English Manual Not Available For A Fortuner In Thailand, According The Dealer..

Bought a Fortuner 6 weeks ago and ordered and paid for a English manual, about 300 baht.

They called us last week and said, sorry dont have a English manual for a Fortuner...

As i see many foreigners driving around a Fortuner as well around Thailand there should be a English manual or is it really not available uphere?

Already emailed the head office of Toyota in Thailand but never got a reply, will try to call them as well soon.

Any suggestions are all welcome :)

Hello, Juliusk -

Find it surprising you had to pay for the manual, after just shelling out for a new Fortuner - I would get my money back (for the manual).

I got English manuals for my last two cars by phoning the company's Head office in Thailand. They asked me to quote certain codes in the warranty manual, and within a week they were delivered, free of charge - with a 'thankyou', which is exactly how it should be - customer service, I think they used to call it..

Even though I have hardly ever turned to them for reference - the manuals certainly helped to explain some of the functionality of the trucks - also, listed all the things that should be inspected / changed at certain service intervals, which I wouldn't have had a clue about otherwise.

I wouldn't deal with the dealers in this instance - I seem to remember asking mine for the same, and they weren't proactive atall - infact on my first motor, they said the manual 'wasn't available', straight off the bat, without even checking - easier than taking their thumb out of their arse and doing something for their paying customers (once they've paid).

These are World wide companies, and can get you the manual in many languages, just for the asking - they shouldn't be charging you - it's all a tax write off for these guys at the end of the day.

Phone the Head office directly for immediate action - I would be surprised if they try and fob you off with bullshit - if they do try, be firm - your motor is a fair chunk of change - the amount of times I've emailed Big Companies, and never received a reply...

Good luck.

These are World wide companies, and can get you the manual in many languages, just for the asking

The problem might be because the Fortuner isn't sold in any country where English is the primary language - it's an 'emerging markets' only product.

You should be able to order it from ware you got the car they are available. Phone Toyota BKK 023861000. hope this help's.

Thanks, will give them a call on monday because i think there is a chance that they are closed today because of the Buddha holiday today.

Hello, Juliusk -

Find it surprising you had to pay for the manual, after just shelling out for a new Fortuner - I would get my money back (for the manual).

I got English manuals for my last two cars by phoning the company's Head office in Thailand. They asked me to quote certain codes in the warranty manual, and within a week they were delivered, free of charge - with a 'thankyou', which is exactly how it should be - customer service, I think they used to call it..

Even though I have hardly ever turned to them for reference - the manuals certainly helped to explain some of the functionality of the trucks - also, listed all the things that should be inspected / changed at certain service intervals, which I wouldn't have had a clue about otherwise.

I wouldn't deal with the dealers in this instance - I seem to remember asking mine for the same, and they weren't proactive atall - infact on my first motor, they said the manual 'wasn't available', straight off the bat, without even checking - easier than taking their thumb out of their arse and doing something for their paying customers (once they've paid).

These are World wide companies, and can get you the manual in many languages, just for the asking - they shouldn't be charging you - it's all a tax write off for these guys at the end of the day.

Phone the Head office directly for immediate action - I would be surprised if they try and fob you off with bullshit - if they do try, be firm - your motor is a fair chunk of change - the amount of times I've emailed Big Companies, and never received a reply...

Good luck.

I was actually quite satisfied about their service, they even said, oh sorry mister we need to order this manual, it will cost 300 baht and will take some time. But then they called the missus and said, sorry it doesnt exist at all and we can get the 300 baht back hehe

You should be able to order it from ware you got the car they are available. Phone Toyota BKK 023861000. hope this help's.

Thanks, will give them a call on monday because i think there is a chance that they are closed today because of the Buddha holiday today.

>>>Hello, Juliusk -

Good luck.

I was actually quite satisfied about their service, they even said, oh sorry mister we need to order this manual, it will cost 300 baht and will take some time. But then they called the missus and said, sorry it doesnt exist at all and we can get the 300 baht back hehe

I paid 500bt took about 4 week's to arrive very handy to have.

If they had shown one to Ace O P he might have learnt how to drive the one he hired then again not as he more than likely cant read English it's Fortuners

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

If there is anything you want to know before you get the book just ask not a problem to send reply. But other than the first service at 1000 Km and the first main one at 10,000 all the rest is strate forward. Tip have a go at the spare wheel bit not as easy as it seem's make's life easy if you a problem the first time in the dark. Best of luck enjoy. Is it an auto if it is they have 6 gear's not the 4 if set in drive if you put the stick in 3 it will change into a gear halfway between 2/3 giving more reves so more power make thing's easy when going past thing's dont panic as it will change back to 3 full time when it get's to fast for the 2/3 set up .

N/B Not in the book.

Edited by fredob43

Though it's all written above, I too had that experience.

They originally said they would get one, but then on collection of my [new] Mazda, the dealer said the English version wasn't available in Thailand.

The GF then called HQ. She was told they will get back to her...in passing one day, she popped-in and reminded them of the [telephone] request. Three days later we had it.

Don't forget (as I clearly am guilty of on occassion), This Is Tryland!

Good luck

My suggestion would be don't give up. I kept bothering Honda for a few weeks about a manual, and they finally tracked one down at a dealership in another province.

Additional advice to those considering a new car: when you put down your deposit, make it clear that you won't accept the car/pay the rest until you get an English manual.

When I bought my new 2009 Fortuner the dealer first said there was no English manual in Thailand...it would have to be ordered, but I kept saying sure there was. On the day I picked up the new For tuner I was provided both English and Thai manuals...no extra charge.

Sent from my tablet

I will give them a call on monday and will keep you guys posted inhere if i succeeded or not at the 1st attempt at the HQ.

If there is anything you want to know before you get the book just ask not a problem to send reply. But other than the first service at 1000 Km and the first main one at 10,000 all the rest is strate forward. Tip have a go at the spare wheel bit not as easy as it seem's make's life easy if you a problem the first time in the dark. Best of luck enjoy. Is it an auto if it is they have 6 gear's not the 4 if set in drive if you put the stick in 3 it will change into a gear halfway between 2/3 giving more reves so more power make thing's easy when going past thing's dont panic as it will change back to 3 full time when it get's to fast for the 2/3 set up .

N/B Not in the book.

I am not sure if i am getting this tip, i should have a go at the spare wheel, not really being a mechanic but think i can do this. I do have a automatic car yes, bought the 2013 model but what do you mean put the stick in 3rd option, Will have a look at it later today :)

Definitely get an English manual...knowing/understanding all the controls and features on the vehicle is very important...it's much more than just knowing how the gear shift works. Preaching to the choir I know. Toyota sells/exports Fortuners to other parts of the world and you can be guaranteed they are not providing a Thai manual (the Thai language doesn't seem to get used much outside Thailand's borders...little universe)...Toyota does have an English manual for the Fortuner...heck, on a worldwide basis I expect more Fotuners are sold outside of Thailand than within.

I will give them a call on monday and will keep you guys posted inhere if i succeeded or not at the 1st attempt at the HQ.

N/B Not in the book.

I am not sure if i am getting this tip, i should have a go at the spare wheel, not really being a mechanic but think i can do this. I do have a automatic car yes, bought the 2013 model but what do you mean put the stick in 3rd option, Will have a look at it later today smile.png

Spare wheel I have had my fortuner for over 3 year's and only last week did I try to wind down the spare wheel it was not as strait forward as first seemed due to the double wind down bar and where it has to fix into. I just suggested that you have a go once because if you have a problem at night you would be ok with the set up.

re gearbox If you are in drive at say 85kmp and want to go past thing's a bit rapid just by puttin your foot down it will change into 3rd but if you move the stick into the 3rd position it will not go into 3rd but a gear halfway between 2/3rd giving you more power. If you drive at about say 70kph in D/drive it will be in 3rd move the stick into the 3 a little movement to the right and look at the rev counter you will notice that the reve's will go up by using this you will be able to go passed peep's much quicked than if you use the normal kick down once it get's to about 90kmp ??? it will change back into 3rd normal then if you put the stick into D it will go back to normal drive only handy if you want to get passed thing's quick. make's a big difference. Hope this is a bit more clear. Give the 70kmp in D bit a go and you'll see what I mean.

N/B Toyota recomend that if you are going up hill's on a bendy road in D to save the gearbox from changing from 4th to 3rd and back all the time you engage 3rd for most of the trip help's it from over heating.

So if you drive a Fortuna you need a Scientist with you to Change Gear.!! A PJS, is so much easier.Put Down Right Foot and it Goes.cheesy.gif .

You don't need to be a scientist you just need half a brain cell, alas it seem's to be what some peep's on this forum seem to lack.

What some seem to lack is a Sense of Humour. You would have enjoyed my old Porce 911 with a Sportmatic Box.To go forward in full Auto,you put it into 4Th gear. For Manual you just released the throttle and went through the gears. My Wife regarded it as stupid. Why not just just have D and R..? Never realy managed a Sensible reply to her question.w00t.gif .coffee1.gif

These are World wide companies, and can get you the manual in many languages, just for the asking

The problem might be because the Fortuner isn't sold in any country where English is the primary language - it's an 'emerging markets' only product.

South Africa? They have Fortuners and English as well as a bunch of other languages.

N/B Not in the book.

New Fortuner Auto's have 5 forward ratios, the old one had 4. Like many auto's they drive with the torque converter unlocked or locked. The Torque converter will lock up as the car accelerates when the engine revs and throttle pressure are correct. This can seem like a gear change because revs will drop a little. The reverse sequence happens if climbing a hill or slowing. With the 4 speed, position 3 allows the first 3 ratios and blocks 4 gear, like the old over drive button on older models.

There is no need of any manual. It's quite a simple car and easy to operate. With a little bit of commonsenses can use any car without ownermanuals.

Yep, the Fortuner is straight forward like any other Toyota but a manual is still nice to have.

sure they have English manuals for Fortuners and all other Toyota models, as our company prints them. We also translates the manuals from English to Thai, Spanish, French and Arabic.

The problem is that some dealers don't know they exist and don't want to put any effort in looking it up.

Owner Manuals should be free and should never be paid for. If they make you pay, please call up HQ because what they are doing is not according to the Toyota way of working and doing business.

• Like 1

See if the Fortuna just has another name in other countries. The same car might be marketed under a number of names because the marketing people named them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

See if the Fortuna just has another name in other countries. The same car might be marketed under a number of names because the marketing people named them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's called the SW4 in South America, and the Fortuner in Asia.

sure they have English manuals for Fortuners and all other Toyota models, as our company prints them. We also translates the manuals from English to Thai, Spanish, French and Arabic.

The problem is that some dealers don't know they exist and don't want to put any effort in looking it up.

Owner Manuals should be free and should never be paid for. If they make you pay, please call up HQ because what they are doing is not according to the Toyota way of working and doing business.

Good input