Travelling To Uk On Visitors Visa With A One Way Ticket

I have done a search of the forum and found a similar thread but it was about someones mother in law and there wasn't really a clear out come. So i am starting a new one.

Hopefully we will be getting my wifes visitors visa in the next couple of weeks and will be leaving soon after for the UK.

We are unsure of exactly how long we will stay and I only want to buy a one way ticket initially. I have read that some people have travelled with no problems on a single but others have encountered problems.

Is there anything official on the internet stating that someone is perfectly within their rights to enter on a one way ticket. That i could print out and take with me as proof if we encounter problems?

Myself and 2 kids all have UK passports so no problems there. We will all be travelling together.

I am aware that some airlines offer flexible returns but i am not really interested in this option ( unless i have no choice). I would rather be able to just book a flight as and when i want, and fly with whichever airline i want.

I also read that it is possible providing my wife can prove she has the financial means to purchase a return ticket. Can i just print out a bank statement showing that i have x amount in the bank?

Any advice is appreciated

Cheers

It's perfectly legal to do what you suggest but do expect to be questioned at check in and possibly at the UK Border.

I don't think I would be printing the UKBA guidelines to show, I assume, to the the IO at the border, they may very well take offence.

It would be unusual to be asked, though my partner was asked for her tickets out of the UK when we were travelling from Paris a few years ago.

Can't answer the question specifically as when I entered the UK with my wife she wasn't asked a single question about flights, money or anything else for that matter. I suspect as she'll be with you there won't be any issue. And don't forget, she can enter with you through the UK/EU lane, no need to queue up with all the other undesirables.

Legally she doesn't have to have a return ticket. But, she ( or you) must be able to show that she has the means to leave the UK, whether by air or whatever.

You might have a problem when she checks in at Bangkok, depending on what airline you are using. Airlines like to see return tickets because, if she is refused entry to UK, then she can use her return ticket to come back, and there is no further cost to the airline for her travel. So, depending which airline, whether the flight is direct or a transit flight ( so you could have this problem half-way there), the airline might make your wife sign a disclaimer that, if refused entry to the Uk, she will pay for own return ticket to Thailand.

Can't answer the question specifically as when I entered the UK with my wife she wasn't asked a single question about flights, money or anything else for that matter. I suspect as she'll be with you there won't be any issue. And don't forget, she can enter with you through the UK/EU lane, no need to queue up with all the other undesirables.

Why do you think the OPs wife and those not entitled to use the UK/EU lane are "undesirables" ?

• Like 2

My TGF came over with me three weeks ago on a single ticket on Jet Airways. At Delhi I was advised this will be a problem when you land at LHR. I said if need be I will buy a ticket online if its challenged.

At LHR I went through EU and left my GF in the non EU q. When checking me I said to the UKBA guy I might have caused a problem in not getting a return ticket for my TGF.

He looked at me and said does she have a visa. I said yes, he then its no problem. Go and find her and I will land her.

It was too busy to find her so I left it but thanked him. She got to her UKBA guy and I was waiting. He did ask her why no return ticket and she told him I was waiting for her and waved me over. He asked me and I said bkk to lhr return was silly money so I bought a single. And it was cheaper to do that.

He asked when she intended to leave and I said all being well two weeks before the visa expires. He landed her. No problem.

This was our first visa application, so very pleased we got it right.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by vulcan903

Can't answer the question specifically as when I entered the UK with my wife she wasn't asked a single question about flights, money or anything else for that matter. I suspect as she'll be with you there won't be any issue. And don't forget, she can enter with you through the UK/EU lane, no need to queue up with all the "the other undesirables" ?

Do you realize that you also become one of those "undesirables" as viewed by the locals when you queue up to enter Thailand ?

Can't answer the question specifically as when I entered the UK with my wife she wasn't asked a single question about flights, money or anything else for that matter. I suspect as she'll be with you there won't be any issue. And don't forget, she can enter with you through the UK/EU lane, no need to queue up with all the "the other undesirables" ?

Do you realize that you also become one of those "undesirables" as viewed by the locals when you queue up to enter Thailand ?

Absolutely!

I will be trying to the same thing in the next week . I will let you know how it goes . The UKBA website is pretty clear about it , but lots of people say they have problems with the airlines . maybe a case for naming and shaming the ones who are the worst offenders .

It musty be against some law to force people to buy returns ,if the country they are landing in dont specify you need to .

Its bull!!!! anyway , as if the fact that you have a return ticket proofes anything ! I have read all about the fines and charges imposed on airlines by governments for them landing people without the correct documents ,,,,Fair enough and more of it as far as i am concerned ,If its proofed they didn't do enough to check the Traveller , But for the Airline to take a blanket approach is Wrong , I will see ......

it was my post you read about the mother in law, and i can tell you she came on a single ticket but luckily we had bought a direct return for october, she was questioned at bangkok and was asked to produce the return ticket, at heathrow there was no questions asked?

Digressing slightly, I assume by definition that a one-way ticket wouldn't be an issue for a Thai national landing in the UK with a settlement visa? Or is the airline still likely to ask questions in BKK?

And on the subject of the UK/EU queue at UK immigration, are we saying a Thai national can use if with his/her British family but not if solo?

Entering with a settlement visa means there is no intention to leave, or requirement to, so a one way ticket is not an issue.

If a non EU national is travelling on their own they have to use the non EU queue.

If entering with their EU national partner they may be allowed to use the EU queue; but it's best to ask first.

Regarding booking a single from Bangkok to the UK for a Thai National.

On my last trip on Emirates I asked when I was checking in and was directed to the Supervisor who in turn advised me that their policy was dependent on the type of Visa.

With regards to a Visitors Visa, he said proof of a return ticket would have to be shown or boarding would be refused.

I also asked Immigration at Birmingham, and was told that they would not see it as a problem entering on a single, but that was the word of one officer - not too sure what the official policy is.

For that reason I have now booked a single to UK and also have booked round trips originating from the UK. It does take a bit of planning, but allows us to make substantial savings.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Absolutely!
What locals? Only foreigners enter Thailand I've rarely seen more than 3 Thais "lining up" at the Thai line at passport control.

If you can get on the plane, likely no further questions will be asked upon arrival in the UK. As a visitor, I would have a return ticket booked just in case at least to satisfy the airline officials at check-in. A credit card may be an acceptable substitute, but I wouldn't push it as a local leaving Thailand for overseas the officials are likely to be most strict towards Thais. When a foreigner travels to Thailand from a western country it's the same thing, usually the airlines want to see an onward or return ticket although upon arriving in Thailand nobody is ever questioned.

I also asked Immigration at Birmingham, and was told that they would not see it as a problem entering on a single, but that was the word of one officer - not too sure what the official policy is.

Para 41(vii) of the Immigration Rules simply says that one of the requirements for a visitor to the UK is that s/he "can meet the cost of the return or onward journey."

An immigration officer can ask a visitor seeking entry to show that they have return or onward ticket or the means with which to purchase one. If the visitor cannot show one of these then the IO could refuse entry.

However, unless the IO has reasons to doubt that the person is a genuine visitor, this is unlikely to happen.

Tomtomtom69, we have obviously never been entering Thailand at the same time; I have always seen long queues at the Thai desk; indeed, on one occasion I got through via the foreigner line quicker than my wife and daughter did via the Thai line!

The official ruling for a foreigner entering Thailand by air with a visa waiver is that they must have a return or onward ticket valid within the next 30 days. But, like you, no one at Thai immigration has ever asked to see one.

Maybe it's because they know that due to the international treaty sanctions against airlines who knowingly carry a passenger who will be refused entry at their destination that the airline would not have carried me without one?

My mother-in-law flew last year on Emirates, on a one-way ticket. But she did have a 5 year visit visa.

She was also not travelling on her own, as she was flying with my dual-national daughter, and it wasn't her first trip to the UK.

As far as immigration is concerned, she had a visa, so is allowed to enter (unless they find out something that would cause them to change their mind, but the lack of a plane ticket generally isn't one of those things...)

Regarding booking a single from Bangkok to the UK for a Thai National. On my last trip on Emirates I asked when I was checking in and was directed to the Supervisor who in turn advised me that their policy was dependent on the type of Visa.

My mother-in-law flew last year on Emirates, on a one-way ticket. But she did have a 5 year visit visa. She was also not travelling on her own, as she was flying with my dual-national daughter, and it wasn't her first trip to the UK.

On a related note, I need to buy a one-way ticket for my wife (settlement visa) from BKK to UK (most likely on Emirates as above) and have conflicting stories about how I can pay for it seeing as she's travelling alone. I wanted to buy a ticket last year for my mother who was travelling alone UK to BKK and back, but was told by Emirates that I could not use my credit card if I was not travelling with her. I ended up taking her card details and booking it for her myself through the Emirates website.

My wife doesn't own a credit card, so I'd need to send cash if that's the case. Yet I just spoke with a friend who has paid twice for his girlfriend to fly Emirates on her own to the UK, by both debit and credit card. No questions asked at all. He did buy through a UK travel agent though if that makes a difference.

I'll contact both Emirates and this travel agent but wondering if anyone can shed any light. Thanks.

Just further to my post above, I went through the motions of booking a flight departing BKK on the Emirates website and I was unable to book and pay for someone else. Their FAQs explain this as below but I just can't see someone being asked. Would check-in staff even have access to info as to how someone paid?:

Q. Can I pay for an online booking with my credit card if I am not travelling myself?

A. This will depend on the country of departure of the ticket.

On the Enter billing information page where the credit card details are entered, if the "Cardholder name" can be typed in, you would be able to pay for the booking even if you are not travelling. If the "Cardholder name" appears in a drop-down menu and cannot be changed, you would unfortunately not be able to pay for the booking unless you are travelling.

In some countries, for security reasons, the holder of the credit card used to book a ticket or group of tickets must be one of the travellers on that itinerary, and will be required to show the actual credit card at the airport check-in counter prior to receiving boarding passes.

@TCA

Most airlines have this restriction; I think it's more about the airline losing money when a third party uses a credit card fraudulently.

Yes, check in staff do have access to the payment details and will often ask for sight of the card, I have been frequently asked for the card used to make the booking, and I'm aware of people who have been denied boarding or had to purchase a new ticket.

There are a couple of ways round this, you can purchase a ticket from a travel agent in the UK or Thailand, your wife will probably still get an e-ticket, the travel agent obviously carries the risk and the check in staff will see that the agent was paid for the flight so will not ask for sight of the card. Some airlines used to allow you to go into an office and show the card, Thai used to allow this and they used to get you to sign an authorisation, I don't know if it's still the case, maybe do as you have suggested and ring some of them in the UK.

Last of all congratulations on the visa, I know you put a lot of work into it and are now reaping the rewards. Also thanks for your thanks, it means a lot, it's surprising how many people get a lot of free advice and simply walk away when the job is done. A lot of people give a lot of meaningful advice for free, especially 7by7 and Tony M, and a quick thank you is always appreciated.

I wish you both every happiness and success in the future.

• Like 2

Thanks oldgit. Looks like a UK travel agent is my best bet. Seemed to work fine for my friend. I went through the motions of a booking with Opodo online (Emirates flight) and there is facility to pay on behalf of someone else if not travelling. Not sure I trust this though and would rather have a travel agent as the payer just to make sure.

Thanks for the congrats. And thanks for the thanks for my thanks......I'll still be lurking in this forum for a while yet and adding any assistance where I can to anyone going through the application process.

Opodo are fine, they are massive organisation and were initially set up by a consortium of major airlines.

I tried a few others online too and not all the same. That confuses me. I'd have expected some consistency. Emirates obviously protect themselves by enforcing this rule through their own website but it seems strange that other booking agents allow this but some don't.

Do you think Opodo online is a safer bet than say a local travel agent?

Spoke to a local travel agent who "often book tickets for relatives/friends travelling alone using someone else's card". They "take the card payment and issue the tickets on a different type of system, never showing anyone's card details in the booking/ticket. The airlines never know how a client has paid when a travel agent issues a ticket so there will not be a problem at all".

So sounds like a travel agent, online or otherwise, would be OK.

OK, back to topic!

Edited by TCA

I arrived in the UK with my Thai wife and 2 kids last week , one child has a Thai Passport and one a British+Thai I am British We flew with emirates on one way tickets The wife and Child where on Visitor visas . No questions asked at check in In Bangkok , and nothing at UK Border control. I was well prepared to try to argue my case with the Airline if i got questioned I had the T & C's with me that don't state its a requirement anywhere . only that you must abide by the visa requirements for the country of destination or transit .and that you are liable if you don't.

But Emirates where Great , we where treated very well all the way , Maybe a cute baby helped ,Who Knows ,but we where just relieved not to have had any problems , I was ready for what i thought would have been the worst case of having to pay for returns at the airport or at UKBA .

It would be interesting to here how other people have found different airlines .

Also I was asked for the Credit card at check in in Bangkok By the Emirates staff .But last year i paid for a flight with Ethihad and they allowed me to email a copy of credit card and a signed statement saying it was to be used to pay for the flights for my wife , dates and flight etc . not sure if Ethihad still do this or not ?

Good luck to the OP , I hope all goes well , please keep us all informed .

Just a quick update,

Picked up the wifes passport today complete with visa.

Decided against my original plan of booking a one way ticket, so booked direct flights with BA.

Originally I didn't like BA as there world traveller ticket will not allow you to change the tickets in any way. But i found an option that for an extra 2500 per traveller you have full flexibility for 6 months.

Full price for 2 adults 1 child and 1 infant was 115000, if i hadn't added the flexibility it would have been 105000.

I was quite pleased with this flight, leaving @ 0020 tonight.

Thanks for all the advice

• 1 month later...

Just an update with regards to booking a single journey from Bangkok to UK.

Previously, I had called Emirates asking for clarity with regarding a Thai National being refused boarding with a single ticket. They were very helpful and emailed both Bangkok and Dubai offices for a definitive answer.

The answer from Bangkok, was that it was policy to refuse boarding without a return journey booked. The Dubai office also indicated this may be a problem, but weren't too clear. I had already booked a single out from Bangkok and also a return ticket originating from Birmingham just to cover all bases.

Arriving at check-in I had all tickets ready to confirm our intentions. However, at no point were we asked to show proof of a return journey either at Bangkok, Dubai or indeed Immigration at Birmingham Airport. In fact it was all very easy and the trip was very smooth.

To conclude, I still am none the wiser what is required...that is unless anyone knows any different?