American And Fluent In Thai, Can I Get A Job Besides Teaching?

Hey, I'm an American, but my mom is Thai, so I can speak Thai more or less fluently. I've got a degree in aerospace engineering, and 1.5 years experience teaching English in Taiwan.

Does anyone know if being able to speak Thai will give me a leg up in finding a non-teaching job in Thailand?

I'm teaching in Taiwan now, and considering a move to Thailand in a couple months.

Thanks!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With an aeronautical engineering qualification why don't you sober up and forget Thailand while you build the foundations of a proper career?

Mainly because I tried applying to jobs in the states for over a year after I graduated and didn't get anywhere. Very few companies seemed to have any interest in hiring people straight out of college with no experience. I thought maybe I'd have more of an advantage in Thailand, being able to speak Thai and English.

With an aeronautical engineering qualification why don't you sober up and forget Thailand while you build the foundations of a proper career?

Mainly because I tried applying to jobs in the states for over a year after I graduated and didn't get anywhere. Very few companies seemed to have any interest in hiring people straight out of college with no experience. I thought maybe I'd have more of an advantage in Thailand, being able to speak Thai and English.
That pathway a dead end. If you have mathematical and logical reasoning skills which, you should have, and these are valued, you might try doing a masters in say international trade and shipping and get a job with an international company that has exposure to Thailand. Then your language skills come into play.

This is absurd, a man with a high science engineering degree, a Thai pp.holder (or potentially) needs farang help.to find any sort of job - bar teaching.

3 posts, Im calling troll on this one.

Engineers making 80k to start in western countries.

Your training and education will.be worthless if you come here AND if you are not properly employed in a year or two.

Good luck!

That pathway a dead end. If you have mathematical and logical reasoning skills which, you should have, and these are valued, you might try doing a masters in say international trade and shipping and get a job with an international company that has exposure to Thailand. Then your language skills come into play.

Ok, thanks for that, it's definitely something I will start to look into.

This is absurd, a man with a high science engineering degree, a Thai pp.holder (or potentially) needs farang help.to find any sort of job - bar teaching.

3 posts, Im calling troll on this one.

Engineers making 80k to start in western countries.

Your training and education will.be worthless if you come here AND if you are not properly employed in a year or two.

Good luck!

I'm not trolling, I'm just finishing up my teaching contract in Taiwan soon and looking for options to get me out of teaching. I made a new account here to find out more info. I don't have a Thai passport, and I don't want to get one now because a year in the Thai army isn't what I had in mind for a new career :P

I realize my training will be worthless if I am not properly employed soon, which is why I'm trying to find a way in to the engineering field.

Ok, thanks for that, it's definitely something I will start to look into.
Be careful if/where you do a masters and note that costs can be expensive. You might try Hong Kong where you could pick up some lang teaching for support on the side.

Fair enough. I am simply bewildered that with your degree you cannot find work in Engineering. Surely areospace must encompass mechanical, electrical, chemical, fluid dynamics and even civil Engineering. I cannot think of a better degree for employment today than what you are holding.

You could simply enter teaching maths and sciences in the USs best zipcodes for 60k and a great package

Edited by bangkokburning

Aeronautics degree, Christ mate are you dinkum, slip down to Singapore ,if you really must come to Asia, Hong Kong has to much air pollution, you've got all the big players in the airline industry at Singapore, I'd stay where you are meself.

Have you looked at Jobs DB?

The key is to decide what you want to do. Are you interested in aerodynamics or... or... then start looking for that. What was your favourite subject? etc. etc..

Have you analysed why after 1.5 years you couldn't get a job in the USA? That seems hard to believe that their are no jobs at all.

Send you resume to all the F1 teams? Joking but...

Even if you are completely dumbstruck, get your resume out to a bunch of headhunters.

As for work, you can start with all the airlines in Bangkok, Kuala Lampur, Singapore and HKG.

Then there are the shipping ports of SIN and HKG which use all sorts of technology.

What about MENA? OIL!!

Youve already blown a year teaching. Do that agsin and you will be unemployable. At least if you came to Thailamd you could have daid it was to get back to your roots.

You are on thin ice imo knowing the US labor market. Get back to US and someone light a fire under your ass son.

Edited by bangkokburning

Fair enough. I am simply bewildered that with your degree you cannot find work in Engineering. Surely areospace must encompass mechanical, electrical, chemical, fluid dynamics and even civil Engineering. I cannot think of a better degree for employment today than what you are holding.

You could simply enter teaching maths and sciences in the USs best zipcodes for 60k and a great package

I'm afraid it's not as easy as everyone thinks. A lot of people (my Dad included) seem to think that if you have some kind of technical degree that people will just be throwing jobs at you. It's simply not the case. You're right, aerospace does have a lot of mechanical engineering, fluid dynamics and a bit of electrical in it, but no one is going to hire a guy with an aero degree for an electrical or civil engineering job unless they somehow have some prior experience in those fields.

A lot of my graduating class is either still unemployed or doing jobs completely unrelated engineering. There just simply aren't enough entry level jobs out there for the number of engineering students graduating every year.

I cannot believe that someone with an aerospace engineering degree needs help to find work. Keep teaching English until you figure it out.

I came here looking for some advice, not condescension. I doubt you have any idea what its like for entry level engineers right now. Take a look at the first line of commande's post just above this one.

I'm afraid it's not as easy as everyone thinks. A lot of people (my Dad included) seem to think that if you have some kind of technical degree that people will just be throwing jobs at you. It's simply not the case. You're right, aerospace does have a lot of mechanical engineering, fluid dynamics and a bit of electrical in it, but no one is going to hire a guy with an aero degree for an electrical or civil engineering job unless they somehow have some prior experience in those fields.

A lot of my graduating class is either still unemployed or doing jobs completely unrelated engineering. There just simply aren't enough entry level jobs out there for the number of engineering students graduating every year.

>I cannot believe that someone with an aerospace engineering degree needs help to find work. Keep teaching English until you figure it out.

I came here looking for some advice, not condescension. I doubt you have any idea what its like for entry level engineers right now. Take a look at the first line of commande's post just above this one.

You do not say how old you are?

There are ways of getting out of the conscription lottery. Just do not speak Thai in the interview (or very ,very little) the interviewer will be disgusted but will sign you off as a no go.. happened to a mate of mine.. if you want more info i can put you intouch.

Being your from the USA I'm not surprised your unemployed, lot of Engineers of every type are unemployed as only the ones with high levels of experience are being retained. In Asia as well as anywhere else in the world you will find it almost impossible to get work with your degree because you have no work experience.

I recommend you go back to the USA and start looking for volunteer jobs with companies within the Engineering space, this seems to be a new trend in college grads obtaining employment in the USA. You live with family, volunteer and hope your selected with all the others doing the same thing. Nothing else it's something to put on your resume to build experience of which you have none at this time, it's makes you marketable which right now your really not and shows to employers that you want to be an engineer and not just some guy looking for a job; separates you from the crowd. Lot of educated people in the USA, lot of Engineer graduates to. I have an Engineering Degree and a Masters in International Business to include over 20 years experience; I'm only 40 now (finished my MBA when I was 20 and was employed at 20 with an engineering company). I live in Thailand and there is not a person here that would even think about giving me a job in my field of experience because they automatically assume I cost to much AND yes they are absolutely right. I am not going to work for 80-100k baht per month when I was making over 200k USD a year in the states before semi-retiring here in Thailand.

You need to stop teaching, go home and try to get into your field, you keep teaching and your dooming yourself and wasting your education that good money was spent on. Just my opinion and advise, it won't be easy but it's worth it, sounds like your still young. You either start off the right way in life or life will leave you behind. Your choices are CRITICAL during this stage of your life, they will make the rest of your life.

FYI - I will not even stay in Thailand forever, I am actually waiting to return to the USA in about a month as I took a job in Florida. I only came here for a short break and my wife is Thai so it was good for both of us. Don't stop trying, get out there and develop yourself!!!

Thanks, this seems like pretty solid advice. I have to admit going back to the US for work doesn't seem very appealing to me, but maybe I have no choice and have to do that to get a foothold in engineering before it's too late.

Funny though, I actually wouldn't mind work for 80 - 100k in Thailand though.

>I cannot believe that someone with an aerospace engineering degree needs help to find work. Keep teaching English until you figure i

t out.

You do not say how old you are?

There are ways of getting out of the conscription lottery. Just do not speak Thai in the interview (or very ,very little) the interviewer will be disgusted but will sign you off as a no go.. happened to a mate of mine.. if you want more info i can put you intouch.

I'm 25 at the moment, I think I become ineligible for conscription at 30 or 35. Sounds like an interesting idea from your friend, I thought about that once but wasn't sure if that would cut it. If you could PM me some way to get in touch with your friend, that'd be great.

I know you can buy your way out of the lottery too, but I think that can be fairly expensive.

I would forget engineering as a career in Thailand. There are thousands of Thai speaking graduates who will work for next to nothing because the market is over saturated with them. Nearly half of my graduating students went into engineering schools last year. I don't know how they got in as several of them couldn't pass their school science and maths exams! But somehow they will manage to get an engineering degree. And even if they could/would employ you as a foreigner, they know you will cost more than a Thai graduate (yet there are hundreds of Thai graduates to choose from). I think you can understand their situation. Even international companies are employing english speaking Thais (who graduated overseas), because they are cheaper too.

You could teach science/maths in a high school english program here - plenty of demand, especially for Physics/Chemistry in upper high school. Either that, or return home and try to get your career going....or do a teaching qualification and work for a higher paying international school here.

Thailand has a shortage of engineers... While it may be true that for expats positions they are only looking for those with a lot of experience, there are plenty of entry level positions available for Thai nationals ...

Which if your mom is Thai , that's you...

Would recommend getting your Thai passport and then coming in and getting a job as a Thai

Just did a job search on Jobs DB for Engineer and looks like there are 2768 job listings

http://th.jobsdb.com/th/jobs/engineering/1

Speaking Thai helps... Reading Thai helps even more, but the thing that would help you the most is your Thai Passport

I would guess that the risk of Army service is relatively low and if it came down to you it, you could always pick up and move back over seas if you wanted to in a couple of years

Even if you have a Thai passport, living overseas is a valid reason not to show up for the draft

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I have read these posts and I just have to say that some of you are way out of touch as to what the jobs situation is in the USA. The U.S. Government jobs statistics are fantasyland. There are millions of people in 'hard core unemployment' status and are not actively looking for work. Plus there are millions in all categories looking for work. The unemployment rate is much higher than reported. People who just graduated and people over age 55 are having great difficulty finding jobs in many categories.

If you are an American and have recently found a professional job in the U.S. then consider yourself lucky. And please remember anecdotal stories about jobs in America only reflect one person's experience - not statistical reports.

OP finding work in Thailand may be difficult going on what has been posted. I can only recommend Texas where there are many aerospace related jobs - how many openings - I don't know. I have seen Lockheed Martin advertise for Intern type jobs.

• Like 1

A masters in aerospace at Cranfield University is an option. (subject to grades achieved in your first degree)

Why that university in particular?

Aeronautics is part of its DNA, is post-grad only and linked to serious industry players.

You wouldn't be offered 80-100k in Thailand (by the way that is BAHT not USD per month), that is executive pay for a Thai national in his 50's, you would probably only be offered around 25-35k baht per month (in Bangkok, lets see that's what, 860-1200 US Dollars) and that is if you come to work here as a Thai citizen. Forget it as a US passport holder unless you get a job with a major MNC and you won't be hired here by them, you will be hired in another country and transferred here to work. Believe me when I say the line is years long for people waiting to be transferred to Thailand that work for a major MNC.

Seriously though, don't waste your talent, Thailand isn't going anywhere nor is it going to change anytime soon. It is hard to get a job in the USA but if you volunteer, apply for interns you will get a break. It's not going to be easy but you don't develop your education talents now while your young and you stay overseas in Asia you are permanently damaging your future of ever being a highly rated and qualified engineer much less ever getting a job earning a middle income salary. The economy will return, you have to be ready as the number of new graduates every year is not going down in the USA, you will be competing with them in the future.

Asia has it's draw, lot of people go broke here and or lose their minds; for many it's living in fantasy land till the money runs out and then they are screwed. Go home get a job, make some money and then you can visit Asia every year on your vacations and like a lot of people maybe even find the MNC that will transfer you to Thailand for work making an EXPAT salary and maybe in the future retire somewhere in Asia. Right now you don't even have the prospects of doing that. Remember, LONG TERM VISION, PLAN LONG TERM. No plan generally = disaster long term.

There is one last thing I want to add. I understand that your mom is Thai and yes this does allow you to get a Thai Citizenship and Passport. This can be a good thing but not for work. You will never be treated as a Thai even if you speak Thai because if you grew up mostly in the USA you will be seen as a Falang Thai Baby. You wont get the same respect or treatment as a Thai born and raised in Thailand. It's just the way it is here, Thailand is very xenophobic in some ways and very nationalistic, you might be half Thai but that doesn't make you Thai to them...

Edited by commande
  • Like 1

I would take everyone's advice into consideration. But for a young guy, I wouldn't give up too easily, and I doubt some of these guys have any real connection to aviation. You probably won't make very much money to start, but there are companies like Triumph Aviation, they have a facility near Chonburi, as well as the U.S. Not to mention, several airlines have posted openings on jobsdb.com, look at tranportation & logistics, under airline, and aviation services. For aviation specific jobs at other locations, look at avianation.com, and jsfirm.com.

Edited by beechguy

Thailand has a shortage of engineers... While it may be true that for expats positions they are only looking for those with a lot of experience, there are plenty of entry level positions available for Thai nationals ...

Which if your mom is Thai , that's you...

Would recommend getting your Thai passport and then coming in and getting a job as a Thai

Just did a job search on Jobs DB for Engineer and looks like there are 2768 job listings

http://th.jobsdb.com/th/jobs/engineering/1

Speaking Thai helps... Reading Thai helps even more, but the thing that would help you the most is your Thai Passport

I would guess that the risk of Army service is relatively low and if it came down to you it, you could always pick up and move back over seas if you wanted to in a couple of years

Even if you have a Thai passport, living overseas is a valid reason not to show up for the draft

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Alright, I will look into jobsdb as well, thanks for that. My only concern I guess about going with the Thai national route is getting much lower pay, but it's worth looking into.

You wouldn't be offered 80-100k in Thailand (by the way that is BAHT not USD per month), that is executive pay for a Thai national in his 50's, you would probably only be offered around 25-35k baht per month (in Bangkok, lets see that's what, 860-1200 US Dollars) and that is if you come to work here as a Thai citizen. Forget it as a US passport holder unless you get a job with a major MNC and you won't be hired here by them, you will be hired in another country and transferred here to work. Believe me when I say the line is years long for people waiting to be transferred to Thailand that work for a major MNC.

Seriously though, don't waste your talent, Thailand isn't going anywhere nor is it going to change anytime soon. It is hard to get a job in the USA but if you volunteer, apply for interns you will get a break. It's not going to be easy but you don't develop your education talents now while your young and you stay overseas in Asia you are permanently damaging your future of ever being a highly rated and qualified engineer much less ever getting a job earning a middle income salary. The economy will return, you have to be ready as the number of new graduates every year is not going down in the USA, you will be competing with them in the future.

Asia has it's draw, lot of people go broke here and or lose their minds; for many it's living in fantasy land till the money runs out and then they are screwed. Go home get a job, make some money and then you can visit Asia every year on your vacations and like a lot of people maybe even find the MNC that will transfer you to Thailand for work making an EXPAT salary and maybe in the future retire somewhere in Asia. Right now you don't even have the prospects of doing that. Remember, LONG TERM VISION, PLAN LONG TERM. No plan generally = disaster long term.

There is one last thing I want to add. I understand that your mom is Thai and yes this does allow you to get a Thai Citizenship and Passport. This can be a good thing but not for work. You will never be treated as a Thai even if you speak Thai because if you grew up mostly in the USA you will be seen as a Falang Thai Baby. You wont get the same respect or treatment as a Thai born and raised in Thailand. It's just the way it is here, Thailand is very xenophobic in some ways and very nationalistic, you might be half Thai but that doesn't make you Thai to them...

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Looks like I have some big decisions to make now to shape my future blink.png I will definitely look into some kind of volunteer engineering work back home and see what's available.

As for not fitting quite in in Thailand, I've definitely felt that before, but not quite to the extent you're describing. I can manage to get the Thai prices for most things, except taxi cabs. No matter how perfect my Thai is when I speak to cab drivers, a good number of them still refuse to turn on their meters for me. I told me cousins about this, and they were all shocked since nothing like that had ever happened to them haha.

I have read these posts and I just have to say that some of you are way out of touch as to what the jobs situation is in the USA. The U.S. Government jobs statistics are fantasyland. There are millions of people in 'hard core unemployment' status and are not actively looking for work. Plus there are millions in all categories looking for work. The unemployment rate is much higher than reported. People who just graduated and people over age 55 are having great difficulty finding jobs in many categories.

If you are an American and have recently found a professional job in the U.S. then consider yourself lucky. And please remember anecdotal stories about jobs in America only reflect one person's experience - not statistical reports.

OP finding work in Thailand may be difficult going on what has been posted. I can only recommend Texas where there are many aerospace related jobs - how many openings - I don't know. I have seen Lockheed Martin advertise for Intern type jobs.

Thanks for this, I was beginning to think no one was going to believe me at first! I'll try applying to Lockheed again now. I applied to every Lockheed, Boeing, and Northrop Grumman position that I could when I graduated, but maybe I'll have better luck this time around.

I would take everyone's advice into consideration. But for a young guy, I wouldn't give up too easily, and I doubt some of these guys have any real connection to aviation. You probably won't make very much money to start, but there are companies like Triumph Aviation, they have a facility near Chonburi, as well as the U.S. Not to mention, several airlines have posted openings on jobsdb.com, look at tranportation & logistics, under airline, and aviation services. For aviation specific jobs at other locations, look at avianation.com, and jsfirm.com.

Thanks, I'll take a look at those sites. I was also thinking of applying to Thai Airways' pilot program as one idea for a job. I'm not sure if my not being able to read Thai will be a deal breaker with them though.

One of the things I have observed in Thailand is that so many young/younger foreigners wait until the advice they have requested chimes in with whatever they have already decided to do anyway. And that their little head rather than their bigger head is the one really dictating the order of play. 9 times out of 10 there is a girl in tow.