Yingluck Should Grasp This Chance To Upstage Angelina: Editorial

webfact

EDITORIAL
Yingluck should grasp this chance to upstage Angelina

The Nation

Free testing for breast and cervical cancer would be PM's greatest legacy

BANGKOK: -- The headline splashed on this month's cover of Time magazine has created waves around the globe. "The Angelina Effect" is a phrase now being repeated in the international media every day. The Hollywood star's decision to go public about her double mastectomy has raised to new heights awareness about breast and cervical cancer - the top killers of women.

Jolie has revealed that she carries the same BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 genes that led to her mother's early death from breast cancer. The actress made the bold decision of having surgery so as to minimise that risk. Also courageous was her decision to go public, which has probably saved many lives. No one would argue that prevention is the way to go.

Nevertheless, doctors will only agree to send patients for genetic testing when they deem it absolutely necessary. And mastectomy is still a relatively uncommon preventative practice. Still, the "Angelina Effect" will help motivate health workers and policymakers to save more lives in the battle against fatal disease.

In Thailand, the headlines should encourage Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to boost efforts to combat the increasing threat posed to women by cancer. Earlier this month the Public Health minister revealed that Yingluck had expressed concern about the importance of healthcare for women. Apparently the ministry had informed her about the alarming figures.

About 10,000 women in Thailand fall prey to cervical cancer each year, with the majority of cases occurring in the 45 to 55 age bracket. This leads to 5,200 deaths from the disease annually, or 14 each day, making it second-most deadly health issue for Thai women.

The ministry's task is to help women protect themselves against developing the cancer, most cases of which are caused by HPV infection. They also have to work harder to educate the public, especially to encourage some 21 million Thai women aged 30 and above to go for cervical screening. If 80 per cent of these women went for regular testing, that rate of deaths from cervical cancer in Thailand would drop by 61 per cent.

The story is the same for our No 1 killer, breast cancer, with 10,000 women falling victim to the disease every year in Thailand. That's 20 in every 100,000. Like cervical cancer, breast cancer can be detected and treated at an early stage, giving patients a much higher chance of survival.

However, the majority of Thai women do not get screened for either of these diseases. Although many are aware of the danger, they are often unable to afford the test. Even at a government hospital, a mammogram costs more than Bt1,000. At a private hospital the price can reach Bt5,000.

But what if all women were offered regular, free check-ups for both cancers courtesy of the government? As doctors and the ministry will tell you, such a system would lead to a drastic reduction in deaths of women from cancer.

PM Yingluck may have expressed concern after seeing the alarming figures, but worry alone will not save the lives of her compatriots. On the other hand, taking action by offering free access to regular check-ups for breast and cervical cancers would earn her real gratitude from Thais. It would require a sizeable budget, but it would surely benefit the country much more than the notorious "first-car" policy, or even a high-speed train project.

The fact is that guarding women's health is about more than social welfare - it's an economic issue. Women are important contributors to the country's economy. As mothers they are also the foundation of society. The country's progress relies on their wellbeing. By doing more to safeguard it, the government should eventually enjoy a drop in healthcare expenditure.

Yingluck should grasp this opportunity: free-for-all cancer screening for women would be her finest legacy. She has the chance to be remembered as the first Thai premier to achieve something great both for women and for the nation as a whole. Few Thai women will remember the "Angelina Effect" in decades to come, but Yingluck's name could go down in history. All she has to do is transform her worry into action.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-29

• Like 2

"cervical cancer........... second-most deadly health issue for Thai women" is a preventable disease. There is a HPV vaccine available which, if given to girls before they become sexually active, is 100% effective in prevention.

Yingluk could set up a free vaccination program, but I doubt it will happen. But now that you know about it, what is your excuse for not having your children vaccinated (it works for boys, too)?

Edited by OzMick
  • Like 1

"cervical cancer........... second-most deadly health issue for Thai women" is a preventable disease. There is a HPV vaccine available which, if given to girls before they become sexually active, is 100% effective in prevention.

Yingluk could set up a free vaccination program, but I doubt it will happen. But now that you know about it, what is your excuse for not having your children vaccinated (it works for boys, too)?

wasnt aware boys got cervical cancercheesy.gif

• Like 1

An article based on misplaced nationalism and the desire for big face as Yingluck isn't asked to join in Angelina Jolie's campaign for better female health care she has to " upstage her ". It says Jolie's efforts will be forgotten in decades but Yingluck could go down in history which may well be true but nothing to do with health care issues.

Living in the present Jolie will achieve more than the PM could ever dream of as she is known all over the world whereas Yingluck is well, known in Thailand but I could be very wrong as this is the " hub " of everything.

Pretty much what I was thinking, not to mention the fact that some (most?) of the stats used in this article are so far off. Considering the source, that's to be expected.

A major contributor to cervical cancer (and lung cancer) is....................Talcum powder! Thais use it all the time. Women should not be throwing talc 'down below' and get the school to stop putting it all over your kids face. There are many articles out there on the danger of Talc. I printed some off and gave them to the director of the school. Just waiting for her to ban the use of talc in school now.

Not meaning to be a pedant, but that vaccine hasn't been out too long, so if it is given to girls before they are sexually active how do we know its 100% effective? It will take 40-50 years to establish that surely.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 2

Well we have the same less than inspirational replies about the title and a body jokes.

However, I think the article was well written and made some good comments about the need for a more universal approach to heath care for mothers and all women. It may have been written as a challenge but hopefully the intellectual TV members see it for more than a chance to again mock or condemn anything Thai or political but for what it was, a plea for opening the field for discussing a health concern that affect not only the victim but the family and community as a whole.

Thanks goes to Gentleman Jim for his positive input.

• Like 1

I didn't know boys had a cervix? Good news about this vaccine though I must say I have never heard of it & if it exists feel sure most Western countries would have zero cervical cancer deaths.

wasnt aware boys got cervical cancer:cheesy:

>> I didn't know boys had a cervix? Good news about this vaccine though I must say I have never heard of it & if it exists feel sure most Western countries would have zero cervical cancer deaths.

No one upstages Angelina!

If both ladies were to appear in Bkk on the same day, same time but different venues where would the average Thai go ?

50-50 Yingluck in Thailand. 99.5-0.5 Jolie in the other 99% of the world.

By upstage, I figured they wanted her to get treated for some as yet undiscovered brain cancer gene... Just in case.

Edited by impulse

wasnt aware boys got cervical cancer:cheesy:

>> I didn't know boys had a cervix? Good news about this vaccine though I must say I have never heard of it & if it exists feel sure most Western countries would have zero cervical cancer deaths.

Tried to say.... Some <deleted> spout their ignorance and think they are funny.... Boys can (and do) contract HPV which can (and does) cause cervicle cancer.... That isn't really funny.

And the HPV vaccine has been available inEurope and the US for SEVERAL years!!! Many fail to vaccinate because of religious or paranoid political opinions that jeopardize their children's health!!

With the patents running out on some of their best selling potions and elixirs of the last century, Big Pharma has to crank up the media-scare machine to "eleven"

Angelina Joli's participation in anything other than film and acting just screams shades of advert journalism. Long recognized as a shameless globalist stooge, ill-educated Agelina's pronouncements and endorsements are mere props for a larger agenda.

In spite of the fact that 5% of breast cancer deaths are of male sufferers, prostate cancer kills more people each year than breast cancer. But we get nothing (except the odd mention from our local private "medical hub" ISO 9000 hospitals about prostate issues.

Where is the sturm und drang about prostate cancer ?

djh - thank you.

Boys who contract HPV will exhibit wart like growths on the penis, similar to the vaginal warts which are a precursor to cervical cancer. Those of a certain inclination may also contract cancer of the anus. Vaccinating boys ensures at least they cannot pass a killer disease to their partners.

How do they know it is 100% effective? Extensive testing is done over many years before ANY vaccine is made available.

One of the most ridiculous things I have heard about this was christians in the US resisting this becoming a free vaccination in their state because it would encourage promiscuity. Sorry can't find the link.

BTW this is a virus, and AFAIK has never been transmitted by using talcum powder on your crotch, or from public toilet seats.

Edited by OzMick
  • Like 1

No one upstages Angelina!

If both ladies were to appear in Bkk on the same day, same time but different venues where would the average Thai go ?

50-50 Yingluck in Thailand. 99.5-0.5 Jolie in the other 99% of the world.

By upstage, I figured they wanted her to get treated for some as yet undiscovered brain cancer gene... Just in case.

Which is undiscovered, the cancer or the brain?

• Like 1

I thought the article was going to suggest that YS have her mammary glands removed for the greater good.

TiT and it wouldn't be quite the same were that to happen.

That's what the lead in would suggest...on the subject 'nuff said'

Yingluck hasn't had much positive press lately, in fact it appears she has been avoiding it. However, I seriously doubt that this would be the vehicle to promote herself as a leading public health care advocate. Jolie et al has this market sown up.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

djh - thank you.

Boys who contract HPV will exhibit wart like growths on the penis, similar to the vaginal warts which are a precursor to cervical cancer. Those of a certain inclination may also contract cancer of the anus. Vaccinating boys ensures at least they cannot pass a killer disease to their partners.

How do they know it is 100% effective? Extensive testing is done over many years before ANY vaccine is made available.

One of the most ridiculous things I have heard about this was christians in the US resisting this becoming a free vaccination in their state because it would encourage promiscuity. Sorry can't find the link.

BTW this is a virus, and AFAIK has never been transmitted by using talcum powder on your crotch, or from public toilet seats.

Now you don't like other people taking the piss out of your good info but then you seem to take the piss out of someone else's. I never said the HPV virus was transmitted by putting Talcum powder on your crotch did i? I said Talcum powder is considered a contributing factor to cervical cancar , also ovarian cancer and lung cancer. Talcum particles are basically a very similar family to asbestos particles. The only safe Talcum powders are those made from corn starch. The powder should not be used to dust the face of children as they inhale it. It should not be put on the crotch of females because particles will accumulate in the ovaries and else where. The info is sound, take it or leave it.

• Like 1

djh - thank you.

Now you don't like other people taking the piss out of your good info but then you seem to take the piss out of someone else's. I never said the HPV virus was transmitted by putting Talcum powder on your crotch did i? I said Talcum powder is considered a contributing factor to cervical cancar , also ovarian cancer and lung cancer. Talcum particles are basically a very similar family to asbestos particles. The only safe Talcum powders are those made from corn starch. The powder should not be used to dust the face of children as they inhale it. It should not be put on the crotch of females because particles will accumulate in the ovaries and else where. The info is sound, take it or leave it.

Sounds about right GJ, however I don't think its possible for talc to travel from the crotch to the ovaries and accumulate there. I believe the fallopian tubes are one way streets.

djh - thank you.

Sounds about right GJ, however I don't think its possible for talc to travel from the crotch to the ovaries and accumulate there. I believe the fallopian tubes are one way streets.

Good point, but i'm not sure to be honest.

Talc particles cause tumors in human ovaries and lungs. Numerous studies have shown a strong link between frequent use of talc in the female genital area and ovarian cancer. Talc particles are able to move through the reproductive system and become imbedded in the lining of the ovary. Researchers have found talc particles in ovarian tumors and have found that women with ovarian cancer have used talcum powder in their genital area more frequently than healthy women.2

Talc poses a health risk when exposed to the lungs. Talc miners have shown higher rates of lung cancer and other respiratory illnesses from exposure to industrial grade talc, which contains dangerous silica and asbestos. The common household hazard posed by talc is inhalation of baby powder by infants. Since the early 1980s, records show that several thousand infants each year have died or become seriously ill following accidental inhalation of baby powder.3

Q. What about infants?

A. Talc is used on babies because it absorbs unpleasant moisture. Clearly, dusting with talcum powder endangers an infant's lungs at the prospect of inhalation. Exposing children to this carcinogen is unnecessary and dangerous.

More reading

http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/cosmetics/talc.htm

• Like 1