Thai Work Permit - What Are The Benefits?

For those who say there are no benefits from holding a work permit I must say I very much differ.

1. You can open a trading account with a broker and certainly make money if you know how to do it, that is certainly legal. I trade myself so my fellow investors/traders can benefit too.

2. You can send your kids to a Thai public school. Not the best option but cheap. I went to a public cheap school myself and I'm doing ok. If someone has kids and needs to educate them but does not have a lot of money for private or international schools then this is certainly a great benefit.

3. You can apply for a visa to other countries which is often not possible for holders of some passports if they do not have a work permit. Filipinos. Indians, Iranians, Chinese etc. Remember that not all foreigners in Thailand come from developed countries and they are not treated the same by foreign embassies.

4. It is easier to send money out of the country if you needed to do that. Not that much of a benefit but try to send more money out through a bank without a work permit, not an easy thing to do.

5. Your spouse can obtain a non - O visa and stay with you. Which is a great benefit as many people are married.

6. You can earn money legally, you cannot do that on an ED visa.

7. Improved status of stay in the kingdom. Being a tourist or a student may not be possible forever but being employed with a work permit is.

8. You can get post paid phone.

Can you guys help me with some other reasons? I cannot think of others right now but I am sure there would be some more.

It is a bit like the argument of the people who say there are no or very little benefits from having a Thai PR. I am a Thai resident and I treasure it, for me it has great value. For others it maybe be useless. It all depends on your future plans for Thailand.

Should one day something happen to an ED visa system, which is very much possible with most small "schools" "selling" visas and abusing the system. With retirement visas, rumours of increasing retirement age to 55 are surfacing again, then you might be happy to benefit from being a part of the Walen school.

One thing is sure about the future in this world. It is uncertain!

• Like 2

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again....

Why start another thread when this is an ongoing discussion on your other thread ??

"which is very much possible with most small "schools" "selling" visas and abusing the system."

Now you are selling work permits, sound familiar ??

• Like 2

You have omitted one of the most important benefits: enrollment in the Thai Social Security system, which not only provides full health care cioverage at a very low price but which you can remain in for life even after you stop working provided you keep up the small payments.

in fact, people sometimes get a WP and job just to get into that system, especially if they have pre-existing conditions which make it hard or impossible to get private insurance.

• Like 2

I don't understand the point of this thread.

If you're working in Thailand, the benefit of having a work permit is not getting fined/deported/imprisoned.

I suspect its advertising a service, and geting users to add aditional benefits of having a work permit

• Like 1

You have omitted one of the most important benefits: enrollment in the Thai Social Security system, which not only provides full health care cioverage at a very low price but which you can remain in for life even after you stop working provided you keep up the small payments.

in fact, people sometimes get a WP and job just to get into that system, especially if they have pre-existing conditions which make it hard or impossible to get private insurance.

Yes, that's a very good one. Thai social security, also very useful if you happen to have an accident. Thanks Sheryl for contributing.

If you're working in Thailand, the benefit of having a work permit is not getting fined/deported/imprisoned.

I suspect its advertising a service, and geting users to add aditional benefits of having a work permit

I am not advertising any service now, this post is a result of multiple posts in another thread stating that there are no benefits to holders of work permits and ED visa is just as good if not better with which I strongly disagree.

I am not advertising any service now, this post is a result of multiple posts in another thread stating that there are no benefits to holders of work permits and ED visa is just as good if not better with which I strongly disagree.

Errrm no, the other thread people are saying the work permit they are "purchasing" from you is useless, not work permits in general which is how you are attempting to twist it.

Spoonman, so please list which of those 9 benefits are not available from Walen? Can you name one? Good try anyway but I am not twisting anything here. It is a genuine offer.

To be honest I don't really care about you work permit or any of it benefits as mine is a real work permit that I obtained working for a real company (is a visa mill (yours) a real company ?).

If your offer was as genuine as you claim why are you avoiding work permit and employment specific questions in your advertisement thread?

Maybe there is a slight of hand to this thread BUT, having lots of people put WP perks on a page is good news.

If you want to stay here in Thailand then someone is offering a service for that also.

Win Win in my humble opinion.

Anyway it's Friday, relax.

:D

• Like 1

If you have a WP you can apply for a Thai credit card with all the benefits that follows.

And you can apply for loans with low interests.

Work permits can be a very large benefit to an employee on a Non B visa and to the employer if everthing is happy, happy, joy,joy. However, their is the darkside. We all know it, if the employer wants to fire the employee their is very little the employee can do apart from apply for an extra 7 days to their visa or run to the nearest border crossing. The work-permit is used as a tool buy the schools to bully people who have a mind to think, if you do not kow down to everything they demand they will call the MOL and cancel it without your knowledge and leave you out to hang. Been there and did not enjoy the experience.

• Like 2

Can you really stay in it when unemployed or retired by the paying the contributions yourself? I thought it expired 6 months after leaving formal employment and there was no way to stay in longer. If that's correct, at what rate do you pay the contributions which are a percentage of your salary up to a maximum salary of Bt 15,000 and who pays the employer's contribution?

Can you really stay in it when unemployed or retired by the paying the contributions yourself? I thought it expired 6 months after leaving formal employment and there was no way to stay in longer. If that's correct, at what rate do you pay the contributions which are a percentage of your salary up to a maximum salary of Bt 15,000 and who pays the employer's contribution?

Anyone who leaving the job not more than 6 months can apply to the section 39 of social security system. The pay rate is 432 THB.

Agreed. How many times have there been posts on this forum asking about day trading, etc. while in Thailand w/out a WP? And, if you're doing emails, phone calls, etc. for business outside Thailand, does that require a WP? I started my own Thai Ltd Co. 8 years ago and got a WP. It also makes getting a multiple-entry Non-Imm B-1 visa possible. Recently, Thai consulates have been much more restrictive granting multiple-entry B-1's. With a work permit and a Thai Co. that is actively engaged in for profit biz, and actually making a profit, it makes staying in LOS easier. And, I do think having a Thai Co. and WP commands a bit more respect from the locals. Not to mention not having to worry about getting arrested without one when some Thai cop/bureaucrat/clerk thinks you need one.

If you have a WP you can apply for a Thai credit card with all the benefits that follows.

And you can apply for loans with low interests.

Rubbish, I have a KTC Credit card and had no work permit.

I previously had a Work Permit and paid social security, still pay it now without working.

As stated above 432 per month, but if you have been in long enough some times you pay 336 baht for 6 months then 432 baht for the other 6 months

This is simply incorrect. There are certain occupations that do not qualify for automatic enrollment into the Social Security system. In my unfortunate case, working at a private school is one of those occupations that does not fall under the category of mandatory Thai Social Security. While some private schools opt in voluntarily, it is not mandatory. Unfortunately, my place of employment is among those schools that do not voluntarily 'opt in' to the system. Again, a Work Permit does not guarantee that you will be enrolled in the system.

...Rubbish, I have a KTC Credit card and had no work permit.

I previously had a Work Permit and paid social security, still pay it now without working.

Did you have a work permit at the time you applied for your credit card?

1. You can open a trading account with a broker and certainly make money if you know how to do it, that is certainly legal. I trade myself so my fellow investors/traders can benefit too.

Do you mean access to Thai financial markets, such as Stocks and Bonds?