Thai Woman Scammed Out Of 200,000 Baht By ' Nigerian 419' Approach

webfact

An interesting dated article about those African scammers :

Published on Jun 7, 2012

Nakhon Ratchasima police have arrested a Nigerian man for allegedly duping a Thai woman into sending him tens of thousands of baht after leading her to believe he wanted to marry her.

The arrest of Nigerian Smith Nnamadi, 34, at a Bangkok department store, came after a woman, whose name was withheld, complained to police that he had allegedly lured her to send him money under false pretences. The woman claimed that she knew the suspect via Facebook under name of Joe Henry, a British. They became lovers and Nnamadi proposed marriage after chatting via the network for two months. The suspect claimed he wished to bring in a Bt3million dowry but could not afford the fee of Bt321,560, so he asked her to help. The victim wired him Bt74,560 but Henry said he needed more. That made her suspicious and she turned to the police.

A sting operation was set up at a local mall, where the Nigerian suspect came to pick up the money. The police investigation found that Nnamadi conspired with other foreigners to lure Thai women, wanting foreign husbands, via MSN, Facebook and online websites to dupe them into sending money. Police will hunt for his accomplices.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not long ago i posted that my wf.was getting these contact requests at the rate of 3 a day,capt,generals,even one guy said he was stuck in ghana.she keeps on blocking them but they come back under diff.name.i think i might answer one or two and ask them to send me some money

hey, this story was done 10 years ago with thai women who wanted to come to europe but needed passport, money, taxes, ticket, to have a GOOD time in your country...

u so hansome, u want girlfriend, blabla .... was a big story back then, done by thai women and i guess it is still in place

karma ?

I am almost past caring about people being taken by these well known confidence scams. If it seems too good to be true, guess what, it probably is a scam. I have come around to think of this as a survival of the fittest scenario, except without all the blood, screaming, and death. Trick me once, shame on you does apply but in the internet age you should be able to learn from the stupidity of others.

So this in the internet age maybe this old saying should be modified to "Trick me once with a scam that is easily discovered if you know how to use Google, and you deserve exactly what you get".

If there is no price for stupidity, pretty soon the whole world will be idiots.

Sorry, rant over.

I cant belive someone would be fooled by this scam. ! And it says above shes well educated, i say there is more brains in a glass ashtray !

A fool and their money are quickly parted. Seems really naïve. Passing through the education system here or elsewhere can't teach common sense. Even those approaching you posing as members of an embassy, one would demand written explanation before handing over money????...I do anyway, but apparently not everyone. Edited by gemini81

Little off topic but good example of daft monetary thoughts. My mrs eldest sister was short of money to pay her dodgy money lender, so she went to another dodgy money lender to borrow 3000 bht to buy 3000 bht worth of lottery tickets w00t.gif to be sure of winning cheesy.gif . She won nothing and next day went to the temple to ask why she never won. rolleyes.gif ..............................cheesy.gif True.

She was 'well educated', I beg to differ.

Well educated does not = wise. Some of the biggest idiots I have known were educated people.

These scammers have a slogan; There Is One Born Every Minute.

Never give money to people you meet on the Internet, not under any circumstances, no matter how real they may seem.

There's actually an online community dedicated to baiting the 419 scammers. Here's a really interesting link how to bait them and scam them back, it's actually turned into an internet sport. http://www.419eater.com/html/baiting.htm

Somebody in the US makes a real hobby of scamming the scammers and he has had them do crazy things like dancing and singing on Skype or similar, and then he posts them on youtube. He also did something like convincing them that he had no spare cash but had 100 brand new laptop computers that he would send them (for the school charity or whatever the scam was) if they paid the international freight - he then sent the a pre-loved (knackered) gas oven COD and they had to pay the freight to get it released from customs - about US6,000 or something like that.

Just had a look on the web and found this video about scambaiting the oven as above.

There is a reason this scam works so well on the thais, Its easier to scam greedy people.

Agree there are many greedy Thai woman out there, the more u give the more they want,they think we have a never ending bank roll,But still i love em like crazy.

At last, I found a way to make money in Thailand for my retirement plan !!!

Reverse the trend.....

Let me see, My 6 year old son has Leukaemia my wife left me for another man and I need money to get to Thailand because I can't afford the medical costs in my own country. If i can pay cash I can get a discount airfare and it will all be good when I get the cheque from the National Health Service.

Damn it's easy to be cynical when you've been here a while. Getting hard to be sympathetic.

The Nigerians are going to have a very good market here! With all the greedy Thai ladies around "looking for love" Posted Image

I don't feel sorry for the victims, it is simply karma catching up!

i agree fully with you.

Here the africans have a fertile land!!! Women are limitless greedy !

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• 2 months later...

I’ve experienced almost similar story myself. I’m Thai and thought I’ll try my luck on love via internet dating.

I got approached by an English man (so he claimed). We chat for a month and this guy was telling me about his big investment plan of 700 000 GBP and decided to buy a plan ticket to meet with me in Thailand and tell me to prepare myself cos he is bringing some cash to invest….(RIGHT!!)

For some reason this “rich man” who got lots of money to invest did not buy a direct flight ticket to Thailand (if I have that kind of money I would’ve bought first class ticket), instead he bought a ticket that stop in Kuala Lumpur….

Anyway, to make story short, the morning of his arrival in Malaysia, I got a phone call from Malaysian’s customs officer (so he said he was) claiming that they have arrested my guy on the charged of money laundry. According to the fake officer, my guy was bringing with him almost a hundred thousand GBP cash. The Malaysian gov. would not release him cos the nature of the case is a very serious one until someone bails him out.

But there is a solution after long and hard investigations (hahahaha). The solution was that I have to send money to this customs guy so the Malaysian gov. would let my guy come to me with that big fat cash he was carrying with him….

I told them that I’m greedy but NOT that greedy and stupid and told them to <deleted> off!

It’s amazing what people would do for money to day!

• Like 1

Not so difficult to make sneering comments. Sure, nobody posting here or even reading this would ever fall for this scam. But never forget the world is not entirely populated by internet savvy native or fluent English speakers. The mainstream of information runs in English, and I noticed even German speakers are often poorly informed (like applying for a multi entry Thai visa in Singapore though it is all over the internet this is not the right place to do it) - so what about Thai speakers? Ask yourself, would it be so easy for you to be the smart well informed guy if 90% of the information on the internet would be in French?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve experienced almost similar story myself. I’m Thai and thought I’ll try my luck on love via internet dating.

I got approached by an English man (so he claimed). We chat for a month and this guy was telling me about his big investment plan of 700 000 GBP and decided to buy a plan ticket to meet with me in Thailand and tell me to prepare myself cos he is bringing some cash to invest….(RIGHT!!)

For some reason this “rich man” who got lots of money to invest did not buy a direct flight ticket to Thailand (if I have that kind of money I would’ve bought first class ticket), instead he bought a ticket that stop in Kuala Lumpur….

Anyway, to make story short, the morning of his arrival in Malaysia, I got a phone call from Malaysian’s customs officer (so he said he was) claiming that they have arrested my guy on the charged of money laundry. According to the fake officer, my guy was bringing with him almost a hundred thousand GBP cash. The Malaysian gov. would not release him cos the nature of the case is a very serious one until someone bails him out.

But there is a solution after long and hard investigations (hahahaha). The solution was that I have to send money to this customs guy so the Malaysian gov. would let my guy come to me with that big fat cash he was carrying with him….

I told them that I’m greedy but NOT that greedy and stupid and told them to fuc_k off!

It’s amazing what people would do for money to day!

jade 8888 the same strory, exactly the same story happened to a friend of my wife around 6 years ago. But she paid and lot of money. When they recieved the money they asked more and more until she ended paying 350000 THB.

Of course she never told police anything. Because she was too much ashamed. And some years after she lost 200000 THB with another scammer.

That trick of carrying is called the scam 911 it is made mostly by Nigerians.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app