American Teacher Charged With Bank Robbery In Bangkok Bank

webfact

It's hard to understand that anyone would rob a bank then keep the motorbike used close by, keep the helmet and shirt used in the robbery and keep the money in his room in the wrapping supplied by the bank.. He wasn't all there when he did this.

As for the real American bashing on this thread as opposed to the light hearted jokers. Pretty low and discusting!!

By the way I'm English

• Like 1

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any pics?

One wonders what was the attraction of Thailand that was so great he felt he had to risk spending the rest of his life in a hellish prison just in order to stay here.

well he found a way to prolong his stay for a few aeons

That note alone shows that Yanks should not be teaching English to anyone.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

forensic counter measure, make everyone think he's not a native English speaker.

either that or he's an idiot. judging by how fast and easy he got caught, i'm thinking option 2

Any pics?

One wonders what was the attraction of Thailand that was so great he felt he had to risk spending the rest of his life in a hellish prison just in order to stay here.

I'll bet he won't be in prison more than a couple of years at most. Also, it's probably not that "hellish" once he gets used to it. I'm sure a US prison could be a lot worse.

Any pics?

I'll bet he won't be in prison more than a couple of years at most. Also, it's probably not that "hellish" once he gets used to it. I'm sure a US prison could be a lot worse.

You ever seen inside a Thai prison? They sleep in long "strips", sardine-style ... not nice. I bet most people don't sleep more than a couple of hours at a time. I have a Thai buddy who got into a fight and got locked up. He only lasted 2 weeks because he had fits and nobody took any notice when they were happening.

I have never had a high opinion of English Teachers in Thailand but this chap is barely literate in the language.

How on earth could someone like this get a job teaching?!

Patrick

I'm sure English teachers have a low opinion of snobs like you. Not all English teachers are scumbags. A lot of them love what they do and contribute greatly to this country. Next timr, engage your brain before typing

You are right, the qualified teachers, in the main, are not scumbags. Unfortunately many are not qualified to teach others and regardless of whether they love what they do or not they can contribute great harm to those who think they are learning good English from them.

• Like 1

Speaks volumes for American english teachers.

Nonsense.

Any nationality teacher you want to bash is easily found on Thailand's police blotter. The roster is too lengthy in its entirety.

British teacher arrested for selling drugs to hookers

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/british-teacher-arrested-for-selling-drugs-to-hookers-12322

Manhunt ends as police arrest Canadian teacher

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2007/10/20/2003383920

Australian arrested in Thailand

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2010/s2908685.htm

coffee1.gif

Speaks volumes for American english teachers.

Nonsense.

Any nationality teacher you want to bash is easily found on Thailand's police blotter. The roster is too lengthy in its entirety.

British teacher arrested for selling drugs to hookers

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/british-teacher-arrested-for-selling-drugs-to-hookers-12322

Manhunt ends as police arrest Canadian teacher

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2007/10/20/2003383920

Australian arrested in Thailand

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2010/s2908685.htm

coffee1.gif

I think facts will only serve to confuse the matter.

• Like 1

The report points towards a figure of 350k. There is no mention in the original article of how much was stolen which is surprising. A bank robber would have to be menacing enough for the teller to take the threat seriously and it seems odd that such a large amount of money was handed over. At no time did he produce the alleged knife or gun. For the police to have nabbed him so quickly is also a mystery except maybe it was identifying the bike that led them to him.

The news says he is a teacher but that word is bandied around so much that the fact seems to be 62yr old American,

Please leave out the Americans and past history it has no relevance to keeping to this thread.

I have never had a high opinion of English Teachers in Thailand but this chap is barely literate in the language.

Patrick

I'm sure English teachers have a low opinion of snobs like you. Not all English teachers are scumbags. A lot of them love what they do and contribute greatly to this country. Next timr, engage your brain before typing

One of the reasons why Thailand's English competence is one of the worst in the world is because they allow anyone who speaks English as their native tongue to be an English teacher in some capacity.

They also look at English teaching as a business with many teaching jobs being managed by agencies that are only concerned with profit.

The only schools that actually use western criteria and hiring practices to vet their teachers are the International Prepatory Schools where they do proper background checks and require that teachers have legitimate educations and experience. Outside of these schools, a native English speaker can go dowm to Khao San Rd pay 1000 baht and get a fake college diploma and basic teaching certificate and then get a job at most schools in the country, no criminal background checks, no verification process of their creditials.

I have found that most english teachers in Thailand are running from something, using the job to fund a long sexpat trip, new age backpackers, and with a small few actually here because they enjoy teaching. The ones that do enjoy it generally dont stay because the working conditions for English teachers are poor compared fo other Asian countries like S. Korea, Vietnam and Japan where legitimate nglish teachers are more respected Nd better paid.

I have never had a high opinion of English Teachers in Thailand but this chap is barely literate

A couple of misplaced capital letters in a hastily scrawled note equals "Barely literate" You'd make one Hell of a drill sergeant teacher.

And the "Drama Queen Award" of the week goes to......

Patrick

Can you post the link that shows the guy is "barely literate"? Is there an internet video of him talking or being interviewed perhaps?

It would serve to educate us better if you would be so kind as to compose a "proper bank robbery note" (and post on this forum) for the intended recipient demographic.

Patrick

One of the reasons why Thailand's English competence is one of the worst in the world is because they allow anyone who speaks English as their native tongue to be an English teacher in some capacity.

They also look at English teaching as a business with many teaching jobs being managed by agencies that are only concerned with profit.

The only schools that actually use western criteria and hiring practices to vet their teachers are the International Prepatory Schools where they do proper background checks and require that teachers have legitimate educations and experience. Outside of these schools, a native English speaker can go dowm to Khao San Rd pay 1000 baht and get a fake college diploma and basic teaching certificate and then get a job at most schools in the country, no criminal background checks, no verification process of their creditials.

I have found that most english teachers in Thailand are running from something, using the job to fund a long sexpat trip, new age backpackers, and with a small few actually here because they enjoy teaching. The ones that do enjoy it generally dont stay because the working conditions for English teachers are poor compared fo other Asian countries like S. Korea, Vietnam and Japan where legitimate nglish teachers are more respected Nd better paid.

Your comments are valid to an extent, I agree with you that the vast majority of those that teach in Thailand who are predominately up country or in isolated areas knock on doors and get jobs by looking the part. Thais themselves look for young white females and if they are not available then anyone passing through will do. The students need teachers and some just sing and dance thus the kids and the parents are happy. I do find it disheartening to see society as it is but there are some of us that have decided to put down roots and make the best of being in Thailand. My kids are great everyone of my M6 students got places at University and more importantly the vast majority of the 72 students are in medical faculties.

One day I was told by a teacher that his qualifications were from Khao San road.

I was quite taken aback by that and asked my students what they would do if they knew that a good teacher did not have real qualifications. They all said they were do nothing because the teacher was good. I did not report him and I was in a dilema since part of me was saying that he has taken the place of another teacher who is unemployed. The other part of me said that he is a good teacher and the kids and staff get along well with him.

Not sure which way I would turn next time if a similar incident occurs.

I am replying to your post not to this article on the bank robbery.

Patrick

Would you write the note in your best handwriting so as to give them a head start in finding you.

He's a fool for writing it in English.

racism is still racism when directed against white folk , be them American, Australian , any nationality, stupidity is stupidity regardless of nationality...get a grip all you racists... get a new understanding, especially when you live in a 'foreign' country...

Edited by metisdead
Font
  • Like 1

What a tragic shame his students will be deprived of having a teacher so dedicated to educating them that he robbed a bank in order to stay because he wasn't being paid a decent wage. That sort of self-sacrificing devotion to teaching is rare.

What planet are you living on.....how do you know he was dedicated and not a yabba freak.......

It is strange how one person's actions represents either all Americans and/or all teachers through quick generalization.

My generalization from responses to this article:

ThaiVisa responders are typically anti-American and mostly Teachers by profession.

Curious about the disguise used if any? Sad to see anyone reach the point of desperation.

Atleast it was not a violent crime.

WWII, Pearl Harbor - amazing what happens to a topic as soon as the word "American" shows up in the title. This is about a bank robber who happens to be an American not the start of WWIII.

Bunch of off topic posts removed.

• Like 1

What about the getaway driver???

Maybe he owed gambling debt and did it to pay back. Driver might be a local who ratted on him..... Maybe he refused ti pay it all over? Its suspicious that he got caught so quickly.

As for ww2 Japan attacked as no choice as only 6 months emergency supply of oil left. USA went to war in middle east over oil. Same same! If Americans understood the asians then lots if problems wouldn't have happened like the vietnam war (I am in vietnam at the bent). USA has been and still is an imperialistic agressor and problems in the middle east are simpley Arab nationalism under the banner of Islam. Uncle Hobin vietnam wasn't really a communist he used it to stop the great imperialistic agressor (usa). Now usa labelled the great Satan by Arab nationalists who want Arabs rules by Arabs. What a cheek....

I was told when I first came to Thailand that 80% of "teachers" (instructors is a better term) were trailer park trash (an American term but I like that one). Nothing I saw contradicted that! I was lucky to work with at least teachers, mostly south african/east European (who can't get proper international school jobs) but who were dedicated educators. And one ir two Brits and Americans who had dripped out due to debt problems or divorce back home. But again good teachers. But below that so many sexpats and backpackers around who didn't care or did care but didn't know how to teach.

But pay peanuts get monkies or bank robbers!

When the photo of this note was first published, the first thing I thought of was the Woody Allen film. "What's a gub?" You guys beat me to it. This note's equivalent of "gub" is the last word, "Quietly." I have a feeling this one adverb might have confused the teller. How did the robber even know she could read English at all?

Didn't he know that his chances of getting away with this were NIL? He must have reached the stage of desperation, as many low income foreigners do.

A few days ago, when those drunk Aussies got whipped down in Pattaya, it was Dump on Australia Day! on TV. Then yesterday, it was Russia's turn, in an article about how fewer Swedes are vacationing in LOS lately. ("Too many Russkies! Yeah, that's the ticket!") Today, it was my beloved USA, with the added bonus of capsule "histories" of our involvement in WWII, as well as cheap shots at any members of "Special Forces" who might now reside among us.

Next up...France, UK, Kazakhstan, Israel, UAE (Your Favorite goes here) ?

• Like 1