Please Advice... Eighteen Year Old Girl Alone In Thailand.

daAugust

Well I came here for the first time when I was eighteen and did all the things the above post are telling you not to do. Had a great time and am still alive to tell the stories, well I had a few close calls!

Sure you'll make a few mistakes along the way but that's how we learn.

Just go and enjoy yourself!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are an 18 year old girl and want to go backpacking in a country where foreigners are frequently raped and murdered?

You claim you are not street smart...

I see all the red flags and would advise you to stay at home, get a lot older and stronger and wiser and then maybe come here in a few years time in a group!

If however you were not backpacking and were doing a package tour in a safe group etc, then you might be OK!

Stay home, it would be a lot better than having to see your father make an "Evil man of Krabi" youtube video etc!

Edited by ishouldknow

You are an 18 year old girl and want to go backpacking in a country where foreigners are frequently raped and murdered?

I see all the red flags and would advise you to stay at home, get a lot older and stronger and wiser and then maybe come here in a few years time in a group!

If however you were not backpacking and were doing a package tour in a safe group etc, then you might be OK!

Stay home, it would be a lot better than having to see your father make an "Evil man of Krabi" youtube video etc!

People are raped and murdered in every country.

Thailand as a holiday destination is still one of the safest.

There are things to be aware of but other posters have covered that.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

True, but this girl has added a lot more of what she is unaware of, unable to do etc.

I see her not having the streetsmart skills as of paramount importance when visiting a foreign country such as Thailand and without such she is an at risk person!

She might be OK, but if she was related to me and wanted to do a risky backpacking, which sometimes even involves hitchhicking and staying in low grade hostels of questionable repute etc... I would not allow it!

True, but this girl has added a lot more of what she is unaware of, unable to do etc.

I see her not having the streetsmart skills as of paramount importance when visiting a foreign country such as Thailand and without such she is an at risk person!

She might be OK, but if she was related to me and wanted to do a risky backpacking, which sometimes even involves hitchhicking and staying in low grade hostels of questionable repute etc... I would not allow it!

You certainly have a point about hitch hiking and low grade hostels. Maybe it would have been better to have given that information.

But to be fair. I have NEVER seen anyone hitch hiking in Thailand.

DO NOT go to the FULL moon party on Koh pangnan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Moon_Party

Why?

And anyway, if she's really a teenager, you have just gave her a free ticket to KPG whistling.gif

Why? Because it has degenerated into a tourist attraction (many package holiday tourists). And is actually not much fun anymore. especially if a female travelling alone. It is also expensive to get to and get away from.

At least that's what some younger teachers at my school told me.. maybe at 21-22 they are passed it already.. I know i am biggrin.png

indeed, go to guys bar or eden instead, even the jungle experience

Sorry, i think this is not the best idea. Do not start traveling allone to far from home and not in Thailand!

There are other nice places, who are much more safe for a 18 year old girl and the cultural shock will not be so havy.

Sorry, i think this is not the best idea. Do not start traveling allone to far from home and not in Thailand!

There are other nice places, who are much more safe for a 18 year old girl and the cultural shock will not be so havy.

Like where.. maybe give some examples?

The Op hasn't been back to comment. I do wonder what country she is from. And why she is thinking of visiting Thailand.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by thaicbr

I would say try to travel near your own home country first before coming all the way to Thailand on your own at 18 year of age. 

Maybe she's from Singapore :D

Seriously, no drugs AT ALL. read this:

http://reallifethailand.blogspot.com/2007/10/drugs-in-thailand.html

DON'T LET YOUR PASSPORT OUT OF YOUR SIGHT. Not for scooter rental deposit or deposit for anything, hotel desk, nothing! If anyone asks for your passport it is for hotel ID only, money exchange, at the airport and it is returned within seconds.

LOOK AT YOUR PASSPORT AND MAKE SURE THEY GAVE YOU YOURS BACK. MISTAKES HAPPEN.

AGAIN YOUR PASSPORT NEVER LEAVES YOUR PERSON. Not sure how you are going in the ocean without a friend to watch your stuff.

Don't worry about the Thai's, worry about the sick white men (I am white so I can say this) all around you. You are going to a part of the world where the sickest sex offenders come to retire. You will see these strange rangers everywhere down south. I am a man and I was totally creeped out.

Take a short class on self defense, learn eye gouge, throat lunge, and nose jab.

No weapons of any type. No pepper spray.

Hide money away on your person. Small amounts for day to day in pocket. Large bills hidden somewhere else. Distribute cellphone, money, passport, cash ATM and credit cards in difference places /pockets all over your body. Don't put everything in one place. Put your passport in the hardest place to get to.

Don't tell anyone you are alone. Get in the habit of saying "I'm waiting for my husband/boyfriend, he will be right back."

Don't go into GoGo bars alone.

Stay away from anyone who looks Russian or speaks with a Russian accent. Sorry if this is not PC but we all know about the Russian mafia.

Make a photo copy of your passport and email it to yourself. That way you can access if at the embassy if you lose it.

Buy a cheap simple cellphone on day one in Bangkok and set up a tight email communications schedule with family or friends.

Remember, it your are arrested, FOR ANYTHING, you are on your own, in the worst nightmare jail you can imagine. Your embassy can do nothing for you. They will take your phone, and no one will know you are there. No lawyer, no phone call.

Anyway, take lots of photos and have a good time!

that depends on travel experiences. I was 13 hitch hiking instead school, with 18 I went to Greece for months on the beaches there, but I am male, but I knew many female my age than, who did that as well. Ok that was than...

If no experience, first thing: take a taxi to Khao San and meat equal aged travelers there and the same in Koh Phangan, Pai and Koh Tarutao.

DON'T LET YOUR PASSPORT OUT OF YOUR SIGHT. Not for scooter rental deposit or deposit for anything, hotel desk, nothing! If anyone asks for your passport it is for hotel ID only, money exchange, at the airport and it is returned within seconds.

AGAIN YOUR PASSPORT NEVER LEAVES YOUR PERSON. Not sure how you are going in the ocean without a friend to watch your stuff.  

Don't worry about the Thai's, worry about the sick white men (I am white so I can say this) all around you. You are going to a part of the world where the sickest sex offenders come to retire. You will see these strange rangers everywhere down south. I am a man and I was totally creeped out.

Take a short class on self defense, learn eye gouge, throat lunge, and nose jab.

Hide money away on your person. Small amounts for day to day in pocket. Large bills hidden somewhere else. Distribute cellphone, money, passport, cash ATM and credit cards in difference places /pockets all over your body. Don't put everything in one place.  Put your passport in the hardest place to get to.

Don't tell anyone you are alone. Get in the habit of saying "I'm waiting for my husband/boyfriend, he will be right back."

Stay away from anyone who looks Russian or speaks with a Russian accent. Sorry if this is not PC but we all know about the Russian mafia.

Make a photo copy of your passport and email it to yourself. That way you can access if at the embassy if you lose it.

Buy a cheap simple cellphone on day one in Bangkok and set up a tight email communications schedule with family or friends.

Remember, it your are arrested, FOR ANYTHING, you are on your own, in the worst nightmare jail you can imagine. Your embassy can do nothing for you. They will take your phone, and no one will know you are there. No lawyer, no phone call. 

Beam me up Scotty!

Yes take care of your belongings and avoid being alone late at night.

Same as you would do at home.

Bring your brain and use it. Case closed.

If you have a smartphone (you can get a cheap android for like $100 or less now), you can get a sim card when you arrive here and use the data connection (or wifi if available in guest houses) to post on fb every day so that your family will know immediately if you have a problem or disappear and with the fb check-in and location features, it will show exactly where you are.

And in lots of years time, you will be glad to have a log of your trip too - including pictures and locations.

Have a great trip.

And re-read this thread. The advice is very accurate for the most part - aobut no laws, police mostly only looking for bribes so try avoid needing them, zebra corssings not meaning anything, seemingly nice thai people in tourist areas are shady, etc).

angiud, on 28 May 2013 - 22:21, said:

thaicbr, on 28 May 2013 - 22:16, said:

DO NOT go to the FULL moon party on Koh pangnan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Moon_Party

Why?

And anyway, if she's really a teenager, you have just gave her a free ticket to KPG whistling.gif

She's 18 that's why. And also, do you know what goes on there? Drink spiking, drugs, robberies, sexual assaults, police taking bribes or just locking up foreigners for possession of drugs, even murders. Hardly the kind of place an innocent young female traveler should go to on her own. What's so fun about the full moon party anyway? You stand on a beach bobbing around drinking alcohol out of buckets meet a few idiots who you'll never see again anyway and then hope you can make it back to your accommodation without being robbed or worse.

Save your money and go to a beach resort, meet up with fellow travelers, make a camp fire, recount traveler's tales and sing some songs. Much more fun and you'll probably make friends which will last you a lifetime.

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Like 2

NCC1701A, on 29 May 2013 - 17:58, said:

Hide money away on your person. Small amounts for day to day in pocket. Large bills hidden somewhere else. Distribute cellphone, money, passport, cash ATM and credit cards in difference places /pockets all over your body. Don't put everything in one place. Put your passport in the hardest place to get to.

Russians are OK and I kinda like it when I'm approached in Russian because I'm kinda sick of the stereotypical "white guy must speak English" crap that goes on in Asia but since Russians don't speak English and I must look Russian it's kinda amusing. Anyway Russians usually leave you alone and are quite private people so I don't know what you have got against them.

BTW I would strongly advice AGAINST scooter rental, car rental or renting anything bigger than a bicycle for an 18 year old in Thailand, particularly a girl. The accident rate is extremely high and if 30 or 40 year old Thais die on the roads here in record numbers even after 20+ years of experience driving on these roads, what are the chances that a young, inexperienced foreigner wouldn't suffer the same fate? Plenty of foreigners have died driving scooters on Thai roads but for some reason the authorities haven't banned tourists from renting scooters and motorcycles unlike in some cities in neighboring countries (such as Siem Reap, Cambodia).

Public transport is extremely cheap and available EVERYWHERE in Thailand, even in the smallest villages. The OP can easily find someone to transport her around not to mention the fact that motorcycle rental (and even riding as a pillion passenger) would not be covered by her insurance without paying a surcharge and in the case of riding yourself possession of a valid motorcycle license, something very few westerners have since there are barely any motorcycles/scooters ridden in the west.

Well..the awesome thing about travelling alone, is that it's really easy to make friends..but don't just look for them in the bar when you've had a few buckets..the best places to meet people are places like the bus or train or ferry when travelling between places...or look for hostels that have a cool common area where they show movies, and have a restaurant...if you can find a pool (hotels will sometimes let you pay a couple hundred baht to swim in their pools, even if you aren't staying there) there's an awesome hostel called "Hacienda Backpackers" in Ko Pha Ngan that happens to be owned by the Hacienda Resort on the beach (a 5 min walk) and the resort has a pool that is free for the hostel guests as well..this is the ideal scenario for you....and the 8 room A/C dorm costs 150 baht for a night!!!! SO CHEAP!

The reason I mention meeting people is that I think it's important that you try to meet a couple girls...or group with girls and guys..or even a cool couple..that you can travel with..even just for the first week or two..(preferably with people that have already been in Thailand for a couple weeks)..so they can give you some good tips..you can try and learn all you want from the internet- but when it comes down to it, the learning experience won't begin until you touch down.

Just trust your gut..and don't get on a scooter if you've been drinking, or on the back of one if the driver has been drinking. If you crash, even if the scooter only suffers a minor scrape..in some places (like ko pha ngan) they will charge you up to 20,000 baht for the damage!!!!!

One thing I've learned from travelling alone in the past, is not to appear like you are a tourist..sometimes that is difficult, like when you first arrive and you have a giant backpack! but once you get your hostel for the night..and you're out in the streets..walk with your head high and with confidence..like you have a direction in which your headed..and people you're meeting there...something I do even when I'm walking down a desolate street at night in my home city is pull out my cell phone...and if I see someone suspicious..I just pretend to make a call..sometimes I'll even fake a conversation!

There are also people everywhere at all hours of the day and night in Thailand...so it will be difficult to wind up alone in a dark alley !

A few tips for arriving in Bangkok..the taxi from the airport must be metered...don't let them charge you more then 300 baht to get to Khao San rd area...a great budget hotel for your first few nights is Rambuttri Village Inn and Plaza on Soi Rambuttri..it has a rooftop pool, and although I am unsure of what your daily budget is..it's a great place to start off your trip..and unwind a little as you recover from the jet lag..it's a great location, on the more chilled out side of khao san, but close enough to the parties..

There will be a million tuk tuk drivers asking "where you go?" if you have a place in mind ...make sure you ask at least 3 different drivers how much they'll charge you...and then barter with the lowest offer..for 50 baht less then he's asking..you can get anywhere around khao san for 100-150 baht...DONT TAKE CABS..if he refuses to meet your offer, then walk away..and he will 100% call you back and agree with your price.

If you drink- buy your booze from 7-11..and eat food from street carts..to save lots of money..the restaurants and bars charge like twice the price for a cooler or beer...think 50-70 baht for fried rice..and like 30-50 for pad thai...in a restaurant you can pay 150 baht for the same dish...make sure you check out the menu (usually they'll have it outside on a stand) before you sit down...

PACK HALF AS MUCH AS YOU THINK YOU NEED..

I could ramble on forever with tips...but how about if you have specific questions, you can email me?

//removed//

or visit my blog

prettycreature.blogspot.ca if you'd rather post a question then email....!

Good Luck!!!!!!

Edited by Tywais
email removed as per forum rules
  • Like 2

Well..the awesome thing about travelling alone, is that it's really easy to make friends..but don't just look for them in the bar when you've had a few buckets..the best places to meet people are places like the bus or train or ferry when travelling between places...or look for hostels that have a cool common area where they show movies, and have a restaurant...if you can find a pool (hotels will sometimes let you pay a couple hundred baht to swim in their pools, even if you aren't staying there) there's an awesome hostel called "Hacienda Backpackers" in Ko Pha Ngan that happens to be owned by the Hacienda Resort on the beach (a 5 min walk) and the resort has a pool that is free for the hostel guests as well..this is the ideal scenario for you....and the 8 room A/C dorm costs 150 baht for a night!!!! SO CHEAP!

The reason I mention meeting people is that I think it's important that you try to meet a couple girls...or group with girls and guys..or even a cool couple..that you can travel with..even just for the first week or two..(preferably with people that have already been in Thailand for a couple weeks)..so they can give you some good tips..you can try and learn all you want from the internet- but when it comes down to it, the learning experience won't begin until you touch down.

Just trust your gut..and don't get on a scooter if you've been drinking, or on the back of one if the driver has been drinking. If you crash, even if the scooter only suffers a minor scrape..in some places (like ko pha ngan) they will charge you up to 20,000 baht for the damage!!!!!

One thing I've learned from travelling alone in the past, is not to appear like you are a tourist..sometimes that is difficult, like when you first arrive and you have a giant backpack! but once you get your hostel for the night..and you're out in the streets..walk with your head high and with confidence..like you have a direction in which your headed..and people you're meeting there...something I do even when I'm walking down a desolate street at night in my home city is pull out my cell phone...and if I see someone suspicious..I just pretend to make a call..sometimes I'll even fake a conversation!

There are also people everywhere at all hours of the day and night in Thailand...so it will be difficult to wind up alone in a dark alley !

A few tips for arriving in Bangkok..the taxi from the airport must be metered...don't let them charge you more then 300 baht to get to Khao San rd area...a great budget hotel for your first few nights is Rambuttri Village Inn and Plaza on Soi Rambuttri..it has a rooftop pool, and although I am unsure of what your daily budget is..it's a great place to start off your trip..and unwind a little as you recover from the jet lag..it's a great location, on the more chilled out side of khao san, but close enough to the parties..

There will be a million tuk tuk drivers asking "where you go?" if you have a place in mind ...make sure you ask at least 3 different drivers how much they'll charge you...and then barter with the lowest offer..for 50 baht less then he's asking..you can get anywhere around khao san for 100-150 baht...DONT TAKE CABS..if he refuses to meet your offer, then walk away..and he will 100% call you back and agree with your price.

If you drink- buy your booze from 7-11..and eat food from street carts..to save lots of money..the restaurants and bars charge like twice the price for a cooler or beer...think 50-70 baht for fried rice..and like 30-50 for pad thai...in a restaurant you can pay 150 baht for the same dish...make sure you check out the menu (usually they'll have it outside on a stand) before you sit down...

PACK HALF AS MUCH AS YOU THINK YOU NEED..

I could ramble on forever with tips...but how about if you have specific questions, you can email me?

//removed//

or visit my blog

prettycreature.blogspot.ca if you'd rather post a question then email....!

Good Luck!!!!!!

Why not take cabs ? If on the meter they are much cheaper than tuk tuks.

If you are paying 100-150 baht for a Tuk -tuk in Bangkok then you've been had. You can get across half of Bangkok for that money in a metered cab.

They aren't guarenteed to call you back, just laugh at the farang instead (look big infront of their mates).

Fried rice should be the cheapest plate on the menu 30 -40 baht.

When checking in at an hotel or guesthouse, get a card with the address in Thai. If you go walkabout, its surprising how many streets look the same and it's easy to get disorientated.

Do not rent a motorbike

Do not hire a jet-ski (plenty of reports on the scams here)

Get a very good travel insurance and make sure that you know of any activities that are not covered.

Try to make friends and avoid travelling alone.

If travelling by bus, do not expect the ticket sellers to speak English. Do not jump on a bus that is just leaving from outside the bus station. Many of these stop every 5 minutes and cram people in like sardines. Buy your ticket - with a seat number- at the windows inside the bus station.

It's been a long time since my first trip to Thailand and I found an up to date version of the Lonely Planet guide invaluable, with ideas of where to go. List of hotels, guesthouses, places to eat and a guide to prices. As well as that it will also have place names written in Thai. Very useful as you can show this to taxi drivers etc as most will not speak any English.

Also when eating stuff like barbequed chicken, try to find a busy place with a high turnover.

Many food vendors will re-heat food over and over again, even stuff unsold from the day before.

Probably best to stick to food that has to be cooked to order

Also when eating stuff like barbequed chicken, try to find a busy place with a high turnover.

Many food vendors will re-heat food over and over again, even stuff unsold from the day before.

Probably best to stick to food that has to be cooked to order

Good advice.

If you want cheap eats that are more hygenic use food courts such as Tescos. Either the same price or about 10 baht more expensive then street food, but the food has been kept in better conditions as well as the plates and cutlery.

Again preferably go for freshly cooled stuff which most dishes are in there.

It usually has what it is written in English as well and a plastic model version you can point at which is a bonus if you can't speak and read Thai.

Having read this most of the advice is good.

I'll add one or two that I think were missed.

Do not drink mixed drinks or a beer that was not opened in front of you.

Anyone who tries too hard to be your friend, well isn't...

There is a YWCA in Bangkok, that might be a place to start?