F1 Noise Should Not Have Much Impact To Sites Along Bangkok Race Circuit: Pollution Control Dept

webfact

At the moment there is a massive problem in F1 with tyre wear. How long will a set of tyres last on Bangkok streets? Or the cars shake themselves to bits. The drivers have a committee that is concerned with track safety. It will be interesting to see if Thailand can satisfy them regarding suitability.

Well, I am currently on the last day of an 18-day holiday to the UK. I have just showed my niece this piece and invited her comments as she has worked for the Mclaren F1 team for the past 13 years as one of their scheduling managers.

It might not come as a surprise to most of you that, guess what...Mclaren have heard precisely nothing about any planned Bangkok F1 calender entry for 2015, or indeed any year in the near future.

Make of that what you will...

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well, I am currently on the last day of an 18-day holiday to the UK. I have just showed my niece this piece and invited her comments as she has worked for the Mclaren F1 team for the past 13 years as one of their scheduling managers.

It might not come as a surprise to most of you that, guess what...Mclaren have heard precisely nothing about any planned Bangkok F1 calender entry for 2015, or indeed any year in the near future.

Make of that what you will...

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I suppose it's just the way of things here. It's more important that things are announced than that they happen.

• Like 2

I know this is bad but I just couldn't help but crease up with laughter at the topic re---noise and pollution department. OK but who is running this ??? it must be one of the most demanding jobs in the land.

Does anyone look into their performance. ???

The cars will have to run so slow on the bumpy roads here that they won't ever get anywhere near top speed.

Even on elevated roads like the expressways where they've laid tarmac on concrete, so there's no issue of the road settling, etc., the roads are impressively bumpy by European standards.

As for the vibration from the cars affecting nearby buildings - surely the lack of other traffic while they've got the roads closed will offset that, at least partially. Even with down-force, F1 cars are a lot lighter than a fully-laden 14-wheeler.

These folks have obviously never been to a F1 race, specifically a F1 street race. I have and I can attest to the fact that the shrill of 20 F1 engines turning 18,000+ rpm is enough to cause physical pain and reduce a person to quivering jelly without ear protection.

These folks have obviously never been to a F1 race, specifically a F1 street race. I have and I can attest to the fact that the shrill of 20 F1 engines turning 18,000+ rpm is enough to cause physical pain and reduce a person to quivering jelly without ear protection.

"without ear protection."

Never mind there will be ear medication available.

With the Thai love of noise I wonder if the F1 cars would be drowned out by Bkk's ambient sounds ?

The Roosters, Bar music and women shouting to each other will certainly drown out any F1 noise

I think it might take at least ten days to prep the course, so traffic would be impacted for at least two weeks, assuming it takes as little as four days to dismantle the track prep?

And the noise will impact patients at Sriraraj Hospital. Clearly this wasn't thought through, employing the time-honored technique here of floating half-a$$ed ideas in order to identify obstacles and opponents.

Fearless Prediction: F1 Circus creates 'mother of all traffic jams'.

I know this is bad but I just couldn't help but crease up with laughter at the topic re---noise and pollution department. OK but who is running this ??? it must be one of the most demanding jobs in the land.

Does anyone look into their performance. ???

Check the other paper for a current article on the appalling case of Klity Creek and what the Pollution Control Department did. Short version: bugger all.

I am guessing that these whole fantasy of an F1 in Bangkok went something like this:

Someone had a discussion with the FIA about the possibility of Bangkok being used as an F1 venue. The story leaks or is presented to the media as "Bangkok in the running for F1" FIA then comes back saying something like "don't be silly".

Subsequently various Thai ministers get some air time blowing smoke about noise and air pollution and possible building damage.

Next headline will be that Thailand rejects the possibility of having an F1 race in Bangkok due to the risks.

Face saved

• Like 1

"The proposed 5.995-kilometre circuit would start at the Royal Thai Navy Dockyard at Ratchaworadit Pier and pass such landmarks as the Grand Palace, the Royal Plaza, Democracy Monument and the Temple of Dawn."

Temple of dawn - Wat Arun.

Does The Nation's writer have any idea of the distance between Wat Arun, The Royal Thai Navy Dockyard in Bangkok Yai (Thonburi) and The Royal Plaza, or will the race be a tour of the monuments of Bangkok.

Closing off the Pinklao bridge will also be a popular move as well as buzzing Sirirat Hospital.

This race should never be allowed to happen at this location.

post-9891-0-98291900-1369840198_thumb.jp

I know when i went to my 1st f1 race i never expected it to be as loud as it was. These cars are incredably loud. No other motor racing iv been to can come close. It physically hurts your ears if you dont have ear plugs. I only lasted 2 laps before i had to run off and buy over priced ear plugs.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

the funniest part of this article is Thailand actually has a Pollution Control Department!!

i assume they dont have any staff! (as i see absolutely NO EFFORT AT ALL to reduce pollution in bangkok).

or was this a joke?

seriously? what do the people who work at the Pollution Department actually do every day??????? !!!!!

i would love to speak with them about this

• 2 weeks later...

It's off due to the well publicisedrolleyes.gif law by the Bangkok Metropolitan Authority banning car racing in Historic Sites introduced on May 16th, date of this article May 28thgiggle.gif

Edited by kartman

who cares about F1? a stupid race when most of the time ends up in a parade procession

I am sure Thailand and it;s people have more pressing needs than spending time money

and effort on a sport they do not give a give hoot about

Over 350 million people watch each and every race, no matter where it is held around the world. So I would say a lot of people care about it.

"The proposed 5.995-kilometre circuit would start at the Royal Thai Navy Dockyard at Ratchaworadit Pier and pass such landmarks as the Grand Palace, the Royal Plaza, Democracy Monument and the Temple of Dawn."

Temple of dawn - Wat Arun.

Does The Nation's writer have any idea of the distance between Wat Arun, The Royal Thai Navy Dockyard in Bangkok Yai (Thonburi) and The Royal Plaza, or will the race be a tour of the monuments of Bangkok.

Closing off the Pinklao bridge will also be a popular move as well as buzzing Sirirat Hospital.

This race should never be allowed to happen at this location.

attachicon.gifF1 GP.jpg

If you have watched F1 races, you will have noticed that many of the TV images are from helicopter and blimp which should show off Wat Arun and the river very well and I doubt the cars will be louder at Siriraj hospital than the long-tailed boats that ply the Chao Phraya River every day. Rama IX Bridge and the Krung Thong Bridge can take care of weekend traffic that can't use PinKlao Bridge. PinKlao Bridge gets closed for the Royal Barge Procession with no complaints.

who cares about F1? a stupid race when most of the time ends up in a parade procession

I am sure Thailand and it;s people have more pressing needs than spending time money

and effort on a sport they do not give a give hoot about

Over 350 million people watch each and every race, no matter where it is held around the world. So I would say a lot of people care about it.

It won't happen.

Bernie loves to play race bidders off against each other. He always makes sure there are two or three more bidders than places available and he will use the carrot and stick approach to keep them interested. He says he only wants a night race and realistically Bangkok is not suitable to racing in the daytime let alone at night....very few cities are and it certainly isn't a Monaco or even a Singapore.