Went To The Market Today... 100% Increase....

pattayadingo

As usual we went to the local market to get fresh veg and to buy eggs. No problem at all with those.

I decided I fancied some chicken liver on a stick. They used to be 5 Baht each. Ordered 4 and was asked for 40 Baht. The g/f double checked the price. I refused to pay a 100% increase and walked off.

At another stall the g/f went to ask how much and one of those off the 1st stall shouted across that they were 10 Baht. The g/f was not happy. Needless to say she walked away clap2.gif

I do not mind increases with products, but a 100% increase? No way. So they lost a customer.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes 5 baht is the norm. What market?

Khao Talo market right hand side as you go up.

I'm dissapointed TBH. Sometimes I like those nibbles on a stick of an evening with a 5 Baht portion of sticky rice.

The g/f is still mad at them now laugh.png

She says the two stalls are most likely family run and she says WE will never use them again. I like her smile.png

I've paid the same price ฿35 for local food over last 6 years with no increase they put up there prices by ฿5 on the 1st of April I am not whinging they have to cover there costs and make a living

Must be really angry to start a thread over 20 baht!

or annoyed at a 100% mark up.

If you are willing to pay 100% over the odds, up to you.

In this case 100% mark up resulting in 20baht.

I hope your annoyance is dissipating.

Bravo! Don't pay it!!! You will find the same with someone else! If we stop paying, they will lower their price! There is nobody here!! Its D-E-A-D! STAND FIRM!!! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it when it's like this!!! My choice of girls at my price! If they want more, bye, bye next! There is always someone else!!!

Bravo! Don't pay it!!! You will find the same with someone else! If we stop paying, they will lower their price! There is nobody here!! Its D-E-A-D! STAND FIRM!!! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it when it's like this!!! My choice of girls at my price! If they want more, bye, bye next! There is always someone else!!!

do you really think you can teach a dog how to speak?

us/them/we, no one cares.

So they lost a sale, they do not care, because they will still sell out by the end of the day.

I do agree with OP that sometimes even though the amount is tiny, its just annoying, but no one is going to learn from it and they will do the same tomorrow and day after.

Buy a grill and get your GF to do the cooking, is it that hard to grill a few sticks of meat ? Lazy people always get overcharged whistling.gif

you joking? why the hell would someone waste few thousand baht to have an occasional few sticksrolleyes.gif

I always wonder about comments like these. I wonder how many people out there really are so stupid that they think its about 20 baht or whatever and fail to see the bigger point being made. Then i also wonder, if there are enough idiots out there then you end up with one vendor after another doubling their prices as there are enough morons who just put up with it. What happens if you find these chicke liver sticks are 100% higher even though its just 20baht, but then the beer is 100% higher, then the grocery shopping is 100% higher, then the water/electric bill is 100% higher etc etc, until your total cost of living is 100% higher. But with your savings/income the same as before, you are then 50% poorer. Do these morons then say, no worries, only 50% poorer?

Does the significance really need to be explained?

Yeah the sky is falling in and the end of the world is coming.

How annoying is it that you need to start a thread on it.

Seems like you the OP and others have their priorities out of whack.

Yes the price has gone up and it is double meaning that it will now cost 40baht instead of 20baht.

Maybe we should have a national inquiry. Maybe we should boycott all these vendors. Or maybe we should march on city hall and demand action from the Mayor.

I always wonder about comments like these. I wonder how many people out there really are so stupid that they think its about 20 baht or whatever and fail to see the bigger point being made. Then i also wonder, if there are enough idiots out there then you end up with one vendor after another doubling their prices as there are enough morons who just put up with it. What happens if you find these chicke liver sticks are 100% higher even though its just 20baht, but then the beer is 100% higher, then the grocery shopping is 100% higher, then the water/electric bill is 100% higher etc etc, until your total cost of living is 100% higher. But with your savings/income the same as before, you are then 50% poorer. Do these morons then say, no worries, only 50% poorer?

Does the significance really need to be explained?

Yeah the sky is falling in and the end of the world is coming.

How annoying is it that you need to start a thread on it.

Seems like you the OP and others have their priorities out of whack.

Yes the price has gone up and it is double meaning that it will now cost 40baht instead of 20baht.

Maybe we should have a national inquiry. Maybe we should boycott all these vendors. Or maybe we should march on city hall and demand action from the Mayor.

I vote for boycotting mayors house, worked in Phuket for illegal taxi drivers, i do not see why it can not work for drunken foreignerslaugh.png

My girlfriend always use to pay 10 baht each for the big ones and 5 baht for the smaller ones. I love the chicken liver, hearts, etc.. I think 10 baht is still fair, if that is what the Thai's are payIng.

Edited by Ohyesuare

The prices have been that low forever.

Think of all the prep in buying the stuff, cooking the stuff, sauces, sticks, rice, coal, petrol etc it soon ads up. How many per day would you need to sell to make a profit?

Everything is getting more costly so why not.

:D

• Like 1

Think of all the prep in buying the stuff, cooking the stuff, sauces, sticks, rice, coal, petrol etc it soon ads up. How many per day would you need to sell to make a profit?

biggrin.png

So you would not have a problem if gas went from 40 baht/lt to 80 baht over night?

Or beer at 7/11 from 30 to 60?

• Like 1

Posted Image

So you would not have a problem if gas went from 40 baht/lt to 80 baht over night?

That would be a problem as it is unrealistic.

Beer goes up a little every now and then nothing drastic thats fine.

The government have decided to cap diesel at 30 baht, when it goes up eventually then I will say "oh well, we had a good run".

These are market stalls the price has been 5 baht forever.

What about these cheap restaurants that charge 30 baht for food, I know one that one day just put its prices upto 40 baht.

Another restaurant I like to frequent was charging 25 baht for food for a long time and just the other week put the prices up to 30 baht as the rent in the building had gone up. Very apolagetic owner.

If you don't like something then find another way or go without. It's not an essential its a treat, at 5 or 10 baht its still cheap and its not like your ordering 10 a day... or are you?

Simples.

biggrin.png

That would be a problem as it is unrealistic.

Beer goes up a little every now and then nothing drastic thats fine.

The government have decided to cap diesel at 30 baht, when it goes up eventually then I will say "oh well, we had a good run".

These are market stalls the price has been 5 baht forever.

What about these cheap restaurants that charge 30 baht for food, I know one that one day just put its prices upto 40 baht.

Another restaurant I like to frequent was charging 25 baht for food for a long time and just the other week put the prices up to 30 baht as the rent in the building had gone up. Very apolagetic owner.

If you don't like something then find another way or go without. It's not an essential its a treat, at 5 or 10 baht its still cheap and its not like your ordering 10 a day... or are you?

biggrin.png

Simples.

biggrin.png

The whole point OP was trying to make before getting bashed was doubling the price is the problem, sure its a small amount, but his complaint is not the amount but the percent of increase.

• Like 2

Buy a grill and get your GF to do the cooking, is it that hard to grill a few sticks of meat ? Lazy people always get overcharged whistling.gif

We cook regularly at home but that does not mean we have to cook everything, so how does that make us lazy. Do you cook everything/? Really?

i doubt it.