Driving A Malaysian Car In Thailand

Hello Folks!

I'm a UK citizen living part of my time in Koh Samui and part in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Before I go ahead and purchase a car in Thailand, I was wonder if anyone knows whether I am able to use a Malaysian car in Thailand for any resonable length of time and if so, where do I begin the paper chase. Also, does anyone know if I'm likely to face insurance problems?

Thanks.

Edited by irene1510

1. Original car registration book.

2. Fill up some form at thai border check point.

3. Insurance can be purchase at thai border insurance booth.

4. Thai insurance coverage depend on number of day your car intend to stay.

That's what I can recall. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

one of the main question was left unanswered. i am thinking of buying an austin mini cooper from malaysia and bringing it here. do i need to do border runs for the car? have a non-immi "O" for myself. how long can i keep the car here in thailand?

one of the main question was left unanswered. i am thinking of buying an austin mini cooper from malaysia and bringing it here. do i need to do border runs for the car? have a non-immi "O" for myself. how long can i keep the car here in thailand?

As this question hasn't yet been answered, I will offer this almost useless piece of information: I read somewhere that you can keep a foreign vehicle in Thailand for 3 months. But I can' t remember where I read that...... :o

As this question hasn't yet been answered, I will offer this almost useless piece of information: I read somewhere that you can keep a foreign vehicle in Thailand for 3 months. But I can' t remember where I read that...... :o

phibunmike, thanks for the reply but after reading previous topics and posts, i think id stay away from importing anything into thailand. i'll look for my mini cooper here. just that they have many of them there in malaysia for sale and that too cheap.