Thai Nationals To Be Caned For Overstaying In Brunei: Report

webfact

I like the idea of caning in Thailand - for all those found guilty of corruption. Would work better that being sent to an inactive post. How about keelhauling for the skippers and owners of the fishing boats that employ slave labour?

Don't get excited. Just musing during a senior moment.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get over it guys there country there laws ,,like some of you say ,if you dont like it dont go there (OR HERE),,,,,,thailand executes people dont they,,,,again its there laws,,but i dont see anyone leaving in a hurry do you,,,have a safe day everyone,,

My first thought was that there are not enough facts about this story for me to be able to form a sound opinion on the matter. And then it occurred to me that the Brunei officials do not seem to care about anything other than the fact that they are on overstay. There is a mention of "reasonable causes" but there is no description.

It seems to me that I cannot say this is barbaric or not giving credence to what those reasonable causes may be, and whether or not the foreigners were aware of the ramifications of doing something that they may have then thought was not an offense that would bring this on.

I did look up on the Internet and found this description of the caning process in detail (here) and the list which has the offenses that compel a caning (here).

If it is true that these foreigners were on overstay for more than 90 days, then I cannot say I have too much sympathy for their lack of due diligence whilst being in a host country. 90 day is more than enough time to have a little sense of urgency and to demonstrate the ability to inquire; hence showing your host country you are trying to be responsible and respectful to their laws.

Message to the foreigners: "You aren't in Kansas anymore, Dorothy."

Edit: I just wanted to add that the cane is applied to the buttocks. Perhaps if more Thai children were given the appropriate pressure to their buttocks when they got out of line, then stories like this would not be so prevalent as they are in Thailand.

Presumably, based on your last paragraph you advocate a return to corporal punishment in schools the world over. Why would you single Thai children out? Do you believe the children in Europe, US and Aussie are all well behaved studious and cause no trouble?

You are wrong on all accounts simply because you presume. Your distinctions also do not make sense, since this OP is about adults, who were once the children you now champion, and who now - as adults - misbehaved... and got an adult spanking.

Personally I would rather be the one who spares my son from the cane (or worse yet) by delivering a similar experience to his bum with a form of strict loving-kindness that can only come from a loyal and loving father.

If people like you and UNICEF were all that, then I would be apologizing to you. But that is not the case, is it? Pain is a fact of life which can be used both for good and for bad. I believe that loving-kindness goes a long way in sorting out the difference, and preserving a life of well-being and the ability to restrain one's self when the fools press in - this, in the event that loving-kindness is administered accordingly and in direct proportion to the people and circumstances involved without regard to their age.

You seem to want to associate corporal punishment to one standard; and that being extreme abuse. That is another oversight in your thinking and dilutes your implication that handling young adults with padded gloves is the cure-all. Black and white (either way) covers very little in remedying human character defects and poor behavioral traits. I believe a little of both covers much much more.

I guarantee that those foreigners will never have another overstay in Dubai, were they allowed to remain or return. Body intact, mind altered, lesson learned; yet it would have been much better had their father brought them up in a manner that would have prevented this unfortunate adult tutorial in behaving. Long overdue, yet duly administered.

Pity corporal punishment can not be handed out in Thailand instead of fines, perhaps we would have a more disciplined public and education system.

The problem would be the same as all other justice in Thailand. It all changes with those few magical words, "don't yiou know who my father is?" .

Because crime is low in Singapore, the authorities have convinced themselves it works as a deterrent. Well, they just need to look north to Malaysia and the crime rate there to see that caning is not the answer it appears to be. But every time the UN takes Singapore to task on the matter, they simply play the 'sovereignty card'. My ex-gf's dad was the lead physician who actually prepared a legal defense of caning for the government several years back when the UN was shaking the tree... we did not get along.

though i agree that caning doesnt work well as a deterrent but thats a really poor comparison and there are better examples out there. its like comparing vatican city crime rates to italy.

My first thought was that there are not enough facts about this story for me to be able to form a sound opinion on the matter. And then it occurred to me that the Brunei officials do not seem to care about anything other than the fact that they are on overstay. There is a mention of "reasonable causes" but there is no description.

It seems to me that I cannot say this is barbaric or not giving credence to what those reasonable causes may be, and whether or not the foreigners were aware of the ramifications of doing something that they may have then thought was not an offense that would bring this on.

I did look up on the Internet and found this description of the caning process in detail (here) and the list which has the offenses that compel a caning (here).

If it is true that these foreigners were on overstay for more than 90 days, then I cannot say I have too much sympathy for their lack of due diligence whilst being in a host country. 90 day is more than enough time to have a little sense of urgency and to demonstrate the ability to inquire; hence showing your host country you are trying to be responsible and respectful to their laws.

Message to the foreigners: "You aren't in Kansas anymore, Dorothy."

Edit: I just wanted to add that the cane is applied to the buttocks. Perhaps if more Thai children were given the appropriate pressure to their buttocks when they got out of line, then stories like this would not be so prevalent as they are in Thailand.

Presumably, based on your last paragraph you advocate a return to corporal punishment in schools the world over. Why would you single Thai children out? Do you believe the children in Europe, US and Aussie are all well behaved studious and cause no trouble?

You are wrong on all accounts simply because you presume. Your distinctions also do not make sense, since this OP is about adults, who were once the children you now champion, and who now - as adults - misbehaved... and got an adult spanking.

Personally I would rather be the one who spares my son from the cane (or worse yet) by delivering a similar experience to his bum with a form of strict loving-kindness that can only come from a loyal and loving father.

If people like you and UNICEF were all that, then I would be apologizing to you. But that is not the case, is it? Pain is a fact of life which can be used both for good and for bad. I believe that loving-kindness goes a long way in sorting out the difference, and preserving a life of well-being and the ability to restrain one's self when the fools press in - this, in the event that loving-kindness is administered accordingly and in direct proportion to the people and circumstances involved without regard to their age.

You seem to want to associate corporal punishment to one standard; and that being extreme abuse. That is another oversight in your thinking and dilutes your implication that handling young adults with padded gloves is the cure-all. Black and white (either way) covers very little in remedying human character defects and poor behavioral traits. I believe a little of both covers much much more.

I guarantee that those foreigners will never have another overstay in Dubai, were they allowed to remain or return. Body intact, mind altered, lesson learned; yet it would have been much better had their father brought them up in a manner that would have prevented this unfortunate adult tutorial in behaving. Long overdue, yet duly administered.

I didn't read it Cup but I agree with what you say...

For all those that are making light of this subject you really need to sit and watch what this punishment means in real life.

At what part when you see the skin torn apart and lost muscle control do you consider that this thread deserves any light hearted comments ??

Maybe this would "solve" Thailand's problem with overstaying farang? Still funny is it ?

This level of damage is astonishing. I somehow thought the end result of caning was a fair amount of pain and some red welts, had no idea it is much much closer to torture. My opinion of Malaysia , which was never really that good, has now dropped to zero. It the country of Thailand had any balls, they would stop this. If this person about to receive this caning was a Chinese citizen, am pretty sure it would be stopped IMMEDIATELY.

Am somewhat stunned that Brunei would follow the wacky laws of Malaysia...

"Am somewhat stunned that Brunei would follow the wacky laws of Malaysia"...

Why?

Brunei is completely surrounded by Malaysian territory, Sarawak, and was a British protectorate until 1984. Same language, same culture. Same laws, British & Sharia. Same punishments.

You are right, my bad.... :-) Muslim since the 15th century. I somehow thought since it passed on being a part of Malaysia like the other sultanates did, that it would cut its own path. Guess not. I rode through Brunei on a motorcycle trip in Borneo. Felt like a very strange place, I would not want them in control of me. Again , I look forward to Yingluck thundering away in a speech to protect these Thai citizens from what looks very much like torture...

"...I would not want them in control of me."

You and I have something in common I think.

I can't say what I would do afterwords, but it wouldn't be forgotten.

For serious crimes like rape, human traficking or robbery maybe, but for a non-crime like overstaying it's pervert, barbaric and sadistic and belongs in the Middleages. Sick minded retards.

Ah, 'pervert, barbaric and sadistic and belongs in the middleages' . . . unless meted out under your rules. Nice! thumbsup.gif

This all bodes well to the future and the true spirit of ASEAN

Interesting . . . how so?

Just a thought as they were in the company of a Thai lady when caught, could she be caned too, if the Judge had wanted it as part of the sentence?

Or is the cane just for males.

BW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_in_Malaysia#Exemptions

>

Exemptions

Malaysian law excludes the following groups from judicial caning:

• Women
  • Men aged 50 and above (except when convicted of rape);
  • Any person below the age of 10
  • Any person deemed unfit for caning by a medical officer
  • The insane

Boys aged 10 to 18 may be sentenced up to ten strokes with a light cane

I guess it may be helpful to let you know that Brunei and Malaysia are two different countries?

Brunei....yet another retrograde, Muslim backwater.

You've been there? Obviously not . . . and what is your opinion vis-a-vis Thai treatment of refugees? Capital punishment? Conditions in Thai jails etc . . . Yet another retrograde Buddhist backwater?

Just a thought as they were in the company of a Thai lady when caught, could she be caned too, if the Judge had wanted it as part of the sentence?

Or is the cane just for males.

BW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_in_Malaysia#Exemptions

>

Exemptions

Malaysian law excludes the following groups from judicial caning:

• Women
  • Men aged 50 and above (except when convicted of rape);
  • Any person below the age of 10
  • Any person deemed unfit for caning by a medical officer
  • The insane

Boys aged 10 to 18 may be sentenced up to ten strokes with a ligh

t cane

I guess it may be helpful to let you know that Brunei and Malaysia are two different countries?

You are right, and here something about the Brunei law for Caning.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Brunei

Brunei uses caning (for males only) for less serious crimes, including

illegal entry, overstaying your visa for over 90 days, rape, robbery,

corruption, and vandalism. Caning is no slap on the wrist. Strokes from

the thick rattan cane is excruciating and very painful. They can take

weeks to heal, and even scar for life. These laws apply to foreigners as

well.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Caning for serious crimes is ok but I think it's too harsh for overstaying. I mean you're putting overstayers in the same league as rapists and drug smugglers. How many TV posters would a few cuts on the backside if they did that here too?

U must be a liberal from a western country. The law is the law. Only Obama is emperor who can decide which laws to enforce and which ones to overlook.