Push Stop And Start

Negative aspect:

I valet park, walk off with keys in my pocket and the valet is chasing me through a hotel lobby for the key fob.

The keys are in the Wife's handbag, we park both get our, I can't lock the doors cos they are on her side (a proximity / security design).

Positive aspect:

My key opens the car which then adjusts to my seat / mirror / electronics settings.

The other key can be set to my Wife's settings.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

My 1961 Mini had a push button starter, don't see what all the fuss is about! tongue.png

So did our 57 Fordson tractor but the old starter buttons were not fashionable in those days.

Now the main advantage seems to be fashion and bragging rights.

Edited by Jitar

No scratches around the steering column cowling when one is less coordinated than usual biggrin.png

In seriousness, the feature has a proper use-case in cars that feature engine stop/start systems to save fuel.

Edited by IMHO

No scratches around the steering column cowling when one is less coordinated than usual biggrin.png

In seriousness, the feature has a proper use-case in cars that feature engine stop/start systems to save fuel.

The 'stop-start' feature is one of the most annoying issues with my current car. An annoying design oversight means that whenever I get in my car its automatically on, I have to switch it off each and every time... I'm considering 'coding' the car just to get rid of this (and the start up seatbelt chimes).

I believe the 'stop-start' is present with some cars with a conventional 'key'. I'm also not sure whether it offers much in the way of improved economy (some websites and motor forums suggest drivers have experienced nominal improvement at best).

While I disagree with Jitar's comments regarding bragging rights, I would say that the Keyless entry is great, while a keyless / push button start is nothing more than a gimmick. Perhaps at some point in the future cars will go 'retro' and revert to the key start !

• Like 1

While on a recent visit to the U.S.A. I rented a Nisson Maxama. It had keyless entry and push button start and stop.

I was just wondering just what I would do IF THE BATTERY went dead in the key fob??????

Most of the keyless entry / push button cars have a key inside the key-fob for entry...... But, I don't suppose that helps start the car !

Also, I think long gone are the days of a low car battery and a good old fashioned 'bump start'...

Interesting reads...

Aside from any arguable/minimal benefits of fuel-saving and/or scratch-resistance, the more gimmicks, the more potential for something to go wrong, especially when electrical.

I opted out of the 'keyless door/ignition' model. Couldn't get my head around how it would work if any future need to [as draconian as it is] "bump-start", and then there's the fact that even with a key-operated car, the [master] key/fob only requires the pressing of a button to open locks...keys are then in hand anyway; I also like a bulk of keys, saves me losing them. Can't imagine taking for granted a [resident] fob exists in my pocket, and then...

That said, reading post #6, I had no idea some models are so smart.

While on a recent visit to the U.S.A. I rented a Nisson Maxama. It had keyless entry and push button start and stop.

I was just wondering just what I would do IF THE BATTERY went dead in the key fob??????

There is a starting procedure described in the owner's manual for this case. For Land Cruiser Prado it involves door lock buttons.