A Change In Procedure

I have lived in Thailand at the same address for virtually six years. During those six years, at the end of every month a little EGAT man came around and read our electricity meter. Three or four days later another little EGAT man came to the gate, presented the bill and collected the money. Only once did we fail to pay at the gate as we were away. He left the bill in the mailbox and we paid at the office.

About four months ago, a little white box appeared attached to the fence. When the little EGAT man came to collect the money I asked him what it was for and I assumed he said it was to deposit the bill if we were not in. I then proceeded to forget about it.

Last month, around the 29th, I noticed that there was a bill in the little white box, which I put in the truck intending to pay at the office the next day. That evening when we returned to the house, we found that we had no electric. Enquiries to the neighbours ascertained that we had actually been cut off. FG read the bill and realised that the reading had been taken on 16th of the month and we were due to pay (at the office) by the 23rd. She then went storming off to the EGAT emergency office (18:30) where she found over 50 other people queuing to pay their bills. When asked why they had changed the reading date and the method of paying without even informing us she was met with the usual Thai “mai roo” shrug.

However, it didn’t end there. In order to avoid a similar occurrence in the future we made arrangements with the bank to pay by direct debit. The nice lady in the EGAT office explained that this couldn’t be put into effect immediately as, because we were taking this route, the readings would be taken at the end of the month. We would therefore have to pay cash for the units used up to the end of this month and then by direct debit from then on.

And I wonder why I have so many headaches. :o

"Enquiries to the neighbours ascertained that we had actually been cut off."

Nothing in your house that is powered by electricity works, and you still had to rely on your neigbors to tell you that the electricity had been turned off. I guess that the 6 years you spent in high school went to good use.

Nothing in your house that is powered by electricity works, and you still had to rely on your neigbors to tell you that the electricity had been turned off. I guess that the 6 years you spent in high school went to good use.

Maybe he was checking with the neighbours to see if everyones power was out, indicating a power cut !

Who looks stupid now backflip ?? :o

totster :D

Direct debit probably is the best option. What i did was to simply pay an extra 5k off my first bill so that i am in credit . If i miss the payment date at least the 5k covers the bill and i dont get cut off............also done the same with phone and water (but lesser amounts)........not the best solution but it works.

Maybe he was checking with the neighbours to see if everyones power was out, indicating a power cut !

Who looks stupid now backflip ?? :o

totster :D

Of course we were. After 6 years in Thailand and the number of power cuts we have had, we always check with the neighbours, particularly if nightfall hasn't yet arrived. And at least my high school taught me how to spell "neighbours" correctly.