Why My Taxi Driver Behaved That Way?

Renoir

A funny taxi story. I got a taxi from the airport to Jatujak minibus stop a few days ago. Not a regular taxi but a 'moonlighter' I don't usually do that but I was tired and the fare was reasonable. Old car but it went like a rocket.I was glad to be in the back - maybe a a better survival chance in an accident. Only 30 minutes he told me. Somewhere near the destination the car just stopped. No worries he said. He played with the fuel supply and it went, sort of. Then he changed directions and just made it into a petrol station. 'Can I have the fare now so I can put petrol in it ? ' Sure. A flock of taxi drivers now gathered to help the guy get the car started. Off we go, kind of. After numerous short hops it stops again. Then he asks me to squeeze the air supply while he tries to start it. This is on the side of the tollway. By now he is looking a touch like Basil Fawlty - very stressed. Its ok I say I'm not in a hurry."Very sorry, very sorry". Off we go. Finally the car has a melt down but fortunately we stop in the street of minivans, - but quite a walk to mine. Now 1 hour later. ' Basil' is beside himself with apologies as I leave and arrive for the minivan with 30 minutes to spare. So all's well that ends well. But maybe next time I'll get a conventional taxi.

• Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Answer is yes . Welcome to the taxi scum of bangkok renoir.Did you get the drivers number and name from inside taxi? Then you can get the phone number to report the driver and wait while nothing happens. Sent from my GT-S7500L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How do you know?

It is possible that the taxi driver was trying to explain his reason for wanting or needing to stop prior to the OP`s hotel destination, but due to the problems of language communication, perhaps the OP did not fully understand the intentions of the taxi driver? Which I would guess is more likely the case.

Absolute rubbish. They may have seat belts, but all of them hide the buckles under the seats so that you cannot fasten your seat belt. This is a fact.

Exactly why would any Taxi driver, let alone all of them, deliberately hide the seat-belt buckles under the seats?

Is this some taxi-driver code of honor to best ensure that there are not surviving witnesses after a crash?

Is it to ensure that passengers have something to moan about?

Or is it just your paranoia?

Surely it is the lazy car cleaners that tip the seat forward while cleaning/looking for dropped loose change, that then fail to put the buckles back.

No reason to speculate why the buckles are hidden. Could even be passengers who push them away as they could be a bit uncomfortable if you don't use them.

The fact is that at least 75% of the taxis with rear seat belts have the buckles hidden.

I got into it with my driver on my last trip to BKK. Went through the usual taxi stand, got the paper and was told it would be the fare + 50b (I think the 50b is new, but they have a sign now). So the idiot taxi driver STILL refused to use the meter. I had to get out, get my bags out, it caused a huge stink. Then he decided OK, but I wouldn't go with him at that point so he flipped and went Thai on me, screaming like a child and literally wanting to fight me. He actually rushed me and to my surprise another taxi driver tripped him and he fell on his face where a few other Thais grabbed him and dealt with him. I was quickly taken to another taxi and off I went without hassle.

For the life of me I don't understand these clowns. The idiot was in que at the airport like he has done probably 500 times, and decides to pull a fast one for no reason at all. The sad part is, he won't lose his job or his ability to pick up at the airport. These people are loose cannons. You should be legally allowed to cripple people like this if they decide to turn violent.

Edit: Airport was Don Mueang.

Edited by PoodMaiDai