Pickup Trucks

Big Guns

I am trying to find out which is the best truck, the Mazda Fighter or Mitsubishi Strada. I realise that most people go for Toyota or Isuzu as they have the strongest residual values. However they are more expensive and I simply don't have enough cash.

I am consifering buying a 1 year old Mazda or Mitsubishi. Does anyone own either of these vehicles? What are they like for performance, comfort, reliability and running costs? Advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

The company I worked for in Malaysia a couple of years ago ran Mazda Fighters ( 4WD) as site vehicles. They are comfortable, powerful enough ( 2.5TD) and have good road manners. I also drove a Mitsu Storm there, which essentially the same vehicle as the Strada, with the exception of the engine - Storm 2.5TD, Strada 2.8 normally aspirated.

Of the 2 the Mazda was a much more comfortable drive on road, with the Mitsu beiong more capable on the rough stuff.

It all depends on what you are going to use it for..............

I live in PakChong. The vehicle will be used for travelling to work, which is about a 24 km round trip. Also for trips to Korat and Bangkok. So no real rough stuff, apart from the many pot holes! I'm interested in the extracab/free style cab.

I've owned a Mazda Fighter (4 x 4, 2.5 TD) for coming up six years. Other than general servicing (which I have done regularly) my only repair bills have been wheel bearings (preventative) and a replacement oil seal in the prop shaft. Albeit the truck has only 75,000 km on the clock. I've been very pleased with it. Cost for diesel: Bht 10.00 per kilometer - a bit heavy. Sorry, must have been asleep still when I typed that - should be 10 km/litre. Doh

Edited by jayenram

Both vehicles have recently been replaced with a new model, so this might bring a little ddrop in price, which is good for any prospective buyer.

All pick ups in Thailand are pretty bullet proof - they have to be. Of the 2 the Mitsubishi is more popular for resale.

As for the engines the Mitsubishi has a 2800cc which is usually naturally aspirated but also available in turbo form. I'm told that the earlier turbos are a "waste of time". A later model will be considerably more powerful.

As for the Masda/Ford (the same vehicle) 2500 needs to be turbo really.

If you're looking for 4wd...look out for one that has not been used too much off road. See if it has a "freewheeling" option fitted, make sure the limited slip diff on the rear ale is working.....it should have a comlpete service history at 1 to 2 years old.. don't beleive the odeometer...look at the condition of the interior, bodywork etc and ask yourself if it is reasonable for the suggested mileage. Check for alignment on of the body pamnels...if the gaps aren't even then it may have been in an accident and the chassis or bulkheads may be out of wack.

PS - both vehicles are assembled in Chonburi province so parts should never be a problem!

Don't overlook a Nissan. The are low priced to start with and I think they are a very good truck. I have a Toyota and a Nissan. Both are 3.0 liter diesel. The Toyota is a four door four wheel drive and the Nissan is a two door extra cab. The Nissan gets over 13 kilometers per liter and the Toyota about 10. The Toyota feels heavy clumsy and underpowered except at highway speed. The Nissan is easier to drive and feels light and nimble with much more power. I LIKE my Nissan. :o

> I am trying to find out which is the best truck, the

> Mazda Fighter or Mitsubishi Strada.

Both good vehicles. Also you're looking at the Ford Ranger as it's the exact same vehicle as the Mazda with a different badge (and light units).

One thing I'll say about the Mazda/Ford is that the Turbo Diesel engine is rather thirsty, and suffers from 'no torque' at low revs. Mitsubishi probably has the more pleasant engine. That said though, Mazda/Ford also offer a 2900cc non-turbo engine that might be less thirsty and more torquey, while suffering from significantly less power for highway driving.

Personally I think I'd be looking at the later Toyota Tiger versions, the ones that have the modern D4D common rail engine. You might pay a tad more, but you will get that back when selling again. And there's just no arguing engine-wise, both the 2.5 and 3.0 liter engines are brilliant. (3.0 probaly over-kill for a regular pick-up, 2.5 is fine for those).

When buying a really old pick-up then I'd look into the older Mazda B2500 truck (or Ford Marathon, but there's not many of those). You can get very good extra cab models of those for like 220,000 - 250,000 or so I guess.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Hi Big Guns,

The last few weeks I have been visiting some car dealers, technically I would prefer Ford, toyota and chevrolet/isuzu. Resale value is highest for toyota and isuzu I believe.

Prices: isuzu most expensive, toyota and chevrolet about the same, ford cheaper.

Toyota only requires 10% down, chevrolet 15% but this can be up to the finance company.

I recently bougth a house in pack chong and thought it would be interesting to have a car dealer in the area, did see toyota and ford, not sure about the other dealers.

Glad to know there are a few falangs in pack chong

Hi Rono

There are quite a few motor dealerships in Pak Chong including; Toyota, Isuzu, Nissan, Ford and Honda. Personally I will buy a used motor rather than 2nd hand as I don't want the monthly payments/interest.

There are stacks of 2nd hand dealerships in Pak Chong and on the way to Korat. You can find dealerships for most brands in Korat. When I buy my pickup I'll get it in Bangkok as prices are a bit lower there.

Yes there are a few westerners in Pak Chong. My area seems to have turned into little Germany. There is a shortage of Brits in Pak Chong!

Hi Rono

There are quite a few motor dealerships in Pak Chong including; Toyota, Isuzu, Nissan, Ford and Honda. Personally I will buy a used motor rather than 2nd hand as I don't want the monthly payments/interest.

There are stacks of 2nd hand dealerships in Pak Chong and on the way to Korat. You can find dealerships for most brands in Korat. When I buy my pickup I'll get it in Bangkok as prices are a bit lower there.

Yes there are a few westerners in Pak Chong. My area seems to have turned into little Germany. There is a shortage of Brits in Pak Chong!

Hi BG, 4-5 years ago i bought a toyota second hand hilux, it has now over 250,000km, had the normal parts to replace, last year I bought a second hand isuzu for my wife, no problems so far.

I had a mitsu, sold it after a couple of months, this car was more in the garage than at my home.

I think its quite important to test drive it, maybe the local garage is a bit more expensive but you may get some kind of warranty from them..

I am not a brit, nor a german so will not disturb the balance.. :o