Where To Find Quality Expats In Thailand

andrew

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never met any expats..except one couple..we were living in a 'Thai' area above Chaing Mai.. aren't they all guys..seriously, expat women..?alohz

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Where IS the best place to meet 30-something ex-pats in Bangkok? I mean people who actually and have settled here as opposed to Khao San drifters.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

at home with our families...;)

• 3 weeks later...

There's a thread running in the Isaan forum in which a guy talks about his trip to Udon Thani. One of the guys who's replied has offered the observation that expats in Udon are the "bottom of the barrel".

This is quite interesting. I mean, if Udon expats represent the bottom of the barrel, where should one go in order to meet expats who inhabit the top of the barrel? Or perhaps you'd prefer to meet expats who occupy the center of the barrel.

This is what I think.

The bottom of the barrel

Pattaya. Without a doubt. What a dreadful place. A sink of iniquity. A veritable Pandora's box of horrors.

Sure, Pattaya plays host to some very successful expat hotel managers and chefs, but the dregs far outweigh the quality.

The lower part of the barrel

Isaan. What a boring place! Expats here are generally retirees; most are overweight; most are bored senseless; many take their first drink before midday; all are married to farmers' daughters. No need to comment any further.

The center of the barrel

Bangkok. There are many highly successful expats in BKK. They are executives employed by multinational companies; they earn serious green; they are often accommodated at Nichida Thani and/or Muang Ake; remuneration packages usually include school fees; cars and chauffeurs are usually thrown in. These men do extremely well.

The average, however, is brought down by the abundance of third rate English teachers (sic), boiler room boys, and a plethora of nefarious scum whose lifestyles I'd prefer not to comment on.

The upper part of the barrel

Prachuap Khiri Khan and Phetburi. Specifically, Hua Hin and Cha Am. I like these two seaside towns. They are generally scum-free, and seem to attract elderly Scandinavian retirees who come here with partners who they've been married to for a couple of decades or more. I personally find that quite refreshing.

The top of the barrel

Singha Nakhon and Rayong. If you're looking to meet the expat creme da la creme, these two towns have it all.

Singha Nakhorn -- the former Sultanate of Singora -- is these days a regional home to many of the world's leading oil and gas companies. Expats who work here come from Europe, the Gulf States and Singapore. They get great salaries. The whole place is devoid of sexpats and sex tourists. There are very few slut bars. Men who work here are hardworking and respectable.

Ranong. No need to say too much. Ranong is the wealthiest province in Thailand, and Japanese expat managers rule. I have immense respect for the Japanese. Here in Thailand, there is no such thing as Japanese scum.

I have the greatest repect for the Japanese as well but your last sentences statement should be qualified. In this province we have a contingent of older Japanese gentlemen running various entrrprises who have tatoos and wear Tracksuits. They don't bother me but I would not get in their way. We also have younger guys on Education Visa for years who cant speak Thai at all!

This is a very interesting topic, as we can all see very emotional topic

I see it like this I don't give a toss who you are, where you come from, skin colour, age , financial background, country........

At the end of the day I value a person on who they are inside and how they treat me.

If some of you have read my few posts you will know I come from an executive background. I met and worked with some of the top westerners in Thailand some had a heart of gold and did more than they should here in Thailand some were pure shit I mean just pigs. I've been in all areas of Thailand due to the company I worked for. Having braches everywhere in Thailand. I have met the poorest and working class expats as well and I will say the same thing some were just the best, funny, caring, kind do anything for you and I have met the biggest scumbags I have ever seen in my life.

As my father told me many years ago when I was a kid, just take people as they are and who they are and how they treat you don't judge them on anything else

I get people say to me this person is "this or that" I just say ok I respect what you say but until they do something wrong by me I will not judge

Finally I will say this and I read other people have said it

Most tourist here come for the sex trade, its perceived that Thailand is cheap,

So you don't get the best type of expats coming here

I like a lot of other posters here I tend to stay away from westerners

• Like 1

ay this and I read other people have said it

Most tourist here come for the sex trade, its perceived that Thailand is cheap,

So you don't get the best type of expats coming here

I like a lot of other posters here I tend to stay away from westerners

Not me...

I came for the street food, and the double decker bus ride.

• Like 1