Voip Phone

kkengvibul

I recently bought a laptop, Acer Aspire 5672WLMi. It came with a VoIP Phone...but I'm not sure how to use it (What is it for anyways?)

Do i need a program for it to work?..Or can i just use it through voice conversation via MSN?(tried it but it didnt work)

I recently bought a laptop, Acer Aspire 5672WLMi. It came with a VoIP Phone...but I'm not sure how to use it (What is it for anyways?)

Do i need a program for it to work?..Or can i just use it through voice conversation via MSN?(tried it but it didnt work)

Use it with Skype, Yahoo Messanger. Havent tried with MSN. Or use it with the numerous Voip companies out there. Do a search on google for voip companies and you would have an idea.

Incidently I have a few units for sale in case anyone is interested. Both USB phone and Gateway Adapter (so you can plug is your regular phone be it cordless). PM me for information.

well..the thing is that my laptop has a built in microphone....everytime i talk online, it goes throught the microphone....is this interfering with the VoIP phone or not?

The microphone on the laptop is default mic for the whole system. when you would like to use the voip phone on any particular software, there would be settings for "Audio" within that software. For eg: Skype has under its Options, the Audio setting, for incoming and outgoing audio, they let you choose the hardware. So if you would like to use your voip phone, it should show options to choose hardware for audio in,audio out & ringing sound. Where you would choose all three of these to the voip phone.

hope this helps. your machine speakers and microphone remain default for all other running applications. you can hear winamp through your com speakers while having a chat on your voip phone without any interference between the two.

Hi kkengvibul,

I'm guessing its a USB type phone which you plug into your laptop? If so, were there any driver disks that came with it - they'll more than likely need installing before your able to use it.

You may also need to configure it work in the program you'll be using, such as Skype.

In order to turn the microphone on your laptop off, you need to adjust the audio properties - If your using Windows XP, look at the taskbar in the bottom right of your screen for a round "speaker" type icon called volume. double click it to bring up its window and have a look to see if "microphone" is listed there - if it is, just tick the "mute" box below it. If it isn't there, click options>properties in that same window and look through the list for microphone - tick that then click ok. You should now see the microphone volume section and be will be able to mute it as mentioned above!

Cheers and good luck!

Rik

Hey all,

I have been using Skype now for a few years. I do overseas contacting in the Middle East. We use this for our conference calls. Never had problems with it. Also I use a GN Netcom 8110 USB for the adapter as well as the Netcom dual headset with mike. I too have a Motorolla (sp?) USB blue tooth connector that you can use with Skype also. Headsets seem to work the best but if you dont want to be tied down with a cord . . .

Both work with SKYPE

Dick