Bangkok Police Seize 'historic' Drugs Cache Worth 1.5 Billion Baht

webfact

What is interesting to me is the way certain drugs appeal to certain nations and not so much to others. For example in Asia methamphetamine is very popular, but in England for example people don't seem to really like the stuff, xtc, cocaine, heroin and ketamine are popular but not the dreaded methamphetamine. I can understand the attraction to methamphetamine in some Asian countries, like Japan for example where the pace of life is much faster, and it would make sense that a speedy type stimulant may be seen to help with the hectic pace, but Thailand with its less frantic pace would seem to fit something more like Opium or even Heroin by nature.

Any insight anyone?????

It lets the Thais see how the real world is.......briefly

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If these are "historic" drugs, maybe they have lost their efficacy with the passage of time ?

If this is an "historic" cache, why has it taken so long to find ?

whistling.gif

Edited by attento

Methamphetamine is not a narcotic drug. Stop using the word "narcotics" to refer to drugs in general, whether illegal or legal, as it makes you look stupid and/or ignorant. Narcotics are sleep-inducing and/or pain relieving drugs. The word comes from ancient greek for "benumb". There are many legal narcotics around, such as Hydrocodone and Oxycodone.

Call drugs "drugs", or illegal drugs "illegal drugs", or by their specific identifiable name, e.g. "methamphetamine".

We're not in ancient Greece.

In modern use, the term "narcotics" has been adopted to a sense of "any illegal drugs" since 1926. Perhaps best not to misquote etymology sites and leave out the last paragraph to suit your agenda, whatever that is.

reminds one of Lewis Carroll . . 'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.' ref: Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll

Edited by attento

I don't see it as major hair splitting and I don't think it makes me look stupid for pointing it out.

When it's a word that's been in use since 40 or 50 years before you were born yeah, it kinda does...

What's next, a revolt against the use of "your" instead of "thy"?

The relationship between "your" and "thy" are not analagous to "narcotics" and "illegal drugs". "narcotics" now has different definitions depending on who is using it, whereas "your" is unambiguous. "thy" is no longer used in modern day communication whereas the term "illegal drugs" is still widely used. I don't think it's so wrong or stupid to suggest to use correct technical terminology.

I think you and some others think it's silly for me to point out the incorrect usage of the word "narcotics" because you have been so conditioned into accepting the incorrect usage. Possibly the incorrect usage is the only form that you've encountered (e.g. from police and politicians via mainstream media). You'd never see the incorrect usage from scientists or in scientific writings, so if you don't read such things then I understand your perspective. If you talk about drugs with a pharmacist and refer to illegal drugs as "narcotics" then it would be more likely yourself who looks stupid and/or ignorant, not the pharmacist who corrects you.

No ,, I think the issues , laws and policing regarding drugs worldwide, need such serious assessment that it seems stupid to me to get hung up up some termiology . christ theres enough bits of American english that could wind me up if I let it . why does my shell chell always drom the u from colour , why the fuch do thet put so much emphesis on the 'a' in tomato.. and esspecially why do the say the word 'Erb' with no h like they think they've become french suddenly. It is clear drugs and liberties can not just be stamped out by force. the is a thrithing demand for all drugs everywhere,

Is it so hard to see that the more the law interferes with libberties and the more lies told abiut drugs with propoganda, nothing will change.

We need to embrase drugs , legalize them all... Educate the public on the dangers and benifits of each, How to use recponcibliy, and safely. Harder more addictive and dangerouse drugs being restricted by various forms of control making those less convienient. places that you can use etc health checks etc. and (Hate to say this ) higher taxes. Night clubs only allowed to let users in on drugs if they have nessessary forms of emergency care available. clean pure, drugs available at shops with doses clearly shown.

Basically take the pushers out the system and give better eduction, control. we might be takling a step in the right dirrection.

I don't see it as major hair splitting and I don't think it makes me look stupid for pointing it out.

When it's a word that's been in use since 40 or 50 years before you were born yeah, it kinda does...

What's next, a revolt against the use of "your" instead of "thy"?

The relationship between "your" and "thy" are not analagous to "narcotics" and "illegal drugs". "narcotics" now has different definitions depending on who is using it, whereas "your" is unambiguous. "thy" is no longer used in modern day communication whereas the term "illegal drugs" is still widely used. I don't think it's so wrong or stupid to suggest to use correct technical terminology.

I think you and some others think it's silly for me to point out the incorrect usage of the word "narcotics" because you have been so conditioned into accepting the incorrect usage. Possibly the incorrect usage is the only form that you've encountered (e.g. from police and politicians via mainstream media). You'd never see the incorrect usage from scientists or in scientific writings, so if you don't read such things then I understand your perspective. If you talk about drugs with a pharmacist and refer to illegal drugs as "narcotics" then it would be more likely yourself who looks stupid and/or ignorant, not the pharmacist who corrects you.

No ,, I think the issues , laws and policing regarding drugs worldwide, need such serious assessment that it seems stupid to me to get hung up up some termiology . christ theres enough bits of American english that could wind me up if I let it . why does my shell chell always drom the u from colour , why the fuch do thet put so much emphesis on the 'a' in tomato.. and esspecially why do the say the word 'Erb' with no h like they think they've become french suddenly. It is clear drugs and liberties can not just be stamped out by force. the is a thrithing demand for all drugs everywhere,

Is it so hard to see that the more the law interferes with libberties and the more lies told abiut drugs with propoganda, nothing will change.

We need to embrase drugs , legalize them all... Educate the public on the dangers and benifits of each, How to use recponcibliy, and safely. Harder more addictive and dangerouse drugs being restricted by various forms of control making those less convienient. places that you can use etc health checks etc. and (Hate to say this ) higher taxes. Night clubs only allowed to let users in on drugs if they have nessessary forms of emergency care available. clean pure, drugs available at shops with doses clearly shown.

Basically take the pushers out the system and give better eduction, control. we might be takling a step in the right dirrection.

if you can work out all those typo's 'shell chell' should equal 'spell check' .

• Like 1

Methamphetamine is not a narcotic drug. Stop using the word "narcotics" to refer to drugs in general, whether illegal or legal, as it makes you look stupid and/or ignorant. Narcotics are sleep-inducing and/or pain relieving drugs. The word comes from ancient greek for "benumb". There are many legal narcotics around, such as Hydrocodone and Oxycodone.

Call drugs "drugs", or illegal drugs "illegal drugs", or by their specific identifiable name, e.g. "methamphetamine".

Go back to bed and climb out at the other side