9 Years On, Jomtien Second Road Remains A Perilous Mess

Rimmer

9 years on, Jomtien Second Road remains a perilous mess

n1Jomtien1.jpg
PATTAYA:--Nine years after construction began, Jomtien Second Road remains incomplete, with unfinished sections acting as magnets for construction-related vehicle accidents.

While city officials have, for years, contended work is nearly complete, the state of Second Road says otherwise. Sidewalks are a mess, holes gape where electricity poles should go, and the busy intersection near Bunkanchanaram temple is imperiled by non-working traffic lights.

“I’ve been driving here for approximately 2 months and have found that the intersection is often littered with accidents,” said motorcycle taxi driver Nopadol Sukhkhaeng. He said the “s” curve before the intersection is dangerous, with drivers speeding through it and then crashing in the unregulated crossing.
Full story:http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/9-years-on-jomtien-second-road-remains-a-perilous-mess-26234

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2013-05-24 footer_n.gif

And let's not forget that it goes down to one <deleted> lane at the Bali Hi overpass, which of course is uncontrolled so is a real free for all, as is the intersection where the new part meets the old part at the curve going to Jomtien Beach Road

Is there more than one road works department here, since it appears that there is no cohesive planning of roads and intersections in Pattaya ?

And let's not forget that it goes down to one <deleted> lane at the Bali Hi overpass, which of course is uncontrolled so is a real free for all, as is the intersection where the new part meets the old part at the curve going to Jomtien Beach Road

Is there more than one road works department here, since it appears that there is no cohesive planning of roads and intersections in Pattaya ?

Where does jomtien second road come even near Bali Hi ?

Aren't you comfused with pattaya 3rd road?

• Like 1

nothing gets completed here because only 50% of the money allocated to the project actually gets spent on the project - the reds are in control, anyone trying to investigate will end up in a body bag

I thought it was usual in road construction, to do the planing Before the work starts, not 9 years later. There has never been a project that is completed in Pattaya, im sure there much be a reason.

No doubt they did a lot of planning on the Boon sampan intersection with 2nd road whistling.gif

Probably he means where you pass beneath the overpass, where it meets with 3rd road at ground level and where it's something of a free-for-all as you edge out into the intersection hoping the cross traffic will not run you over.

post-145917-0-11647500-1369407872_thumb.

• Like 1

Probably he means where you pass beneath the overpass, where it meets with 3rd road at ground level and where it's something of a free-for-all as you edge out into the intersection hoping the cross traffic will not run you over.

That's what I had in mind, but that is Thappraya road. No relation with Jomtien second road other than that it connects some 5 km away.

The problem is that Pattaya Second Road and Jomtien Second Road are completely different roads? For years people here at TV complained about the construction on the road between Pattaya and Jomtien and always referred to it as Second Road construction, since the route started out on Pattaya Second Road

Based upon jbrain's post, the road that I always thought was Second Road in Jomtien is in fact Thap Phraya, which now extends all the way South to Chaiyaphruek and beyond

post-10942-0-65407700-1369449471_thumb.p

The problem is that Pattaya Second Road and Jomtien Second Road are completely different roads? For years people here at TV complained about the construction on the road between Pattaya and Jomtien and always referred to it as Second Road construction, since the route started out on Pattaya Second Road

Based upon jbrain's post, the road that I always thought was Second Road in Jomtien is in fact Thap Phraya, which now extends all the way South to Chaiyaphruek and beyond

attachicon.gifmap.png

I may be wrong Langsuan man, but I think the correct naming is that Thappraya road ends at the Thepprasit intersection and from there on either Jomtien beach road or Jomtien second road starts.

I am myself a little confused but East of the Hanuman statue idirection Chaiyapruek s Jomtien second road while South of the statue is Jomtien Beach road. Not sure what the section between The Hanuman statue and Thepprasit road is called.

attachicon.gifmap.png

I may be wrong Langsuan man, but I think the correct naming is that Thappraya road ends at the Thepprasit intersection and from there on either Jomtien beach road or Jomtien second road starts.

I am myself a little confused but East of the Hanuman statue idirection Chaiyapruek s Jomtien second road while South of the statue is Jomtien Beach road. Not sure what the section between The Hanuman statue and Thepprasit road is called.

As I understand it. Thappraya Road runs all the way from Pattaya Sai Sam intersection (at the overpass) going south all the way to Thepprasit Road intersection. Technically that is where Jomtien 2nd Road starts and runs all the way south past the statue, past the Rhompo markets, and all the way through the intersection at Soi Wat Boon (Soi Boonkanjana) and on to Chaiyapruek 2. It also runs past there but the road has been partially closed for ages although I see that it can now be driven on - not sure where it winds up but I think it runs eventually on to Sukhumvit heading south.

I see that they've installed traffic lights at the three intersections (The statue, Watboon, and Chaiyapruek 2), maybe 3 or 4 months ago but not been commissioned yet. ironically one of the lights at Watboon was taken out in a car smash last month.

I'm not sure of the name of the soi that runs from the statue to Jomtien Beach Road - many of the locals just call it Soi Zero as the next cross Soi heading south is Soi 1. Or it's sometimes called Soi Jomtien Complex, or "the soi with the gogo bar"

With all the confusion on road names, not just in Pattaya, but the whole country, you would think road signs would be put up. The only person that has a clue to the name of the road, is the mailman. How do you give directions in an emergency? How does the emergency vehicles even find the address? Road signs are a part of the building of a road, not just the cement. I would say that when the signs are up, then the road is finished, not before.

AFAIK the Theppraya Road-stretch from the Bali Hai fly-over up to the Hanuman Statue was re-named Jomtien Beach 2nd Road a few years ago.

Construction hasn't stopped, because the road was never really officially opened. I even think that the last bit up to Chaiyapruk isn't finished yet.

Thappraya Rd ends at the Thepprasit Rd. red light.

Thappraya Rd. should end at the intersection of Beach Rd and Jomtien 2nd Rd.

Any other way is just confusing and dumb.

Edited by DiNiro

That's what I had in mind, but that is Thappraya road. No relation with Jomtien second road other than that it connects some 5 km away.

Seems a little like nit-picking to me. It is a continuation of the same road, albeit that the name changes, presumably somewhere around the Thepprasit junction.

Seems a little like nit-picking to me. It is a continuation of the same road, albeit that the name changes, presumably somewhere around the Thepprasit junction.

If you see it that way, then why don't we call Naklua road also not an extention of Jomtien 2nd road ?

After all, every road leads to Rome.

to come back to the OP, my personal view on this is that Thappraya/Jomtien second road isn't particularly subpar if compared with other thai roads. Just par for the course, except one part is not finished yet and there are a couple of big bumps. The sections where too soft asphalt was employed should be flattened and coated with harder cover.

It will get there eventually.

to come back to the OP, my personal view on this is that Thappraya/Jomtien second road isn't particularly subpar if compared with other thai roads. Just par for the course, except one part is not finished yet and there are a couple of big bumps. The sections where too soft asphalt was employed should be flattened and coated with harder cover.

My guess is that it has nothing to do with soft asphalt but that there are sinkholes under the road at certain places, and they will only get bigger untill the road collapses at that location.

• Like 1

My guess is that it has nothing to do with soft asphalt but that there are sinkholes under the road at certain places, and they will only get bigger untill the road collapses at that location.

maybe, but I was referring to soft asphalt for the uneven sections such as at the hanuman statue, just before the insection near the drain when driving down from the thepprasit intersection

• Like 1

maybe, but I was referring to soft asphalt for the uneven sections such as at the hanuman statue, just before the insection near the drain when driving down from the thepprasit intersection

Point taken, I thought you were refering to the few locations along the road where it clearly sags and is quite dangerous on a bike.

The Road Standards have been like this for many many years.

All work whether on Roads , sidewalks , beaches, etc is always 'almost' complete no matter what stage it is seen to be.

beatdeadhorse.gif

The construction of the 2nd road took not much time compared to the Thappraya disaster which went on like forever. I lived in the area 2 years ago, and stopped my pushbike many times to pause and watch the construction, looked not bad to me. They compacted the sand properly, put a thick layer of limestone gravel on it and compacted again, and finished with more than 3cm of tarmac. Should be good enough for an area where there is no winter, but they allow anything to drive on their streets without restrictions and checks, and heavy transports damage the roads inevitably. As soon as the traffic lights on the Watboon intersection work, expect more and more fatal accidents due to morons jumping red lights at 100mph. So far, most drivers approach the crossing slowly.

I have lived in Jomtien Beach Condo for 7 years, and have had a grandstand seat to watch the "progress" of constuction. Lay down sidewalks. Tear them up for some reason, lay down road, tear up for sewers... etc etc.

I had a picture in my mind of the project boss standing with his 5 year old son, on a bluff overlooking the whole scene, and saying "Someday this will be your project, son".

nothing gets completed here because only 50% of the money allocated to the project actually gets spent on the project - the reds are in control, anyone trying to investigate will end up in a body bag

I think its more like 49.55555% actuaLY LOL.Do u work for city hall??????

I think its more like 49.55555% actuaLY LOL.Do u work for city hall??????

I thought the officially accepted corruption ratio was circa 30% for all and any government purchasing and expenditure? Or has there been a policy change they haven't reported in The Post yet? coffee1.gif

I have lived in Jomtien Beach Condo for 7 years, and have had a grandstand seat to watch the "progress" of constuction. Lay down sidewalks. Tear them up for some reason, lay down road, tear up for sewers... etc etc. I had a picture in my mind of the project boss standing with his 5 year old son, on a bluff overlooking the whole scene, and saying "Someday this will be your project, son".

This will be going on Forever & yeah the construction crews will have a job for life.. By 2020 even more resorts in Jomtien are being built & more construction in Nakua as well...

All interesting observations and arguments, yet looking at this from every angle, and according to my understanding of Thais, everything is right on schedule; according to my understanding of Thais, that is; ...all responsibility being removed, zero sense of accountability and zero enforcement of either, to mention a coupe of factors about the Thais. They're right on target with their life goals, my dears.

So, what's all the huff about?