Can I Extend A Visa O Based On Marriage?

Hello,

I have a Non-O VISA and I got a 3-months permit of stay when arriving at the airport. Can I extend my permit of stay for 2 additional months based on my marriage?

My Non-O VISA is valid for 1 year, but my permit of stay is only for 3 months.

Thanks!

Edit: I know that standard tourist VISAS can get a 2-months extension based on marriage, but is this extension also available for a Non-O VISA with a permit of stay of 3 months?

Basically my question is: I am in Thailand for almost 3 months already and the end of my permit of stay is near, so I want to know if I need to leave Thailand now or if I can extend this permit of stay for 2 more months.

The reason why I can't apply for a 1-years extension (based on marriage) is because I don't have all the required documents. However I will have those documents within a month or two, so if I extend now for 2 more months, will I be able to apply within this period for a 1-year extension? even though I'd had a 2-months extension first?

Thanks again for the help!

PS to admin: I'm sorry I just figured out that I posted in the wrong forum, perhaps you could delete the other thread? http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/642159-can-i-extend-a-visa-o-based-on-marriage/ thanks!

Edited by paulsh

I was told in the Suratthani office that you could extend get a 60 day extension on any type of visa.

But different offices play by different rules !!

I should be able to get a 60 days extension at any immigration office (based on my marriage), my concern is if I will still be able to extend afterward for 1 year.

Of your non I is valid for one year then do a visa run and extend it for a further 3 months then when you have the required documents for a marriage visa, change the visa.

My Non-O VISA is a single-entry one, if I leave Thailand it will become invalid.

Edited by paulsh

You almost certainly can recurve a 60 day extension, but this won't be an extension on a Non-O.

Therefore you wouldn't be able to obtain a Marriage Visa.

Thanks for your reply. From my knowledge there is no such thing as "Marriage Visa", married people living here have a Non-O VISA with a 1 year extension based on marriage. I already have a Non-O VISA, I'm just not sure if it can be extended twice.

Why don't you ask at your nearest Immigration office ?

Because it's 2:50 AM and that I'd like to evaluate my options before going to the Immigration Office (and waiting an hour or more). As I know Thaivisa is a great and useful forum I though it would worth asking! :)

Why don't you ask at your nearest Immigration office ?

Because it's 2:50 AM and that I'd like to evaluate my options before going to the Immigration Office (and waiting an hour or more). As I know Thaivisa is a great and useful forum I though it would worth asking! smile.png

Not at 2.50am its not... Even the TV 'experts' sleep.

The Immigration mods seem to know a great deal but like you say, it's early in the morning.

You almost certainly can recurve a 60 day extension, but this won't be an extension on a Non-O.

Nonsense. Also, if one meets the financial requirements, and they time it properly, they can apply for an extension, their visa status, if necesary, will be adjusted as part of that process.

Edited by beechguy

Thanks for your reply. From my knowledge there is no such thing as "Marriage Visa", married people living here have a Non-O VISA with a 1 year extension based on marriage. I already have a Non-O VISA, I'm just not sure if it can be extended twice.

From my understanding, when you are issued with an extension of stay, it is not an extension of your Non-O Visa.

So I am led to believe that you can only get a years extension through marriage in the basis you already have a Non Imm O visa.

As mentioned go to the Immigration Office for further advice.

Nonsense.

Elaborate

Yes, but accurate. You really shouldn't post advice if you don't know what you are writing about.

Nonsense. Also, if one meets the financial requirements, and they time it properly, they can apply for an extension, their visa status, if necesary, will be adjusted as part of that process.

Hello beechguy, thanks for the info. So in my situation will I be able to extend my Non-O VISA twice? First for 2 months, and then for 1 year (once I have the required documents)?

Thank you!

You can do a 60 day extension based on you marriage, but since you have a multi-entry, it may be just as easy to do a border run and get another 90 day entry to get everything in order.

You can do a 60 day extension based on you marriage, but since you have a multi-entry, it may be just as easy to do a border run and get another 90 day entry to get everything in order.

I have a single-entry.

Read the posts, he only has a single entry !!

As I said, Immigration offices vary with their interpretation of the rules.

What info you receive on here might have no bearing on what you can actually do at your local office.

So best to ask them.

Just 1 other bit of useful info, as I found out the hard way. You can only do extensions in the province that your wife is registered in (as in house reg)

Good luck

Read the posts, he only has a single entry !!

As I said, Immigration offices vary with their interpretation of the rules.

What info you receive on here might have no bearing on what you can actually do at your local office.

So best to ask them.

Just 1 other bit of useful info, as I found out the hard way. You can only do extensions in the province that your wife is registered in (as in house reg)

Good luck

I ddi read his post. He said his visa is valid for one year, I have never seen a single entry valid for that long, usually 90 or even 180 days.

So, I'm not sure if he understands exactly what he has.

Edited by beechguy

I ddi read his post. He said his visa is valid for one year, I have never seen a single entry valid for that long, usually 90 or even 180 days.

So, I'm not sure if he understands exacly what he has.

My Non-O VISA is a single-entry and is valid for 1 year. The permit of stay is something else, and is not the same as the visa validity.

Looks like I actually know more than you guys, I'm really disappointed :(

Everyone has there own opinion it seems.

An extension to stay, is not an extension of the Non - O visa.

It is an extension of 60 days to remain in the country on the basis you have a thai spouse.

Once those 60 days are up as I have been told (I'm married to a thai lady and we have a child just thought I'd mention) it cannot be further extended on basis of marriage as your Non-O has already expired.

Either way if you get in a pickle there are companies you can pay who will sort it all out for you.

My Non-O VISA is a single-entry and is valid for 1 year. The permit of stay is something else, and is not the same as the visa validity.

Looks like I actually know more than you guys, I'm really disappointed sad.png

Actually, I don't think you do. I quite well know the difference between a visa, a permission to stay, and extension. My confusion, is that I don't recall ever hearing of a single entry visa being valid for more than 90 days from the issue date.

Looks like I actually know more than you guys, I'm really disappointed :(

Everyone has there own opinion it seems.

An extension to stay, is not an extension of the Non - O visa.

It is an extension of 60 days to remain in the country on the basis you have a thai spouse.

Once those 60 days are up as I have been told (I'm married to a thai lady and we have a child just thought I'd mention) it cannot be further extended on basis of marriage as your Non-O has already expired.

Either way if you get in a pickle there are companies you can pay who will sort it all out for you.

Looks like I actually know more than you guys, I'm really disappointed Posted Image

Actually, I don't think you do. I quite well know the difference between a visa, a permission to stay, and extension. My confusion, is that I don't recall ever hearing of a single entry visa being valid for more than 90 days from the issue date.

I think he means its valid for a year.

Visa validity is now irrelevant. He has entered the country already.

Now you have a 90 day permission to stay.

This can be extended for 60 days based on marriage.

However, whether it can then be extended again for the full year once you have the required docs is the un answered question ?

I only know that in the Surat office, they told me that only 1 extension was possible per entry. But I wasn't asking about a year extension, just another 60 day.

So, again, go ask your local office :)

However, whether it can then be extended again for the full year once you have the required docs is the un answered question ?

I only know that in the Surat office, they told me that only 1 extension was possible per entry. But I wasn't asking about a year extension, just another 60 day.

So, again, go ask your local office smile.png

I agree with asking the particular office what they will, or will not do. Many of the smaller offices have to pass applications to a higher authority, so the law will be applied to their interpretation. Bangkok, overall seems to be easier to deal with than some of the smaller offices.

So, again, go ask your local office smile.png

I agree with asking the particular office what they will, or will not do. Many of the smaller offices have to pass applications to a higher authority, so the law will be applied to their interpretation. Bangkok, overall seems to be easier to deal with than some of the smaller offices.

If his wifes home address is in the BKK area.

Otherwise, he has to have the extension done in her home province.

Why, who knows ???

Question asked:

1. Can he receive a 60 day extension based on marriage?

The answer is yes. Providing he has the right documents.

2. Can he then extend it further?

My answer is no. He has a single entry Non-O which can be extended only one time.

As said go ask your local Immigration Office.