Please Advice... Eighteen Year Old Girl Alone In Thailand.

daAugust

Please help, i need some advice on how to survive in Thailand for two months.

My story is that I'm an eighteen year old girl that will soon be backpacking in Thailand. Needing life & travel advice, as i am still very naive and had always been raised like an egg in a stone. I need to be street wise, basic knowledge of how to avoid all the wrong choices and i need to know how it to avoid unwanted attention.

Thanks a bunch

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where in Thailand are you planning to stay?

Remember one easy hint "whatever sounds too good to be true most likely is not"

Keep away from really cheap places to live, it is cheap for a reason.

Be aware of very friendly Thai guys, usually they not so friendly unless they want something.

Do not do silly things because everyone else is doing it, ie drugs

Do not trust new friends you make in the bar(bar girls) they will want to borrow some money.

Edited by lemoncake

If a road is one way, make sure you look both ways.

Just keep your wits about you, be aware.

I hope you have a ball, good on you for doing it.

• Like 1

Always pretend you don't have much money. If you do otherwise someone will try to relief you of it.

Don't walk around with visible flash jewellery.

Try to not show what money you are carrying , be as subtle as possible.

Learn as much basic Thai as you can would be an advantage, numbers and your address/hotel helps with taxi drivers.

Insist on the meter in cabs.

If on the meter , metered airconditioned cabs are normally cheaper than tuk tuks. Strange isn't it ?

Remember cheap stuff out here is cheap for a reason. It's made cheaply, don't expect it to last.

You can claim VAT back on products at the airport.

It maybe better to shop at modern type places that display the price like tescos.

• Like 1

Dont pay in advance for anything,

dont lend out money,

ask price for any service before you agree to the service, even just a taxi ride,

be vary of any tricks to part You and your money,

be vary of anyone offering any form of service,

go into great detail what the offer is and what the price is, and confirm twice there is no misunderstanding.

Dont pay in advance for anything, dont lend out money, ask price for any service before you agree to the service, even just a taxi ride, be vary of any tricks to part You and your money, be vary of anyone offering any form of service, go into great detail what the offer is and what the price is, and confirm twice there is no misunderstanding.

Lads stop scaring the young girl. She is not coming to do any deals or do any business, she is coming to backpack and travel around and may be walk my dogstongue.png (i really want/need to sleep in a few days)

I'm an eighteen year old girl [...] basic knowledge of how to avoid all the wrong choices and i need to know how it to avoid unwanted attention.

Best to take things with caution you read here in this forum.

Good luck and enjoy!

welcomeani.gifsignthaivisa.gif

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

DO NOT go to the FULL moon party on Koh pangnan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Moon_Party

Why?

And anyway, if she's really a teenager, you have just gave her a free ticket to KPG whistling.gif

Why? Because it has degenerated into a tourist attraction (many package holiday tourists). And is actually not much fun anymore. especially if a female travelling alone. It is also expensive to get to and get away from.

At least that's what some younger teachers at my school told me.. maybe at 21-22 they are passed it already.. I know i am biggrin.png

One unhelpful post has been removed. If you nothing constructive to offer, move onto to another topic.

This could make a good topic for the Thailand travel forum.

Good idea! Moved to Thailand Travel Forum for better input.

• Like 1

Dont pay in advance for anything, dont lend out money, ask price for any service before you agree to the service, even just a taxi ride, be vary of any tricks to part You and your money, be vary of anyone offering any form of service, go into great detail what the offer is and what the price is, and confirm twice there is no misunderstanding.

Lads stop scaring the young girl. She is not coming to do any deals or do any business, she is coming to backpack and travel around and may be walk my dogstongue.png (i really want/need to sleep in a few days)

Don't listen to Poanoi.. he never goes out.. and if he does it's just up the road to BigC or the pub biggrin.png

(at least that what he implies in his posts)

I'd say don't do anything you wouldn't do at home.

Don't try to start smoking weed, drinking heavily etc. as it'll get you in all sorts of trouble.

Keep you eyes open, don't hold into anyone luggage or store things in your room for your new mates.

Just be sensible and have a great trip,

I backpacked in Thai when I was 24 and loved it, yeah drank and partied but wasn't stupid and didn't think I was untouchable.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Don't listen to Poanoi.. he never goes out.. and if he does it's just up the road to BigC or the pub biggrin.png

(at least that what he implies in his posts)

Not even pubs any more, i might not have been so turned off human interaction

if some helpful person had told me this 12 years ago, IF i had bothered to heed the advice :)

Behave as you would (or indeed should) at home.

Do not assume all thais want to cheat you and all foreigners are trustworthy.

You have to pay in advance for booking train/bus tickets...., book them from travel agents with a fixed premises (a shop), not a guy on the street with a sign and a table.

If you take a taxi (and this suggestion applies to anyone) always sit directly behind the driver so he can't easily see you or what you are doing (counting money...)

Common sence is the key

• Like 1

Posts having a go at the op have been removed. Seems, based on those posts, some members have never been 18, never had a 1st trip to Thailand, never made a 1st post on Thaivisa. Leave the decision making as to the motives of the OP up to the mods. Further such attacks will be removed and members warned/suspended so they have time to reflect on their very 1st post on Thaivisa.

• Like 1

If a road is one way, make sure you look both ways.

Just keep your wits about you, be aware.

I hope you have a ball, good on you for doing it.

I remember being told that when crossing a road in Thailand you look in all directions- left, right, front, back and also UP!