Thai Work Permit - What Are The Benefits?

when I first arrived here in Thailand, and after a few days I opened an account at SCB and asked and got a credit card without a work permit just my passport .smile.png

Was that a secured or unsecured credit card ?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have omitted one of the most important benefits: enrollment in the Thai Social Security system, which not only provides full health care cioverage at a very low price but which you can remain in for life even after you stop working provided you keep up the small payments.

in fact, people sometimes get a WP and job just to get into that system, especially if they have pre-existing conditions which make it hard or impossible to get private insurance.

I'd be grateful to learn more of this. I've held a continuous WP for five years and would love access. can anyone direct me please?

If you have a WP you can apply for a Thai credit card with all the benefits that follows.

And you can apply for loans with low interests.

Rubbish, I have a KTC Credit card and had no work permit.

I previously had a Work Permit and paid social security, still pay it now without working.

What are you talking about? This is not rubbish. Of course you can apply for a credit card if you have a work permit.

If you have a WP you can apply for a Thai credit card with all the benefits that follows.

I previously had a Work Permit and paid social security, still pay it now without working.

is it one of those pay as you go credit cards?

like where you have to have like 10,000 bht in the card first and then you just deduct from it?

or is it an actual card, where no money was first deposited as a security measure and you pay it off monthly?

also what limit did you get>?

cheers

1. You can open a trading account with a broker and certainly make money if you know how to do it, that is certainly legal. I trade myself so my fellow investors/traders can benefit too.

Do you mean access to Thai financial markets, such as Stocks and Bonds?

Stocks and derivatives. I believe you need a work permit to open an account with a Thai broker.

Edited by MacWalen

A work permit means you have an employer as you cannot have one as an individual worker. An employer has to pay wages, social security and forward tax to the department for each employee. A work permit does not give a visa extension unless other conditionsare met such as the rate of pay being over the minimum.

Lots more details needed.

for trading in stock market or managing your account or company outside of thailand you do not need a WP, if have an onlineshop, and i do not sell anything inside thailand, I do not receive payments from customers on my thai accounts,

If for this would be nesesary a work permit than they can charge 25% of all tourists who call their working place and make any decisions by mail or by phone,

I would make a thai company BUT NOT if i have to pay 2.000.000 baht, employ 4 thai workers and i cant be 100% owner. I have a Non O-M Visa and I do not fear anything because I make my bussiness outside of thailand, in other country´s. I leave the country every 3 month, I dont get anything from thai goverment what support me or my bussiness, so no bad feeling about thailand do not get any income tax from me.....

"While some private schools opt in voluntarily,..."

That is also incorrect. They are OUT of the SS system. There was talk a couple of years ago about putting private school employees back in the system, but it didn't go anywhere.

What Sheryl said, with exceptions, is valid.

"As stated above 432 per month, but if you have been in long enough some times you pay 336 baht for 6 months then 432 baht for the other 6 months"

The only time it's not 432 baht is when the government is running a promotion to help the folks out. They've done that several times the last couple of years.

"Can you really stay in it when unemployed or retired by the paying the contributions yourself?"

"I thought it expired 6 months after leaving formal employment and there was no way to stay in longer."

Yes, you really can.

It does expire 6 months after becoming ineligible - unless you sign up and start making payments on your own. Contact SS for the time frame you have to apply. In my experience, it was very easy to sign up. The folks at SS were very helpful. It just took a few minutes.

Many people don't know the value of the SS system. They either misunderstand the benefits, or have simply ignored it, thinking something like, 'It's Thai, so it's not any good.' Their loss.

"If that's correct, at what rate do you pay the contributions which are a percentage of your salary up to a maximum salary of Bt 15,000 and who pays the employer's contribution?""

You do realize, don't you, that we're talking about unemployed, employed in a non entitled job or retired persons.

No salary to contribute against. No employer, so no employer contribution. A flat rate of 432 baht a month, except when the government has a promo going on.

The 432 baht is for health benefits only. You are no longer contributing to unemployment or retirement.

Terry

That is also incorrect. They are OUT of the SS system. There was talk a couple of years ago about putting private school employees back in the system, but it didn't go anywhere.

I happen to know people who work at our sister school which is also a private school in another province. The sister school has 'opted in' to the system. Their teachers are making contributions that are matched by the school. They have all of the benefits of the system, both Thai and Foreign teachers alike. Where I work, they have decided not to 'opt in'. Therefore, neither Thai nor Foreign teachers get the benefits of Social Security. How are they able to do it if they are NOT in the system?

1. You can open a trading account with a broker and certainly make money if you know how to do it, that is certainly legal. I trade myself so my fellow investors/traders can benefit too.

Do you mean access to Thai financial markets, such as Stocks and Bonds?

Stocks and derivatives. I believe you need a work permit to open an account with a Thai broker.

ok... can you maybe post a list of reputable brokers that offer access to the TFEX?

Care to mention the name of the school?

At one time it was not possible to 'opt in'.

I haven't heard anything that would make me think things have changed - except your comment about it.

One unsubstantiated comment is not enough for me, but I would be happy to hear that changes have been made to that situation.

Anyone else...?

Terry

So you just pay the insured person's contribution at a fixed rate and do you get all the same benefits as someone working?

"As stated above 432 per month, but if you have been in long enough some times you pay 336 baht for 6 months then 432 baht for the other 6 months"

The only time it's not 432 baht is when the government is running a promotion to help the folks out. They've done that several times the last couple of years.

"Can you really stay in it when unemployed or retired by the paying the contributions yourself?"

"I thought it expired 6 months after leaving formal employment and there was no way to stay in longer."

Yes, you really can.

It does expire 6 months after becoming ineligible - unless you sign up and start making payments on your own. Contact SS for the time frame you have to apply. In my experience, it was very easy to sign up. The folks at SS were very helpful. It just took a few minutes.

Many people don't know the value of the SS system. They either misunderstand the benefits, or have simply ignored it, thinking something like, 'It's Thai, so it's not any good.' Their loss.

"If that's correct, at what rate do you pay the contributions which are a percentage of your salary up to a maximum salary of Bt 15,000 and who pays the employer's contribution?""

You do realize, don't you, that we're talking about unemployed, employed in a non entitled job or retired persons.

No salary to contribute against. No employer, so no employer contribution. A flat rate of 432 baht a month, except when the government has a promo going on.

The 432 baht is for health benefits only. You are no longer contributing to unemployment or retirement.

Terry

Oh, I see the point about the formerly employed persons getting healthcare benefits only. I think there has been some talk about admitting informal workers on that basis too. Business owners, directors and shareholders get a raw deal by being excluded from the fund on the basis that they are all too rich. The vast majority probably need these benefits and there are also some employees in the scheme earning over a million a month who are much better off than most directors and shareholders.

By Thai standards the retirement income of Bt 6,000 a month for someone aged at least 55 and in the scheme for 15 years, earning at least Bt 15,000 a month. Without taking inflation into account you get back all your own contributions in about 18 months. In contrast the UK basic pension is a crappy deal compared to the contributions you have to put it. Add to that the rip off of not index linking it for those living in certain countries selected at random by a monkey with a dart board.

One thing I found useful was with a wp you do not need to address verification form from immigration to renew your Thai Drivers licence. not a big deal but it does cut out one step (and saves you several hours).

"Oh, I see the point about the formerly employed persons getting healthcare benefits only. I think there has been some talk about admitting informal workers on that basis too."

Social Security actually has another program for those not eligible for their 'regular' system.

There is a brochure, which I can't locate right now - of course.

It is much different, and not really attractive to foreigners. Not really a health plan, but ok for accidents. Some payments for loss of limbs, etc.

Maybe a low benefit life plan tt, but I really don't remember the details. I do remember looking at the brochure and not thinking too highly of the plan.

I'm not even sure foreigners would be able to join this plan.

The cost was very small per month. Maybe a deal for those under/unemployed.

Terry

when I first arrived here in Thailand, and after a few days I opened an account at SCB and asked and got a credit card without a work permit just my passport .smile.png

yes, you did, but did you tell them you had to use your funds to secure it? IE: 100,000b held in deposit for 100,000b credit.........

One thing I found useful was with a wp you do not need to address verification form from immigration to renew your Thai Drivers licence. not a big deal but it does cut out one step (and saves you several hours).

Nobody asks you for a work permit when you apply for or renew your driver's licence. You need a non-imm visa, and a proof of address if the address changes (or if this is your first application). The WP is accepted as a proof of address, but there are other ways,

What are you talking about? This is not rubbish. Of course you can apply for a credit card if you have a work permit.

Some banks allow you to apply for a credit card without a work permit. My first credit card was issued when I was a student. This is a credit card we are talking abut, not a debit card.

I don't know what is going on here. It sounds as if the benefits of having a work permit are discussed in the context of whether to apply for it or not.

This is totally wrong. You apply for a work permit when you want to work. Period.

Otherwise you are illegal and shall be deported.

If you do have a work permit there are some benefits, but you wouldn't apply for the WP for those. You apply because you intend to work.

Some banks allow you to apply for a credit card without a work permit. My first credit card was issued when I was a student. This is a credit card we are talking abut, not a debit card.

Who mentioned debit card ?.................. was you credit card secured or unsecured ?

I don't know what is going on here. It sounds as if the benefits of having a work permit are discussed in the context of whether to apply for it or not.

This is totally wrong. You apply for a work permit when you want to work. Period.

Otherwise you are illegal and shall be deported.

If you do have a work permit there are some benefits, but you wouldn't apply for the WP for those. You apply because you intend to work.

Many people on the other hand work without work permits, that is also illegal. Some people go to a school because they want the visa, not to study so much. That is also wrong but still a lot of people do it.

Edited by MacWalen

There are many benefits to having a work permit, but I'm not sure buying a work permit from a company is the right way to go about it.

There are also other companies offering umbrella company options for legally staying in Thailand and paying tax through similar work permit services or even scams if you care to call it that.

I prefer that my work permit was obtained through a proper job with a proper company and in a field of which I am an expert and of value to Thailand, and not someone who could potential hold me to ransom if I don't meet their financial incentive expectations.

Having a work permit is a great thing, albeit Thailand is no tax haven but it puts you on the right road to getting mortgages, finance, Loans, Credit cards, health coverage etc.. All the sorts of things that we took for granted back home. It is a great basis for the younger members amongst us to plan their future in the country.

It can set you on the right path to Permanent residence and even citizenship.

But the fact that I can buy a work permit stinks to me... and could be a loophole that is closed very quickly, much in the same way ED visa abusers have had extensions of stay refused after being unable to speak the most basic Thai to the immigration officer who see's that they have been apparently learning Thai for like 7 years.

• Like 1

There are many benefits to having a work permit, but I'm not sure buying a work permit from a company is the right way to go about it.

There are also other companies offering umbrella company options for legally staying in Thailand and paying tax through similar work permit services or even scams if you care to call it that.

I prefer that my work permit was obtained through a proper job with a proper company and in a field of which I am an expert and of value to Thailand, and not someone who could potential hold me to ransom if I don't meet their financial incentive expectations.

Having a work permit is a great thing, albeit Thailand is no tax haven but it puts you on the right road to getting mortgages, finance, Loans, Credit cards, health coverage etc.. All the sorts of things that we took for granted back home. It is a great basis for the younger members amongst us to plan their future in the country.

It can set you on the right path to Permanent residence and even citizenship.

But the fact that I can buy a work permit stinks to me... and could be a loophole that is closed very quickly, much in the same way ED visa abusers have had extensions of stay refused after being unable to speak the most basic Thai to the immigration officer who see's that they have been apparently learning Thai for like 7 years.

I help with ED visas on a daily basis and have done maybe 20,000 cases till now, and I can tell you refusals of ED visa extension are very rare. So rare that when it happens you hear about it. Also we help students with all their needs and the Walen school has never had even one case of someone who did not get their ED visa extension.

Regarding Walen, we are not a mickey mouse company. Have millions of dollars in our books and 12 year history, managing director, that would be me, is a permanent Thai resident ( a poster corrected me before that I am not just a Thai resident). We have an excellent rapport with authorities, ministry of education, labour department and immigration.

Also Walen is not selling work permits but we help with obtaining one.

Walen School - make you can trust!

"You apply for a work permit when you want to work. Period."

I want to work. Can I apply now?

MacWalen says,

"Some people go to a school because they want the visa, not to study so much. That is also wrong but still a lot of people do it."

There's some really funny stuff on here.

Manarak (post 44)

I am not sure about TFEX but I do not have a WP and am not a permanent Thai resident but have bank accounts with Thai banks and last time opened a brokerage account. As I am not resident, I cannot trade on margin. To be entitled to dividends and a vote at AGMs of one does not have to buy "F" shares but to register them as NVR which can be done on the platform at the time of purchase. There is a withholding tax on dividends but the bank supplies forms to claim it back.

On the other hand I would be very interested to know how I could legitimately obtain a work permit preferably working for myself. Any help/advice on this front would be welcome.

Who mentioned debit card ?.................. was you credit card secured or unsecured ?

If your question is whether I had to make a fixed deposit to match the credit limit, the answer is no. I did have an account with that branch, but it was a savings account with about THB 1,000 at the time.