink.png

Seriously, many papers have been written on the increasing use of water supply as an economic and political weapon. If a country dams a major river and reduces or stops supply to your country, what choices do you have?

Precisely.

A bit of hypocrisy from our woman-of-action PM. While she's at it she could also mention China's dams on the upper Mekhong. Maybe in a speech in Iceland or equally remote.

I've been saying this for years, there will be big wars over water long before there are big wars over fuel. When I say big I mean world war big.

Maybe this is why Dr. Thaksin is trying to kill the Thai rice industry. He knows there won't be enough water in the future and the farmers won't change crops voluntarily. Got to hand it to him, Dr. T is a futurist and preplanner. I wonder what crop he has in mind for a substitute for rice.

was China represented at this forum ??????

If not why not ?

If a river flows through 4 countries it would be reasonable to assume it is owned by none and shared by all - I can see how that could go very very wrong especially when a country like China is almost at it's source and already being exploited for it's own use

If the rivers aren't flowing fast enough just use boat propellers to speed them up, isn't it obvious?

Look at most of the rivers and canals around Bangkok

,I have just stayed in Sahmut Sahkon,for six weeks, None of the drains flow, And have not done for years, They have stagnant water in them, the Local rivers are totally blocked with weed, Among that weed are plastics, ie, Bottles along with polystyrene, also a few dead animals. they should take a tip From Holland or England how to manage rivers and there eb and flow, also the amount of trees that are being cut down, This all contributes to bad water management,

Ps Britain is awash with water does Thailand want to buy some.

Edited by Thongkorn