What After 1 Year?

Can anyone tell me what I need to do after 1 year.

I have just got a 1 year multiple O visa, which I will take for a years extension when we go to Thailand.

(I am married to a Thai) when the year is up do I need to leave and reapply or can I do this while in Thailand?

Thanks

If you receive an extension of stay inside Thailand you just continue to do that each year (at an immigration office inside Thailand). You must meet the 200k in a bank account/marriage each time. You did not need a multi entry visa if this was your plan but good insurance in case something goes wrong (you have to spend bank money and delay extension application for example).

After your first extension, there is no requirement

to leave the Kingdom provided you process a

further extension before the previous one expires.

You will be expected to apply for your first extension

during the last 30 days of any 90 day entry.

The first extension will then be for 9 months to

take you to one year from your last entry.

Roger

OK thanks, but one last question.

If I leave Thailand when I am into the extension period (and say my 1 year multiple has expired because of the date) can I re enter on the extension period or do I need to re apply for a new visa?

Thanks for all your good advice!

Once you apply for extension of stay the dates on your visa are immaterial. The date you have to be concerned is the extension of stay until xx/xxx/xxxx. You must be back on or before that date to begin the extension process again. If not you must obtain a new visa and start the process over. Also, prior to any travel you must obtain a re-entry permit which will have the same valid until date as your extension of stay. If you fail to do that and try to return your extension of stay will be invalid and you will have to start the visa/extension process over. The re-entry permit is what you list as your "visa" when you re-enter on an extension of stay.

This is excellent advice and I am sure completely correct.

However the Thai Embassy in London say that you must apply for a new visa if you intend to stay in LOS beyond the expiry date of the year extension and then go to immigration in Bangkok and have the new visa extended.....

A good way of raising funds for them I guess :o

This is excellent advice and I am sure completely correct.

However the Thai Embassy in London say that you must apply for a new visa if you intend to stay in LOS beyond the expiry date of the year extension and then go to immigration in Bangkok and have the new visa extended.....

A good way of raising funds for them I guess :o

And it disrupts the continuity of the extension. You'd have to start all over.