Activating Windows On My New Laptop: Do I Really Have To Do This Again?

OJAS

A few days ago I bought a new Acer Aspire laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate software installed. However, even though according to the system properties Windows is already activated, I am still receiving frequent pop-ups informing me that my activation period has expired and that I must activate Windows within 30 days.

Why am I receiving these pop-ups, and can I safely ignore them? Or is there a risk of my laptop crashing irreversibly 30 days from now (when I shall be in the middle of a trip to Europe)? What does worry me is that, whenever I select the “Retype Your Product Key” option and attempt to enter the 25-digit numeric code, the initial numeral at least is, for reasons which escape me, deemed to be an “Unacceptable character”!

Needless to say, I have found the Microsoft website to be worse than useless in providing clear and definitive advice on this issue to an IT ignoramus like myself!!

Edited by OJAS

Go to http://www.acer.co.th and see if you can find your model there. If you can then check the specs to see what OS comes with your laptop. Many cheaper laptops in Thailand such as Acer don't come with Windows installed, it's usually Linux or DOS. As others have suggested, chances are you have a genuine Thai copy of Windows... if so then purchasing and installing genuine Windows will save you a re-occurrence of similar problems in the future.

If it says Activated in system it should be okay? Are you getting Windows Updates okay?

Try this from MS http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/exe-validation.aspx

The pop up could be some Malware that's inadvertently been loaded when the shop installed software - what happens when you click the popup? Have you run something like Malwarebytes?

From experience it won't just stop working - you can just buy a Win7 code on line and enter that and it should function.

• Like 1

If it says Activated in system it should be okay? Are you getting Windows Updates okay?

Try this from MS http://www.microsoft...validation.aspx unfortunately. After obtaining and inserting a validation code, all I get is the following error message:

“We are sorry, the page that you requested cannot be found.

“The URL may have been misspelled or the page that you’re looking for may no longer be available.”

Whenever I click on a pop-up, I get the following message:

“Activate Windows now.

“Your activation period has expired. You must activate Windows.”

& then the following 4 options:

1. ACTIVATE WINDOWS ONLINE

Unsuccessful in my case because, as stated in my original post, the initial digit of my Product Key is deemed to be an “Unacceptable character”.

2. BUY A NEW PRODUCT KEY ONLINE

I get a message informing me that Windows validation is taking place, and then, when completed, the following message:

“Activate Windows.

“Windows validation detected and repaired an activation exploit (used to prevent built-in Windows licensing components from operating properly). You must activate Windows in order to complete the repair process and be able to use the full functionality of Windows. Not to worry, we can help you with that.” biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

At the foot of this second message are 2 tabs, the first inviting me to buy genuine Windows at a cost of GBP 139.00, and the second purporting to troubleshoot with a series of generalised unhelpful questions and answers in my case.

3. RETYPE YOUR PRODUCT KEY

Again unsuccessful because the initial digit of my Product Key is deemed to be an “Unacceptable character”.

4. SEE OTHER WAYS TO ACTIVATE

This merely, yet again, prompts me for a Product Key!

Could it be entering a Thai script character instead of a roman character? That would probably constitute an 'unacceptable' character.

It's definitely a Roman numeral that I'm trying to enter!

Edited by OJAS

Why this long story? Why doesn't the OP confirm that they have paid for Windows 7 Ultimate? From where has the OP obtain the 25 digit product key that he is attempting to enter?

It is clear to me that he has not paid for a genuine licence and that Microsoft has detected the crude exploit used to 'activate' the operating system.

So rather than waste time working from cryptic clues, perhaps the OP can answer some pertinent questions; Is there a Microsoft COA sticker on the bottom of the laptop with contains information on which version of Windows 7(Ultimate in your case) is installed and the Product Key? If not, did you buy a separate package containing a Windows 7 Ultimate discreplete with a Microsoft COA sticker on the packaging?

If neither, from where did you obtain the product key that you are attempting to enter?

Whilst you may think these question are not pertinent, they are essential to discovering the solution and your honesty with your replies will be integral as to whether I decide to help you.

• Like 1

Why this long story? Why doesn't the OP confirm that they have paid for Windows 7 Ultimate? From where has the OP obtain the 25 digit product key that he is attempting to enter?

It is clear to me that he has not paid for a genuine licence and that Microsoft has detected the crude exploit used to 'activate' the operating system.

So rather than waste time working from cryptic clues, perhaps the OP can answer some pertinent questions; Is there a Microsoft COA sticker on the bottom of the laptop with contains information on which version of Windows 7(Ultimate in your case) is installed and the Product Key? If not, did you buy a separate package containing a Windows 7 Ultimate discreplete with a Microsoft COA sticker on the packaging?

If neither, from where did you obtain the product key that you are attempting to enter?

Whilst you may think these question are not pertinent, they are essential to discovering the solution and your honesty with your replies will be integral as to whether I decide to help you.

Hmm, not sure that I like the accusation of dishonesty implied in your final sentence. The only stickers on the bottom of my laptop appear to be the manufacturer’s plus a small A&T one containing several 1- or 2-digit numbers (whatever that may be all about). Certainly no sign of a Microsoft COA one (whatever COA might stand for). I obtained the Product Key I have unsuccessfully attempted to enter from the System Properties as stored electronically on my laptop.

Write about copied (pirated) software is illegal and against Thaivisa rules.

Few posts have been deleted.

I hope that it would still be permissible within forum rules for posters to inform me of the potential OPERATIONAL (as distinct from legal) risks and implications of having counterfeit software installed on my laptop, as now appears 99.99% certain. According to the Microsoft website, I may be denied “the full functionality of Windows” as a result. But precisely what is this IMHO vague statement likely to mean in practice?

This may be tantamount to stating the bleeding obvious to computing whizz-kids, but I would most certainly find specific clarification extremely helpful as a humble technophobe (even if pure gut reaction alone leads me to conclude that this will probably not sound like good news).

Edited by OJAS

In short, you get nag screens, your wallpaper goes black and I don't think you can use Windows Update.

Despite being the most expensive version, half the laptops in Thailand seem to run Win Ultimate whistling.gif ...probably why most people suggested you had a pirated version because in Thailand you would expect Ultimate to come factory installed on only a few top of the range laptops. Looking at the Acer website would have confirmed this for you...

Genuine Win 7 Home Premium sells for about 4,000 baht in Thailand. It's simpler in the long run.

Edited by kkerry

The Product Key found will not activate Windows.

What is the full model number of your laptop? Was it supplied with a Driver and Utilities disc?

Whatever happens, you will and should run a clean install whilst formatting the disc. Will send you a PM with instructions to test for an existing SLIC.

anyone know where to get a license for the OEM version of windows 7?

the oem version is the mass version used for manufacturers and is cheaper than typical retail windows.,

anyone know where to get a license for the OEM version of windows 7?

the oem version is the mass version used for manufacturers and is cheaper than typical retail windows.,

http://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/listCategory/2/1093/0/index.html

It's usually easier to find the OEM version than the more expensive retail version.

The main limitation with the OEM version is you can only use it on one computer (yes, I know there are ways to get around this before anyone corrects me wink.png )

Microsoft has other requirements to qualify to purchase this as it's meant for system builders but in Thailand and many other places if you have the cash then that is the only requirement that matters. I still prefer the full retail version as if your computer was to crash and burn then you can use your licence on a completely different replacement system.

• Like 2

I have a genuine Windows 7 Home Premium with never used code and sticker. It is the 32 nit verison, which I why I cant user it as my computer reqiures the 64bit one.

I paid over 3500 baht for this, and store wont buy it back. So anyone interested, the price is 2000 thb. I can guarantee that it is genuine and that the code has never been used.

It might be a clever idea to complain at your dealer, where you bought the machine. He is definitely the first address in your case. As you just got the new machine, it should be under warranty and he is the one to take care of the problem.

Otherwise, in cases like this I always recommend installing Linux, it is free and it works. whistling.gif

talking on windows7 licences (or maybe even Windows8 ?) , does anyone know whether in Thailand MS sells special cheaper O.S. versions to students, like Microsoft does in other countries??

would be interesting for my daughter on uni to get an official microsoft working.

Edited by ardsong

The only stickers on the bottom of my laptop appear to be the manufacturer’s plus a small A&T one containing several 1- or 2-digit numbers (whatever that may be all about). Certainly no sign of a Microsoft COA one (whatever COA might stand for). I obtained the Product Key I have unsuccessfully attempted to enter from the System Properties as stored electronically on my laptop.

Do you have a windows disk? Where did you get your product code?

Go to http://www.acer.co.th and see if you can find your model there. If you can then check the specs to see what OS comes with your laptop. Many cheaper laptops in Thailand such as Acer don't come with Windows installed, it's usually Linux or DOS. As others have suggested, chances are you have a genuine Thai copy of Windows... if so then purchasing and installing genuine Windows will save you a re-occurrence of similar problems in the future.

It is quite hard to desk with comments like this because it is rubbish.

Every Acer machine world wide is sold with an operating system. To say otherwise is based on having no knowledge.

If you need assistance, PM me and I will assist remotely if you wish.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Try this from MS http://www.microsoft...validation.aspx unfortunately. After obtaining and inserting a validation code, all I get is the following error message:

“We are sorry, the page that you requested cannot be found.

“The URL may have been misspelled or the page that you’re looking for may no longer be available.”

Whenever I click on a pop-up, I get the following message:

“Activate Windows now.

“Your activation period has expired. You must activate Windows.”

& then the following 4 options:

1. ACTIVATE WINDOWS ONLINE

Unsuccessful in my case because, as stated in my original post, the initial digit of my Product Key is deemed to be an “Unacceptable character”.

2. BUY A NEW PRODUCT KEY ONLINE

I get a message informing me that Windows validation is taking place, and then, when completed, the following message:

“Activate Windows.

“Windows validation detected and repaired an activation exploit (used to prevent built-in Windows licensing components from operating properly). You must activate Windows in order to complete the repair process and be able to use the full functionality of Windows. Not to worry, we can help you with that.” biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

At the foot of this second message are 2 tabs, the first inviting me to buy genuine Windows at a cost of GBP 139.00, and the second purporting to troubleshoot with a series of generalised unhelpful questions and answers in my case.

3. RETYPE YOUR PRODUCT KEY

Again unsuccessful because the initial digit of my Product Key is deemed to be an “Unacceptable character”.

4. SEE OTHER WAYS TO ACTIVATE

This merely, yet again, prompts me for a Product Key!

>Could it be entering a Thai script character instead of a roman character? That would probably constitute an 'unacceptable' character.

It's definitely a Roman numeral that I'm trying to enter!

Take the computer back to where you bought it, they should be able to activate it, even if it is a "Thai" copy

• Like 2

A parallel story:

I had the main hard disk die in one of my desktop computers a few months back that had my own fully licensed U.S. version of Windows 7 Home Premium on it.

When I went to have my local ForetuneTown repair shop install and setup a new C: drive hard disk that I had purchased, even though I loaned them my original Windows 7 Home Premium install DVD to use (but not my Product Key Code), they apparently used their own Windows Ultimate disk or files, which I didn't realize initially after taking my PC home. I knew I now had the Ultimate version of Windows, but I didn't know what was about to happen in a couple weeks.

So I proceeded to reinstall all my programs and other stuff to get the machine back to normal operating mode. And then after about a month or a couple of weeks, I started getting the same kinds of warnings, and black-color desktop background, etc etc, and warning me I needed to license that version. It was then that I realized what had occurred.

And unfortunately, as I found out, there's no way (or no reasonably easy way) to downgrade an existing Windows Ultimate install OS down to the lesser Windows 7 Home Premium version while keeping the Windows install inplace. In the end, I had to wipe the drive clean and start from scratch again using a fresh install using my own Windows 7 Home Premium install DVD purchased from Microsoft in the U.S.

A parallel story:

I had the main hard disk die in one of my desktop computers a few months back that had my own fully licensed U.S. version of Windows 7 Home Premium on it.

When I went to have my local ForetuneTown repair shop install and setup a new C: drive hard disk that I had purchased, even though I loaned them my original Windows 7 Home Premium install DVD to use (but not my Product Key Code), they apparently used their own Windows Ultimate disk or files, which I didn't realize initially after taking my PC home. I knew I now had the Ultimate version of Windows, but I didn't know what was about to happen in a couple weeks.

So I proceeded to reinstall all my programs and other stuff to get the machine back to normal operating mode. And then after about a month or a couple of weeks, I started getting the same kinds of warnings, and black-color desktop background, etc etc, and warning me I needed to license that version. It was then that I realized what had occurred.

And unfortunately, as I found out, there's no way (or no reasonably easy way) to downgrade an existing Windows Ultimate install OS down to the lesser Windows 7 Home Premium version while keeping the Windows install inplace. In the end, I had to wipe the drive clean and start from scratch again using a fresh install using my own Windows 7 Home Premium install DVD purchased from Microsoft in the U.S.

In many shops in Thailand, technicians would not understand why an original copy of an OS is preferable. Their copy can get the touch and feel of the original...

Thay have a standard disc with added programs, installed altogether.

• Like 2

Go to http://www.acer.co.th and see if you can find your model there. If you can then check the specs to see what OS comes with your laptop. Many cheaper laptops in Thailand such as Acer don't come with Windows installed, it's usually Linux or DOS. As others have suggested, chances are you have a genuine Thai copy of Windows... if so then purchasing and installing genuine Windows will save you a re-occurrence of similar problems in the future.

It is quite hard to desk with comments like this because it is rubbish.

Every Acer machine world wide is sold with an operating system. To say otherwise is based on having no knowledge.

If you need assistance, PM me and I will assist remotely if you wish.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Acer Thailand site has numerous examples of Acer laptops that come from the factory without Windows installed, many use a Linux operating system as I wrote above, here's just one example RRP 26,900 baht.

http://www.acer.co.th/ac/th/TH/content/model-datasheet/NX.RZ6ST.001

V3-471G-73614G75Makk

Linpus™ Linux® - Intel Core i7 (i7 - 3610QM, 2.30 GHz, 6 MB) - 35.6 cm (14") LED - 16:9 HD - Active Matrix TFT Colour LCD - CineCrystal - 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750 GB Serial ATA - DVD - Writer - Weight (Approximate) 2.30 kg - Maximum Battery Run Time 4.50 Hour

The cheaper Acer laptops you see in shops with Windows on the screen are often running pirated copies, and it's not just Acer, same applies to many other brands.

If you buy a $400 laptop in America then you expect to have genuine Windows on it but for the same price in Thailand then it's almost certainly not genuine (with the possible exception of Windows Starter on netbooks). You certainly shouldn't expect to get a genuine version of Ultimate installed on a cheap computer bought in Thailand. If you ask the seller if it's genuine Windows or not they will usually tell you, they don't bother lying because they can always sell you a more expensive genuine version if you aren't happy having pirated software on your computer...

Edited by kkerry
  • Like 1

In many shops in Thailand, technicians would not understand why an original copy of an OS is preferable. Their copy can get the touch and feel of the original...

Thay have a standard disc with added programs, installed altogether.

FWIW, my wife had a similar problem some time back with an originally sourced Thai Toshiba laptop... It was running Windows Ultimate, apparently the result of an install by one of the local Banana IT shops before I met her.

I did some updates to her laptop along the way, used and/or turned on Windows Update, and suddenly, I was again getting the black desktop warning and other warnings.... As best as I could tell, she didn't have any MS disks or have any understanding of what OS had been installed on her laptop by whom or when.

So we ended up taking to our same shop in FortuneTown to see what they could do. I didn't want to have to wipe and reinstall her laptop with a new version of Windows, since she already had everything she liked and wanted setup on the laptop. But I also wasn't about to purchase a retail license of Windows Ultimate for her little used laptop.

In the end, our repair shop (I know for one thing, and they said the main thing) turned off Windows Update and may have done some other stuff with her laptop, and in the end, the unlicensed warnings disappeared and everything was back to normal and fine, with her original version of Windows 7 Ultimate running and installed.

• Like 1