Why Thai Ghost Drink Red Fanta

Chao Lao Beach

The Nang Kwak (Goddess of Wealth and Merchants - or waving lady) in our restaurant gets red cordial and a bowl of noodles daily. I'm told she won't drink it unless it's red, the wealth colour, and that we wouldn't prosper if we offered her anything else. If you ask me, some days she must be trying to drink it with a blocked straw.

post-164009-0-89203200-1369134322_thumb.

• Like 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The picture shows a shrine dedicated to a guardian spirit.

The colour red is traditionally a positive sign, a symbol for joy and happiness. Offering someone something to drink is also a symbol of kindness.

People offer red drinks because they mean well towards this spirit.

Not even close! Posted Image

It is offerings to the unborn child. If you are interested in the real story, goggle "kuman thong"Posted Image

Yep that's right. Its kuman thong which is like a guardian angel. Kuman thong likes to drink sweet drinks because he or she is a young kid. Have you ever seen those statues with their hand up? That's a kuman thong.
  • Like 1

The whole Kuman Tong thing got a lot of press from last year's incident with the Taiwanese in Bangkok.

I don't actually see anything along those lines in the OP picture nor any others in this thread, just normal spirit houses.

The waving merchant doll is yet a third practice, "Kata Nang Kwak".

And I'm not even interested in this topic, you guys should get your stories straight if you're going to post as authorities on this stuff.

It is offerings to the unborn child. If you are interested in the real story, goggle "kuman thong"thumbsup.gif

You may find that the term guardian spirit in the relevant literature covers different forms: such as ghosts and deities, and even includes obscure 19th century concepts such as protective infant-ghosts.

that's a good question, i want to know too, btw, i ask to my wife that if i happend to die first, pls dont bring that fanta stuff to my grave, i would prefer some good rum, a pizza and if she could an onze of weed would be appreciated too wai2.gif

• Like 2

They wouldn't get away with this if Thailand had a bear problem

-

Their claws and bile are too valuable all been killed off - now it's "no bears, no problem".

-

Didn't realize this was actually a legal industry in China.

Sure hope not here. . .

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/22/world/asia/chinese-bear-bile-farming-draws-charges-of-cruelty.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Our spirit house gets raided by the cats first, then the chickens the next day.....resulting in a lot of broken dishes and ceramic dolls.

Good. I'm glad to see that animals seem to show more intelligence towards this nonsense than so-called civilised humans.

I fail to see what the point of offering food and drinks to ghosts and spirits if they never eat or drink it anyway. Either they are ungrateful or they just don't exist.

• Like 1

Coca Cola has a contract with Thai ghosts

They're Thaksin supporters.

Coca Cola has a contract with Thai ghosts

They're Thaksin supporters.

Ever notice that when people leave red shirts out in the yard too long, it turns them to pink shirts?? wonder if that means anything?

The ministry of ghosts has made it ilegal for ghosts to drink alchohol so to cater for those ghosts who enjoy a drink or 2 it is actually red wine that is in the fanta bottles

but I have heard that experiments are taking place that red whisky will be available shortly cheesy.gif

The family spends way too much time and attention to our little shrine. So I thought I would introduce a new critter to the smaller ghost house.

A small dark green garden snake that is always hanging around. I was surprised that it hung around the dwelling and when the family approached it holed up in the main adourned house.

The family now goes to our Buddha room for all the offerings and merit. And the snake likes the tree next to the shrine. I can play my guitar outside now without disturbing the worshipers.

• Like 1

Belief, custom or whatever, I cannot help but think of the sheer waste of food and money that goes into these spirit houses. It's not just Fanta, but fruit, pigs heads etc etc, all of which just rots or gets eaten by ants and vermin.

And all this whilst a large number of people die worldwide everyday through malnutrition!

• Like 1

It is offerings to the unborn child. If you are interested in the real story, goggle "kuman thong"thumbsup.gif

You may find that the term guardian spirit in the relevant literature covers different forms: such as ghosts and deities, and even includes obscure 19th century concepts such as protective infant-ghosts.

What literature would you recommend?

Thanks.

The whole Kuman Tong thing got a lot of press from last year's incident with the Taiwanese in Bangkok.

I don't actually see anything along those lines in the OP picture nor any others in this thread, just normal spirit houses.

The waving merchant doll is yet a third practice, "Kata Nang Kwak".

And I'm not even interested in this topic, you guys should get your stories straight if you're going to post as authorities on this stuff.

No your wrong. Look closely at the op pic. There's at least 5 I can see. Kuman thong and Kumalee down the bottom right, nang kwuk is there, then there's the tree with the colored ribbons that's another also up top is pla poom jao tee. But your not interested.

Personally I think it's great Thai culture!

• Like 1