Thai Govt Threatens Action Against Masked Facebook Users

webfact

Govt threatens action against masked FB users
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Pheu Thai Party threatened yesterday to trace and take legal action against Facebook users with profile photos of the Guy Fawkes white mask for attacking the government and former prime minister and de-facto party leader Thaksin Shinawatra.

Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit said he and party legal experts would meet today to discuss legal action against the Facebook users, who use the white mask from the Hollywood movie 'V for Vendetta' as their profile photo.

However, an information technology legal expert, Paiboon Amornpinyokiat, said expressing one's political view or stance through a statement or posting symbolic photos were not in violation of either criminal laws or the Computer Crimes Act - as long as the statement or images were not false, contrary to others' interests, or slandered others.

Prompong said the government believed the group belonged to the same team that defaced the PM's Office website recently with derogatory messages.

On Saturday, the FB users posted a message that said: "The people's army has awakened. We pronounce here that we will bring down and eradicate the Thaksin regime from Thailand."

This message was posted repeatedly on websites of the Ministry of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and the Facebook pages of Thaksin, his sister PM Yingluck Shinawatra, his son Panthongtae "Oak" Shinawatra, and the Government House website Thai Khu Fah.

The "V mask" photo was widely used by Facebook users to protest against Channel 3's move to block the final episode of its Nuamek TV drama series early this year.

Not long after the message was posted on the Pheu Thai website, a user with the title of Thaksin and his photo in the profile, posted a message attacking party members for being "idiots" to allow the derogatory messages to be posted. But the post by "Thaksin" was later removed.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-27

RELATED TOPIC:
Facebook Users Join Anti-Govt Campaign

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit said he and party legal experts would meet today to discuss legal action against the Facebook users, who use the white mask from the Hollywood movie 'V for Vendetta' as their profile photo.

Maybe they can all be charged with copyright offences.

If that fails, I'm sure the BIB can get them for littering.

Hacking a facebook or other account is wrong, and should be considered a criminal act, this regardless who's account it is

hacking a facebook account and putting hurtful, disgusting, comments on it is wrong and should be considered a criminal act

Think if it was your facebook account or your wife's or daughters account and horrible things were put on it, I challenge you to support anyone who hacks peoples accounts then!!! I THINK NOT

we have a right to express views but hacking accounts is wrong...

• Like 1

Hacking a facebook or other account is wrong, and should be considered a criminal act, this regardless who's account it is

hacking a facebook account and putting hurtful, disgusting, comments on it is wrong and should be considered a criminal act

Think if it was your facebook account or your wife's or daughters account and horrible things were put on it, I challenge you to support anyone who hacks peoples accounts then!!! I THINK NOT

Hacking ? Did you actually read the article ?

It is nice to see that there are more and more people out there that are no longer willing to be spoonfed the daily Government crap.

And it is very interesting to watch the reaction of this cartoon Government to that.

• Like 2

You didn't even bother to read the article it appears.

It is nice to see that there are more and more people out there that are no longer willing to be spoonfed the daily Government crap.

And it is very interesting to watch the reaction of this cartoon Government to that.

A time of showing true faces, on both sides...

The maipenrai era is near to it's end.

Edited by rubberduck
  • Like 1

You didn't even bother to read the article it appears.

Seems to be a Thai lady with a short but pretty weird topic history. whistling.gif

Dream on!

This mai pen rai- era will be replaced by another mai pen rai- era...and another...and another.

Dream on!

This mai pen rai- era will be replaced by another mai pen rai- era...and another...and another.

hahahehehurrrrrrp

Pheu Thai Party threatened yesterday to trace and take legal action against Facebook users with profile photos of the Guy Fawkes white mask for attacking the government and former prime minister and de-facto party leader Thaksin Shinawatra.

And I thought he was a convicted criminal. He is the De Facto leader.

Is the spokesperson for the PTP government ethical? PTP only talk about ethics or democracy when they have to act like they had ethics, or morality at one time or another. PTP = No Ethics, No Morals, plenty of corruption.

They have a right to protest.

However, the choice of Guido Fawkes as an outlet for this is ridiculous and shows their total ignorance of what he did and why he did it. He was a terrorist, a minor player as part of a silly bunch of upper class English RC plotters who who tried to commit regicide and failed.

Edited by trompelemonde

They have a right to protest.

However, the choice of Guido Fawkes as an outlet for this is ridiculous and shows their total ignorance of what he did and why he did it. He was a terrorist, a minor player as part of a silly bunch of upper class English RC plotters who who tried to commit regicide and failed.

Sounds like its more suited to be the icon of PTP... is that why they are so pissed?

I don't really understand why this article focuses so much on their avatars.

Are they not aware of the history of that mask on the internet?

Indeed, if their security isn't even strong enough to keep a hacker from Songkla University out, I would think a story like this could have "anonymous's" ears twitching.

• Like 1