Swedes Abandon Thailand As Tourist Destination

webfact

I was holidaying in Ao Nang Krabi in March and the place was packed with Swedes,thousands of them on the beach,in the town of a night,they were by far the most represented Europeans in the resort.

We were in Ao Nang last week . . . and there was a complete mix of tourists, no one group dominated

I was holidaying in Ao Nang Krabi in March and the place was packed with Swedes,thousands of them on the beach,in the town of a night,they were by far the most represented Europeans in the resort.

Ao nang at Songkran was Russian & Malaysian (you can fly direct from KL I learnt).

Yup, we flew in from KL directly last week - lots of Malaysians but only saw/heard two Russians

BAD NEWS FOR THAILAND!

Swedes have been the travel industry trendsetters since the end of the 1950ies. What they do will be followed by all other European's within a few years.

The reasons for leaving Thailand are probably a combination of the following:

• Spain has become cheap
  • US has become cheap
  • Most Swedes are frustrated over the extremely dirty beaches and cities in Thailand
  • Most Swedes are frustrated over the extreme corruption in Thailand

I don't believe the Russians are a big problem. They are all over Europe as well.

Actually, Germans have been the trendsetters in opening up new tourist destinations fr a long while - but tourist numbers are rising in Thailand . . . and the numbers of tourists from Sweden, Germany etc... here in Malaysia is rising.

I am a consultant for Tourism Malaysia and the numbers are quite interesting - there certainly is a shift in origin

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most likely a combination of all the above. Still, fads come and go, maybe in five years the Swedes will rediscover Thailand and flock back. Personally, I would keep an eye on those Ozis visiting Thailand. They seem to be causing most of the trouble.

Where do you get that from?

You must be Thai to come up with such a ridiculous statement!

If anything is an indicator to what the Swedes think of Thailand I think this is:

"After 63 years Scandinavia's SAS will no longer serve Bangkok"

That may be one of the reasons . . . the average tourist will generally choose the more simply path to a destination.

Nothing wrong with Russians from council estates in Moscow using their money to impress everybody.

Wait a few years and the Chinese won't be just sitting in their buses open mouthed. They might even start spending.

One thing is for sure. The Thais don't like em.

And guess what.....

Good evening.

I guess we're lucky that English council housing morons don't travel . . . because they' be well loved by everyone

Maybe it's just me but I don't read reports about Russians shooting innocent tourists in the middle of the day in Phuket,plus smuggling drugs in and out and setting up clubhouses...maybe it's just me though?whistling.gif

As well as the Russians, Indians and Chinese / Japanese .... A large helping of Middle Easterns / Arabs, Eastern Europeans and Koreans, the traditional Farang is serious been squeezed out ...

Ah, the traditional farang . . . curse those nasty foreigners for working themselves into a position of being able to travel as 'we' are the best there is . . . aren't we? Western European drunks are much nicer than Russians or Koreans

If the numbers are to believe giggle.gif, they haven't abandoned Phuket - yet?

26. May 2013

According to the Provincial Office of Commercial Affairs, the No.1 foreign arrivals direct into Phuket airport in the 1st quarter were:

1. Russians (130,000)

2. Chinese (121,000),

3. Swedish (62,000)

4. Australians (57,000)

5. South Koreans (47,000)

Well, a good story needs its hyperbole: SWEDES NEVER COMING TO THAILAND AGAIN . . . sounds better than '62,000 swedes landed in Thailand for their annual holidays in the first quarter of 2013'

i was up at the Novotel the other day at Siam Square.

Not a farang in sight many Indians ,Asians and arabs milling around the lobby and pool

Outside on Sukhumvit rd there were about 50 tassakij or bogus cops looking around for farangs to scam money out of.

I barely recognised Siam sq....everything is changing including the tourist demographic.

Edited by metisdead
Underscore removed.

nordic countries, very cold most of the year, sure they wanted some sun and heat, but thailand is not cheap anymore and if you get scammed here once, and chances are great (tuk tuk , taxi maffia, jetski, gem stones, etc...) than you probably will never come back and now with facestuff and everything, you can tell all your friends about your bad experience

hope many countries will follow

but they will be replaced by more ruskies, chineze, indians

hellodolly, on 30 May 2013 - 15:10, said:

I tend to agree that the Swedes who travel a lot might just have had enough of the holiday resorts and beaches and are seeking out other venues. Perhaps the Thai business people could look into more affordable resorts and beaches as well as off the normal track destinations.

Promote tours. I have seen as many as three tour buses from China at the same time where I live. In the 7 years I have lived here not a one farong bus. I am sure there are some out there but very few.

It has often baffled me why they have to build a five star resort and promote it. There are other resorts that are not five star but have all the amenities. These would be attractive to a lot of people who would write Thailand off as to expensive when all they see is the high end being promoted.

The Thai baht is strong at the moment but I don't think that would affect the year over all. I could be wrong on that.

Russian tour buses are everywhere these days, including at Bangkok's Paragon shopping center and indeed you see more of them than even Chinese tour buses. However, Russians aren't "farangs" although I hate this term, they are eastern Europeans who are not in the same category as western Europeans even if they look similar, physically speaking.

You are right though, what happened to the German and Scandinavian tour buses? Or are they all in Vietnam these days?

As a Swede with a Thai wife since half a dozen years I really do not know what Swedes in general think - but they get a lot of negative propaganda from Swedish media about Thailand. They only tell negative things about Thailand while my sis, living in Israel, says the TV there all the time tells about the good things in Thailand.

It does not help that the Thai embassy in Stockholm refuses to give visas by mail. If you do your research you find out that the consulate in Gothenburg does - still.

I know my wife could not get anyone to guard the cat over summer when we had plans to go, so I have to be cat guard while she pops over to her home in central Thailand for a few weeks, too short for me as I am partially handicapped. All the other Thai gals she knows here around were in Thailand over all summer and she does not trust anyone else THAT much.

I saw a travel bureau ad about Thailand with some questions and "the winner gets a travel for two to Thailand worth 250000B". So that is what they take for a trip to Thailand while a monthly rent here is 30000B - the Swedes are getting poorer as the government has dragged in half a million illiterate illegal muslims against the will of the rest of the people. And no travel agency would advice how to make trips there that ordinary people can afford - I have made a dozen trips there since 1975 and my last month on Samui cost 5000B/month in rent. Very nice room. The angry cats running in and out did not disturb. I sure hope to come to Thailand with my rollator soon again, my wife's parents wait for me in the village and the mother is excellent in making food!

Swedes, welcome to Florida! We will charge the same entrance fee as American residents to all national and theme parks especially an internationally popular resort like Disney World in Orlando, FL. We will not scam you on Taxi fares, recklessly drive you over while you are walking, bicycling, driving any vehicle on our safe roads. Speaking English properly is not a problem. Our beaches are safe, clean, patrolled and always cater to foreign tourists. If you rent a boat, jet ski or any vessel on the water or land you can be assured we will not scam you for bogus damages and have the local police for back up. God forbid if you are involved in any accident, injuries or harm we will protect you, give you the best medical treatment and assure you fair, uncorrupt treatment dealing with any of our law enforcement personnel and justice system. You have freedom of speech and religion while in our country. You can actually enjoy a safe, fun and adventurous holiday in the Sunny State of Florida!

nordic countries, very cold most of the year, sure they wanted some sun and heat, but thailand is not cheap anymore and if you get scammed here once, and chances are great (tuk tuk , taxi maffia, jetski, gem stones, etc...) than you probably will never come back and now with facestuff and everything, you can tell all your friends about your bad experience

hope many countries will follow

but they will be replaced by more ruskies, chineze, indians

It does appear the english speaking tourists have been clued up about Thailand and are being replaced by the Russians, Indians, Chinese & Arabs.

Soon the travel blogs in those languages will be updated.

• Like 1

"Swedes, welcome to
Florida! We will charge the same entrance fee as American residents to all
national and theme parks especially an internationally popular resort like
Disney World in Orlando, FL. We will not scam you on Taxi fares, recklessly
drive you over while you are walking, bicycling, driving any vehicle on our safe
roads. Speaking English properly is not a problem. Our beaches are safe,
clean, patrolled and always cater to foreign tourists. If you rent a boat, jet
ski or any vessel on the water or land you can be assured we will not scam you
for bogus damages and have the local police for back up. God forbid if you are
involved in any acciden t, injuries or harm we will protect you, give you the
best medical treatment and assure you fair, uncorrupt treatment dealing with any
of our law enforcement personnel and justice system. You have freedom of speech
and religion while in our country. You can actually enjoy a safe, fun and
adventurous holiday in the Sunny State of Florida!"
Happy to read a very relevant comments without imbecile comments about the Russians (just a pity Thaksin and his gangster friends in uniform will not read it).
We (and the Thai Government) have all the answers in our history books. Read about how the Swedes and Danes started charter tourism to Mallorca in the late 50ies (the same reasons as they have been traveling to Phuket: nice people, good weather, nice beaches and comparatively cheap) and how they abandoned the island years later due to: corrupt police and civil servants; dirty beaches and cities; dangerous traffic. Spain needed a corrupt dictator to die and 20 to 30 years of real democracy to heal the wounds.
Mallorca is back as a true heaven on earth. The Swedes, Danes and so many more are moving back to what the article about Florida describes and YES, the northern Europeans are once again choosing Florida and the Canary Islands as their preferred destinations during the winter months of the very same reasons.
  • Like 1

All I can say is that if Thailand's beaches lose its contingent of Scandanavians, it will be a catastrophic event.

Somehow a baboushka over flowing from her size XXXXL tent or Miss Ping Ling hiding from the sun just doesn't do it for me as does the lovely Lily from Malmo.

Perhaps we need to organize a rally or facebook campaign to bring the Swedish ladies back? (No offense to the Swedish guys, but they just aren't as pretty as the Swedish ladies, so they wouldn't be targeted. Besides, they have a habit of attracting the Thai women and I don't need the competition.) This is serious. C'mon gang, it's time to get busy.

• Like 2

Swedes, welcome to Florida! We will charge the same entrance fee as American residents to all national and theme parks especially an internationally popular resort like Disney World in Orlando, FL. We will not scam you on Taxi fares, recklessly drive you over while you are walking, bicycling, driving any vehicle on our safe roads. Speaking English properly is not a problem. Our beaches are safe, clean, patrolled and always cater to foreign tourists. If you rent a boat, jet ski or any vessel on the water or land you can be assured we will not scam you for bogus damages and have the local police for back up. God forbid if you are involved in any accident, injuries or harm we will protect you, give you the best medical treatment and assure you fair, uncorrupt treatment dealing with any of our law enforcement personnel and justice system. You have freedom of speech and religion while in our country. You can actually enjoy a safe, fun and adventurous holiday in the Sunny State of Florida!

I remember duality in pricing for theme parks between local residents and others - no more?

Got married (2nd time) in Clearwater . . . yup, nice place, especially if you're used to Chicago

Just read the news snd travel forums.

Scamming, violence and corruption.

The Swedes don't need to put up with this crap.

By by.

I don't think that's just Sweden but they'll just go back to the Canary Islands,Tenerife,Gran Canaria,Lanzarote etc.Where they've been soaking up the winter sun for decades and probably cheaper than Thailand these days!

By by.

I don't think that's just Sweden but they'll just go back to the Canary Islands,Tenerife,Gran Canaria,Lanzarote etc.Where they've been soaking up the winter sun for decades and probably cheaper than Thailand these days!

I think too much emphasis is being placed on Thailand being 'expensive' - it isn't at all compared to Spain, as an example. Malaysians regard it as a cheap holiday destination and splurge - I mainly earn in Ringgit and find Thailand to be quite cheap.

Having said that, Malaysia is by far a better holiday destination

By by.

26. May 2013

According to the Provincial Office of Commercial Affairs, the No.1 foreign arrivals direct into Phuket airport in the 1st quarter were:

1. Russians (130,000)

2. Chinese (121,000),

3. Swedish (62,000)

They don't need to put up with a quarter of a million Russians and Chinese that's for sure.

Air China flight out of BKK to Moscow via Beijing is a depressing experience I can assure you.

By by.

I think too much emphasis is being placed on Thailand being 'expensive' - it isn't at all compared to Spain, as an example. Malaysians regard it as a cheap holiday destination and splurge - I mainly earn in Ringgit and find Thailand to be quite cheap.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I thought you were being serious there for a minute!

6 pages and no-one has mentioned that for Swedes, Thailand is the most dangerous tourism destination.

Several articles about this have been featured on here, you can do your own searching for them.

Might have something to do with declining numbers as it has been widely publicised in Sweden.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yeah, Swedes should vacation in Stockholm where they could be entertained by the riots.

My Swedish neighbors moved out because of the all night open air karaoke bar on Theprasit Soi 7.

The police let them operate illegally, keeping the neighbors awake.

Phone calls to City Hall are ignored.

Shocking to see numerous developers pre-selling units in this area with the buyers unaware the bar will keep them up all night.

Good luck sleeping if you buy into The Maldives, Dusit Grand Park, Laguna or Zen Condominiums in Jomtien.

• Like 1

The drop in Swedish tourism is visible in Kata/Karon, the main Swedish enclaves in Phuket.

Yes, there are still loads around in high season but not in the numbers of, say, three years ago. I have spoken to a few and there are several factors involved but the top three reasons seem to be that they want a change, that it has become too busy and that there are too many Russians.

Our Swedish guest numbers were well down last high season, though our overall occupancy rates were up without having too many Russians. I believe the Swedish downward trend will continue.

Will be curious to see if the same thing happens in Pattaya. Whereas the city is so over run with rude Russians, Chinese , and Indians tourists, that the standard farang tourists will no longer come here..... If so, the bar girls working here will have to go back to their old factory jobs.

By by.

By far a better holiday destination???. Really.. Until u get mugged by the local Malay youth or ripped by the taxi drivers etc etc.

Swedes like beaches and they used to flock to places like Phuket. But as my ex wife (Swedish) said to me, if she wanted to be surrounded by Russians she would have gone to Russia for her holiday.

This is one of the most accurate statements.

Turkey was a popular holiday destination for Europeans, until the Russians arrived

Egypt was a popular holiday destination, until the Russians arrived

Thailand was a popular holiday destination, until...........................

Bingo.

Russians have driven several of my friends out of Phuket and Pattaya. I personally will not live around a lot of Russians and if they come to where I am now, I will leave.

Not to turn this into a Russian slam session, but very few people like them. Even the Thais strongly dislike them.

Russians have driven several of my friends out of Phuket and Pattaya.

They should be grateful whistling.gif

Swedes like beaches and they used to flock to places like Phuket. But as my ex wife (Swedish) said to me, if she wanted to be surrounded by Russians she would have gone to Russia for her holiday.

If i was a sweden man, all i would want ,is to be surrounded by Russian women!! But half fat sweden women ,would ofcourse not feel good with sutch beaty around...