Passport For Rail Ticket!

bobl

Just read on a fb group, that they now require a passport (or ID card for a Thai national) before they'll sell you a rail ticket. New rules from 16th May.

How bizarre. I wonder what genius bureaucrat thought that one up.

Likely concerned about terrorism.

Oh, right. I feel so much safer knowing the bureaucrats are on the case. Don't sell a rail ticket without seeing an ID, that'll stop 'em in their tracks (pun intended)

I don't want Facebook to become the accepted source for information.

Do it at you're peril.

I'm pretty sure there's only one person who cares what you want Facebook to become.

And having been involved with social media in one form or another for 30+ years I don't need your advice on the need for fact checking (for example, starting this thread to see if anyone can confirm or deny).

• Like 1

Rumor talk at present until reliable source can confirm.

The rail company themselves reliable enough?

http://www.railway.co.th/home/srt/passenger/ticket.asp

Few months ago they killed their online booking. Now they require ID. I wonder what their agenda is... I wouldn't be in the least surprised to discover that these two moves were the first steps toward a tiered pricing system where foreigners pay more.

I don't want Facebook to become the accepted source for information.

Do it at you're peril.

You feel that ThaiVisa is more accurate? smile.png

Even Wikipedia makes obvious errors and factcheck (et.al.) are no help, because they gloss over political mistakes.

Few months ago they killed their online booking. Now they require ID. I wonder what their agenda is... I wouldn't be in the least surprised to discover that these two moves were the first steps toward a tiered pricing system where foreigners pay more.

What constitutes ID I have used my Canadian drivers license at road checks when I was going to My Hong Son now I carry a laminated copy of my pass port with me. Works fine for me.

What constitutes ID I have used my Canadian drivers license at road checks when I was going to My Hong Son now I carry a laminated copy of my pass port with me. Works fine for me.

According to the website the ID they require (of a foreigner) is "passport". That said, what they'll accept (if they enforce it at all) probably depends on how much of a jobsworth whoever's behind the particular ticket window you go to is, would be my guess, knowing TiT where everybody from the cleaning lady up, seems to get to 'interpret' the rules and enforce their interpretation.

It looks as if they are only talking from Bangkok.

Effective from 16 May 2556 onwards. booking train tickets must show ID cards or
Documents with identification number. Or in case of a foreign passport. To record the identification number (13 digit number).
Or passport number. And the names of all the passengers into the passenger seat , except for the third floor, the purchase dates.
Station that can pick up on the caller identification.
First. Bangkok, Samsen, Bang Sue Junction 1, 2, Bang Khen, Lak Si, Don Mueang and Rangsit.
Two. Rail, river, Klong Tan, Hua Mak, Ban Thap Chang, and Lat Krabang, Bangkok crocodile head.
Three. Buri, Bumru, Taling Chan Junction, Tamasop and Salaya Pavilion.
Four. Circle and Taladplue.
When passengers buy train ticket should check the date / month / year, the source, destination and number of stations.

That computer ignorants better pay more attention on getting a mature website because when you click on 'english' all that changes is the menu. ifQdCt0mkxHHs.gif