International Atm Withdrawal Fee

blackman

i normally use AEON no fee ATM machines but this morning i had to use an SCB ATM near my house as i had forgotten to get cash to pay the pool guy

i noticed that the withdrawal fee had increased from 150 baht to 180 baht so it was a costly error on my part

anyone else noticed this increase? is it recent? or has it been discussed already and i missed it?

don't know the % increase but seems a big jump to me

Not only(I use a Mastercard from my European bank to get money from ATM)they raised it to Baht 180, since a few weeks the amount to be withdrawn has been limited to Baht 10.000 instead like before Baht 20.000. So

I pay the double charge withdrawing the same amount of money and have to wait till the next day toobah.gifbah.gif

Like my father used to say: "Banks are criminals with a license" annoyed.gif

• Like 1

I find the cheapest way to get cash is to use a forex company.If you transfer a minimum of 150,000 baht from your home country, the fee is zero. The realistic cost is 1800 baht for that transaction, by way of giving an exchange rate of 0.6 less than the interbank rate.

I find the cheapest way to get cash is to use a forex company.If you transfer a minimum of 150,000 baht from your home country, the fee is zero. The realistic cost is 1800 baht for that transaction, by way of giving an exchange rate of 0.6 less than the interbank rate.

But transfer of of an equivalent of 150.000 Baht from a European country cost far less than 1800 Baht.

UOB only charges me 50 baht.

Really? What card do you use?

Im using a debit card issued of HSBC in Hong Kong.

And it get even better. Normally HSBC also charge me an additional HK$40, but using UOB the only charge me HK$20 per transaction.

I withdraw over the counter in a branch, no charges!

Maximum withdrawal in some 250,000 baht.

You have to be careful about counter withdrawals, particularly at places like SCB Bank, which have very high withdrawal limits like 250,000b, but also charge their own very low exchange rate on those transactions.

To answer the OP's question...

Yes, the Thai banks very recently have changed their fee structure for ATM withdrawals using non Thai bank cards.

Basically, VISA logo cards still will draw the same 150 baht fee. But MC logo cards will draw a new and higher 180 baht fee.

There are some different, lesser fees for some other varieties of bank cards, such as those from China and a few other places.

Several of the largest Thai banks have already adopted that new fee schedule. Others may still be in the process of implementing it.

But, any way you cut it, whether you're using a VISA or MC logo card, you still can do fee-free ATM withdrawals from AEON ATMs in Thailand. Fee-free, as in, AEON won't charge any fee. Each home country, bankcard issuing bank will have their own policies on whether they charge their own fee when you use their card outside that country.

And yes, there was a recent TV thread where the new fee structure was disclosed and discussed.

• Like 2

places like SCB Bank, which have very high withdrawal limits like
250,000b, but also charge their own very low exchange rate on those
transactions.

Took the 04 june 39.000 ThB(MasterCardGold) at counter SCB, was debited the 05 june with 39.1385 the Euro, not that bad in my opinion.

Edited by luckyluke

places like SCB Bank, which have very high withdrawal limits like

250,000b, but also charge their own very low exchange rate on those

transactions.

Took the 04 june 39.000 ThB(MasterCardGold) at counter SCB, was debited the 05 june with 39.1385 the Euro, not that bad in my opinion.

The Bank of Thailand average buying TT rate for the Euro among Thai commercial banks on June 5 was 39.6099.

http://www.bot.or.th/english/statistics/financialmarkets/exchangerate/_layouts/Application/ExchangeRate/ExchangeRate.aspx

The same BOT-Euro rates average on June 4 was 39.4262

That would seem to suggest the rates you received from SCB were below average.

Right, but there are costs when you use a credit card to get cash advance, and I prefer this system, I have my money immediately, if I made an internet transfer from my country to Thailand, I receive then the T/T rate, but I have to pay 10 euro bank costs in my home country and 250 ThB at my bank here and it takes about 3/4 days, I made the calculation and the net amount is practically equivalent.

Edited by luckyluke

When the 150 THB fee for use of Foreign ATM cards was first introduced several years ago, not all banks started charging at the same time, there were many posts here at TV reporting which banks were or were not charging the fee, eventually all fell into the Thai Bankers Association's program, all but AEON, which is not a bank so they were not part of the fee system

What you are seeing now is the same implementation system of the new 180 THB fee, eventually they will all will be there. Takes time to update the ATM software to reflect the new rate

• Like 1