The One-Month Haircut In Thailand!

Eesat

My colleagues and I all find the Thai hairdressers to be better than those in the west, even if we use the cheap Japanese style salons (100 baht)at Asoke of Thaniya plaza Silom, or the salons in the department complexes (400 baht). I took a photo out of a magazine the first time and haven't had a bad cut yet. Usually lasts 4-5 weeks. Currently going to one in Silom Complex.

Edited by jmcmillan

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My colleagues and I all find the Thai hairdressers to be better than those in the west, even if we use the cheap Japanese style salons at Asoke of Thaniya plaza (100 baht) Silom, or the salons in the department complexes (400 baht). I took a photo out of a magazine the first time and haven't had a bad cut yet. Usually lasts 4-5 weeks. Currently going to one in Silom Complex.

Edited by jmcmillan

I get a 2cm student haircut and shave for 40 bahts every month. I am also a big tipper and give an additional 20 baht.

Oooh, you are a big tipper aren't you.

The mind boggles what you would cough up if you got full service.....

Come on go to Sukhumvit soi 3/1 , 7/1 or 11/1 or so and pick your hairdresser. They jump you in packs of 7 girls. You have a great time and you feel fantastic. And if you do not want to pay much go to Klongtoey to the slump sit down in a chair and they give you also a great service for virtually nothing. Thailand is splendid when it comes to these kind of personal care services.

I know many expat ladies who fly to Hong Kong for their hair

They offer good haircuts over there, including frontal lobotomy.

Yes ! Lobotomy is definitely needed with haircuts here, to avoid the post hair cut depression ! That or just cut the whole head off :lol:

Lobotomy? I thought lobotomy was the thickest string on a French guitar.

500 baht? You must be getting a hair cut in some up market mall?

I get the 80 baht hair cuts with a shave and a nice shoulder and head massage, then give them 200 baht feeling pretty happy about it.

Just try a little road side place.

Way to continue the stereotype that farangs will give outrageous tips...I'm sorry but they set the price that way, a little tip is one thing, but I feel like a 120-baht tip on an 80 baht haircut is like saying: look how much money I have, I can afford to give u twice what the other people here do.

80 baht is a good price, give them 100.......or do you feel like your calling in life is to donate to the poor underprivileged people of Thailand "and feel happy about it" ......if you wanna pay 200 baht, go pay 200 baht somewhere

I know, I know, I don't understand how hard these people work, blah blah blah...but I have friends who have gotten large tips that sometimes express the ridiculousness of it, "meuan guu kaao yaak maak paeng loei wa" (as if I were totally poverty-stricken) or "ruuseuk meuan bpen kon kaw taan" i feel like a beggar..

I know your intentions are good, I really do. But just think about how other people might interpret your actions, and then think of what that that might mean, and ask yourself whether you should just simply feel good about it.....maybe your own view is indeed more complicated than your post indicates, and if so, then I'd be interested to hear more.

• Like 1

Get trim and cleanup once a week from a well-credentialed stylist near Asoke. I won't mention the name since he's already in high enough demand and an appointment has to be booked, sometimes, up to a month in advance.

600฿ per cleanup of which I get once a week and on the third week, a full cut 1200฿.

Less than the $250 I was paying to Oribe.

In Phra Kanong area of BKK used to pay 60 for haircut, beard trim, massage, ear cleaning etc. In Jomtien near market decent cut for 100. I agree that splashing out a big tip is disrespectful, as is guy who dissed because dude gave a 50% tip. These are the kind of <deleted> who drive prices up and if they are accepted, then the rest of us look like cheap charlies. Tip your bar girl date. Help improve Isaan life.

• Like 1

I get a 2cm student haircut and shave for 40 bahts every month. I am also a big tipper and give an additional 20 baht.

Oooh, you are a big tipper aren't you.

The mind boggles what you would cough up if you got full service.....

He gave a 50% tip already!biggrin.png

20 years ago in ShangHai, you could get a good haircut on the sidewalk for about 50Baht. The barber just set up a wooden stool and you could sit and watch all the people pass by.

Maybe someone who is low on funds could try the same thing in Chiang Mai.

So what's the price now, 20 years later? (not 50 baht)

And there are lots of barbers here in C.M. - guys that cut guys hair, massage the head too - for about 80 baht. I think its 140 baht for shave and a hair cut.

I end up with a side not centre parting.

The hair parting. Possibly the most unimaginative and awful hairstyle known to man.

Nah its nature.
Yeah, I agree...that's nature.....but as one with speech difficulties,....I'd like to know which human is responsible for putting the 'S' in Lisp..?

Go to Friends on Sukhumvit between sois 8 and 10, opposite overpass to old Ambassador Hotel and near Bangkok Bank. Ask for Lilly. THB250-300. Been my hairdresser for years. She is excellent. The others there are just as good as she is.

However, if you want something Korean, transgender or on the bizarre side, go to the one opposite Bangkok University, BUIC entrance. I forget the name but you cannot miss it.

I was about to commiserate with you regarding getting a decent haircut here then I finished reading your post and a couple comments. Perhaps it is a cultural difference but, in my opinion, a man's haircut should last 2-4 weeks. My problem has been rather the opposite of yours, most places I went tried to scalp me making it a 5-6 week haircut (enough time to grow it out and try to get it fixed) instead of my normal 2-3 weeks. I have had the most success with the cheap local places where I can find a man to cut my hair rather than a woman or ladyboy. When I lived in Chiang Mai the first place I tried was excellent and I stuck with them but it took five or six attempts to find a decent barber in Bangkok. During the search I had one woman completely ignore my instructions and just take a set of clippers to my head (she started right over the forehead so there was no opportunity to correct the mistake), another use a combination of very dull scissors and a weird technique to give me the first painful haircut I have ever had, and 3-4 more who cut my hair unevenly and too short. My haircut is not complicated or unusual, just a classic side part (think Tom Brokaw).

Where was the excellent place in CM? I have been looking for ages!

I really appreciate a good hair cut. I guess that's why I have had so many girlfriends who were hair dressers a couple who worked primairily on feature movies in Hollywood. It took me a long time but I found a girl who is very skilled and It doesn't hurt that she's pretty hot also (besides the point...Married!).

But seriously one of the best ways to tell if they are good is if they bring out the clippers to cut or not...don't get me wrong you have to use clippers to get the neck line and the side-burn area but not for the body of your head...That's how you end up looking like a Yeti in a month.

The young lady I'm talking about is named "J" and she works at a place called "Hair Decor" on the far side of the top floor at Big C extra (used to be Careforre) on Central Pattaya road in Pattaya. I know that doesn't help anybody in BKK or CM etc but...what you gonna do?

500 baht? You must be getting a hair cut in some up market mall?

I get the 80 baht hair cuts with a shave and a nice shoulder and head massage, then give them 200 baht feeling pretty happy about it.

Just try a little road side place.

Why woulkd you want to give some one 200 baht for some thing that only costs 80baht?
I would think it would be to show appreciation for a satisfactory service...it's called a 'Tip'

and in the western world, so $8-$10 would seem a fair price if the haircut, massage etc was good in MHO..?

where i live:

- 60 bath (no airco) - 50 can be found too.

- 80 bath (airco)

very decent cut, including nose/ear hair (if any) + 5 min head & shoulder massage.

additional: shave @ 40bath (it takes 3-4 blades on me - easily 30 minutes at thai-pace - no fun for me nor hairdresser so i rarely have it done).

What a customer wants to give as a tip is an entirely personal matter. I haven't found anybody in a service business yet who didn't appreciate a good or 'excessive' tip, and it greases the skids nicely for future consideration.

There are lots of good barbers and stylists in Chiang Mai, I have found. It's fun to just walk in and take a chance. It grows back.

• Like 1

Paid 200 today at the corner and got assured several times since that I look very handsome. Never argue with experts!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Now, if you lived in Chiang Mai you wouldn't have a problem. For years I used to go to a great Barber in Tapai Road (probably have the wrong spelling) but anyway we moved overseas for a few years and the barber also moved and didn't leave a forwarding address. When we came back to CNX two years ago my wife spotted the "Lana Barber Shop" in Chiang Mai Land.

I've been going there Onece A Month for the past 2 years, his standard price is 80 Baht but I always leave a 20 Baht tip. Excellent service and my wife can even phone ahead to make a booking. He can't speak English and my Thai is Nid Noi but who cares, I don't go there for Conversation!

Edited by Murray

What a customer wants to give as a tip is an entirely personal matter. I haven't found anybody in a service business yet who didn't appreciate a good or 'excessive' tip, and it greases the skids nicely for future consideration.

There are lots of good barbers and stylists in Chiang Mai, I have found. It's fun to just walk in and take a chance. It grows back.

I like your idea about testing a few but my wife is very picky about how my hair is cut. I sit in the chair (like a kid) and she directs the operation..

Short back and sides here in the village with all the 'lor maak's' I can take from a little cutie for 50bht.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Do tell, I always like having a little cutie cut my hair but usually get some dumpy girl or a lady boy.

In Pattaya I never paid more than 100 baht for a hair cut,

in Sattahip I paid 40 baht for a haircut and shave,

In Wang Muang I paid 25 baht for a haircut until my barber died,

I had hair clippers I brought from the old country, my wife said I could cut your hair and she has done that now for six years.

How many Thai's do you see that part their hair, I have not seen very many. Most Thai barbers cut only the hair for Thai's and are not used to cutting farang's hair.

I had the same problem when I went to the states, no one would cut my hair the way I wanted it cut.

As I was only 60 miles from the border, I would go to Mexico for a decent hair cut.

Cheers:smile.png

In my own case, I've noticed that the longer the hair style, the longer before a haircut is required. With my current hairstyle I will start looking untidy after 3-4 weeks. So I get a haircut every 4 weeks. If I wait 6 weeks it'll look awful. There's not a hairdresser in the world who can change that fact.

How can someone possibly think that the hairdresser is responsible for the growth of your hair...? ufb

If it helps you can get a pemanent straight hairdo which will last for about six months. If you want more details PM me.

I have PM:ed. Can't wait to get the details of a haircut that lasts 6 months. Awesome! Good thing you told me!!

The best haircut I've had in recent years was in BKK last February. Overnight hotel in Bang Na and visited random salon round corner in evening and only male staff employee cut my hair.

He had good sense of humour and he and the ladies looked after me with top service and courteous and polite to my wife.

There was a good tip to all and loved every minute.

There's nothing like good service and quality product.

Paid 200 today at the corner and got assured several times since that I look very handsome. Never argue with experts!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You see this is what's missing in The Big Mango,they never tell you you are a "Hansum" man after your haircut,maybe the girls just aren't as observant here?

20 years ago in ShangHai, you could get a good haircut on the sidewalk for about 50Baht. The barber just set up a wooden stool and you could sit and watch all the people pass by.

Maybe someone who is low on funds could try the same thing in Chiang Mai.

I had mine done by a guy who had a plastic chair and had nailed a mirror to a palm tree in Egypt....... it was crap, but then again I was in dire need.

Come to Pattaya, my haircuts cost 70 baht and last a month easy, if they were 500 I might dig the old Wahl electric clipper and go buzz style.

Eyebrows trimmed, ears cleaned and shaved, nose hair and shoulder rub included.

Edited by jacko45k