Finding Shops That Sell Chain Lube And Cleaner

Zzinged

Where do you guys go to get your supplies? Panda Rider is out of chain cleaner until sometime next month. Red Baron sells chain wax only. DrBike only has chain lube. Anyone know of a place where I can get all the things I need without having to run around?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superlube at HomePro.

Its a tube of grease that can be kept under most seats.

Chiang Rai saddlebags can send you a can of Veloil for 100 baht. If your in CNX i know where to get it for 80, let me know.

I second the WD-40, Sonax &Filtex as chain cleaner.

• Like 1

I use WD40 as the chain cleaner -it's cheap and very effective. Better to have a bike stand though so the rear tire is off the ground so you can spin it slowly.

Kawasaki and Honda sell the chain wax / oil. They all work effectively well especially if you maintain cleaning and lubricating your chain every 600-100klm as is normally recommended by most bike manuals.

Edited by commande

As WD-40 is a solvent is it detrimental to the life span of an O-Ring chain when used as a cleaner ?

No, in fact it's safe for rubber O-Ring Chains and is also a lubricant, you get it on your rubber tires and it won't eat the rubber either, it melts away grease and other dirt really well to smile.png.... Has to be one of the best multi-purpose sprays on the planet and the price even in Thailand is really unbeatable given it's an import produced from the USA but possibly manufactured in other countries as well...

I think the largest can would cost you under 200 baht and last you a year as long as you don't go crazy spraying to much on the chain while cleaning it regularly. Of course depends on how much you ride, I generally get about 10 cleanings out of a can, clean and oil my chain about every 1000km or so.

Edited by commande
  • Like 1

ive tried all the stuff available at Lotus Sonax, Filtex, Lotus version of Sonax...

They lube better than chain lube but do not last as long (only 100-150 kilos) and get really dry when it dissipates.

Thanks for the tips! People who use tubs or tubes of grease, what do you use as an applicator? I'm used to spray-on quick-dry lube that I can just spray over the chain as I turn the wheel.

As WD-40 is a solvent is it detrimental to the life span of an O-Ring chain when used as a cleaner ?

No, in fact it's safe for rubber O-Ring Chains and is also a lubricant, you get it on your rubber tires and it won't eat the rubber either, it melts away grease and other dirt really well to smile.png.... Has to be one of the best multi-purpose sprays on the planet and the price even in Thailand is really unbeatable given it's an import produced from the USA but possibly manufactured in other countries as well...

I think the largest can would cost you under 200 baht and last you a year as long as you don't go crazy spraying to much on the chain while cleaning it regularly. Of course depends on how much you ride, I generally get about 10 cleanings out of a can, clean and oil my chain about every 1000km or so.

Nice, to be honest I was using WD-40 to clean/lube my chain but it snapped whilst out on a ride 2 weeks ago muching both sprockets at the same time. Ive only just managed to import a new sprocket/chain set (nearly impossible to buy 520 sprockets/chain for an SR400 in Thailand) and went O-Ring this time so was just curious as there is big warning labels on the chain box !!

At best I would do 200km per month so good old WD-40 sounds like a winner to me.

Edited by Spoonman

Thanks for the tips! People who use tubs or tubes of grease, what do you use as an applicator? I'm used to spray-on quick-dry lube that I can just spray over the chain as I turn the wheel.

Your finger.

You dont want to be picking your nose afterwards.

• Like 1

Nice, to be honest I was using WD-40 to clean/lube my chain but it snapped whilst out on a ride 2 weeks ago muching both sprockets at the same time. Ive only just managed to import a new sprocket/chain set (nearly impossible to buy 520 sprockets/chain for an SR400 in Thailand) and went O-Ring this time so was just curious as there is big warning labels on the chain box !!

At best I would do 200km per month so good old WD-40 sounds like a winner to me.

Let me make sure that I am 100% clear here so there is no misunderstanding. You use the WD40 to clean the chain, spray it on after you have driven for at least 5 minutes to heat up the chain. Spray, take rag and wipe off, spray again repeat with rag until most of the old oil/grease is gone, this is easiest done with a bike lift which cost about 1200 baht at most dealers. You then let it sit outside for about an hour and dry ensuring that you cleaned any overspray off the rest of the bike and tires, it happens don't worry just wipe it off, or if your in a hurry take it our for a 5 minute drive just to get (sling) most of the WD40 out of the chain.

You then oil the chain with a chain oil of your choice preferably a spray type which is easiest, you don't use a lot and you only spray the inside of the chain while rotating the tire. Two rotations of the chain while spraying with chain oil and your all set, let your bike sit for at least an hour, better to sit over night so the oil absorbs past the O-Rings and hardens a little.

The WD40 isn't a good lubricant for chains on a bike even though it has lubricants. You still have to use a chain oil to lubricate the chain if not you risk the chain breaking because it will get to hot and also the sprockets will wear out really fast due to the additional heat.

Edited by commande
  • Like 1

bloke down our way use old coking oil.....keeps the chain nice lubed plus you get a lovely savoury smell as you drive along and saves the hassle of visiting costy restaurants....

Thats interesting, cooking oil i believe has a higher flash point than motor oil.

Tooth brush! thumbsup.gif

WD-40 type oil is as good as any chain cleaner.

Hell no if it's an "O" ring chain! The WD40 strips the grease out from behind the "O" rings and accelerates wear.

Do it proberly and remove the chain and clean the chain with kerosene.

And outboard motor grease is the best chain lube in my experience.

post-63954-0-54812600-1369756916_thumb.j

Edited by BSJ
  • Like 1

Hell no if it's an "O" ring chain! The WD40 strips the grease out from behind the "O" rings and accelerates wear.

attachicon.gifCropperCapture28.jpg

I have never in my 15 years of riding had any issue using WD40 to clean an o-ring bike chain followed by lubrication with a spray chain oil. Why on earth you would want to pull the tire off the bike every 600-1000km to remove the chain, soak it in kerosene and then manually lube it with outboard motor grease is beyond me. I'm certain that your process works and it does the job, maybe even a better job but I dare say that "better" is probably limited to a feeling of achievement more than anything else. Who really knows for sure though as there are no real statistics measuring chain life when cleaned and lubed using one method or the other.

Then again if you like taking your bike apart and have a place to work on it then by all means please proceed. Seems like way to much trouble to me for a possible limited gain in durability/longevity if any at all.

Edited by commande

I have never in my 15 years of riding had any issue using WD40 to clean an o-ring bike chain followed by lubrication with a spray chain oil. Why on earth you would want to pull the tire off the bike every 600-1000km to remove the chain, soak it in kerosene and then manually lube it with outboard motor grease is beyond me. I'm certain that your process works and it does the job, maybe even a better job but I dare say that "better" is probably limited to a feeling of achievement more than anything else. Who really knows for sure though as there are no real statistics measuring chain life when cleaned and lubed using one method or the other.

Then again if you like taking your bike apart and have a place to work on it then by all means please proceed. Seems like way to much trouble to me for a possible limited gain in durability/longevity if any at all.

I am just offering an alternative that works. It's up to you what you do with the information. Outboard grease is non fling, non corrosive and can take high pressure.

BSJ, where in the world do you find this outboard grease, been looking for it but there aint no boats in CNX.

Let me make sure that I am 100% clear here so there is no misunderstanding. You use the WD40 to clean the chain, spray it on after you have driven for at least 5 minutes to heat up the chain. Spray, take rag and wipe off, spray again repeat with rag until most of the old oil/grease is gone, this is easiest done with a bike lift which cost about 1200 baht at most dealers. You then let it sit outside for about an hour and dry ensuring that you cleaned any overspray off the rest of the bike and tires, it happens don't worry just wipe it off, or if your in a hurry take it our for a 5 minute drive just to get (sling) most of the WD40 out of the chain.

You then oil the chain with a chain oil of your choice preferably a spray type which is easiest, you don't use a lot and you only spray the inside of the chain while rotating the tire. Two rotations of the chain while spraying with chain oil and your all set, let your bike sit for at least an hour, better to sit over night so the oil absorbs past the O-Rings and hardens a little.

The WD40 isn't a good lubricant for chains on a bike even though it has lubricants. You still have to use a chain oil to lubricate the chain if not you risk the chain breaking because it will get to hot and also the sprockets will wear out really fast due to the additional heat.

Some chain lube manuafacturers recommend a 'warm up the chain ride' (5 kms and not a frenzied 5 kms.!) before applying fresh lube to your freshly cleaned chain. obviosuly put in on a stand and wipe off any road particles that may have been picked up before applying the chain lube.

Zzinged Have you tried any of the wax lubes. I picked up a can in the U.S. & it blows the doors off of everything I used previously. outboard grease like BSJ talked about kicks ass but the chain wax lubes go on nice & neat do not sling hardly any oil to clean up later & last flawlessly for a month keeping the chain well oiled for the month. I am not sure if the chain wax here that you talk about in LOS but the Spectro lube I got rocks. Minimal cleaning ( I waited 3 months before cleaning the small amount of slingage . the sprocket wiped with one swipe. It is by far the Number one chain oil in the west coast in the U.S.

BSJ, where in the world do you find this outboard grease, been looking for it but there aint no boats in CNX.

Well I have the good fortune to live in Pattaya and there's a marine dealer up Thappraya Rd that stocks Quicksilver products. Just look for a place that sells outboards for use on boats that are used in freshwater.

Is anyone using a Scottoiler for their chain? I've considered getting one, but I'm not sure if I could keep it properly filled in Thailand.

Apparently they do a great job. Do you order from the internet or is some shop stocking them?

Is anyone using a Scottoiler for their chain? I've considered getting one, but I'm not sure if I could keep it properly filled in Thailand.

Apparently they do a great job. Do you order from the internet or is some shop stocking them?

I'd guess it would be difficult or impossible to source a kit locally- they run about 5K for the basic set-up, but then there's shipping, etc.

i think it would be pretty easy to make one, just get a little bottle, and stick a tube on it with a valve like the one located on your bathrooms bum gun.

Hmmm sounds like a project.