Surrounded By "enemy" Nationals On A Baht Bus; Confused As To Proper Etiquette

Jingthing

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were multiple factors. The drunkenness and their large overwhelming numbers. They were definitely FRIENDLY but with all that booze, friendliness can turn. I suppose some people might say I'm American but I don't support my governments actions towards your country. But in my case that would be a LIE and I didn't even have the energy to play the Canuck card, much less lie about my politics.

Again, I'm sure many people are going to label this paranoid behavior. What would the American embassy advise, do you reckon? I'm sure they would advise: AVOID potential conflict of this nature to the best of your ability and that's what I did.

Edited by Jingthing

You took the best option. Discretion is the better part of valour (or stupidity).

No need to chance open invitations for trouble unless you know you can come out on top.

I always tell people I'm from Canada. Works pretty well most of them time. Sometimes they'll get suspicious and start asking me questions about Canada I don't know. Or they'll tell my my accent is definitely not Canadian.

Try telling them your Jewish.

Took me a nearly a year before I told my Iraqi friend. I was pleasantly surprised by his reaction.

You just can't tell, sometimes it's best to be honest.

• Like 2

Took me a nearly a year before I told my Iraqi friend. I was pleasantly surprised by his reaction.

It took you a year to tell a friend? Okie Dokie.

Perhaps I should have announced to the drunken gang on the bus:

I'm a gay married Israeli IDF fighter pilot!

• Like 2

You shared a Baht bus with these guys. You didn't have sex with any of them (did you?). It is really none of their business who you are, where you are from or what your nationality is. A polite smile, with a blank stare huh.png , suggesting that you really don't understand the question/speak his language, should be more than adequate (and, given the number of Russians here that don't speak a word of English, not an unexpected reaction). Neither Emily Post or Miss Manners would require more, and probably wouldn't require that.

You shared a Baht bus with these guys. You didn't have sex with any of them (did you?). It is really none of their business who you are, where you are from or what your nationality is. A polite smile, with a blank stare huh.png , suggesting that you really don't understand the question/speak his language, should be more than adequate (and, given the number of Russians here that don't speak a word of English, not an unexpected reaction). Neither Emily Post or Miss Manners would require more, and probably wouldn't require that.

That's pretty close to what I did but it was obvious I knew what was up but didn't want to engage. I am perfectly aware by clamming up like that I missed an opportunity to bond with a drunken gaggle of Persians and that we could have been friends for life, but I just wasn't into it. I sometimes see bohemian looking Iranians (in smaller numbers of course) that I would be interested in talking to. But that situation was just too much. In general, I very much enjoy the diversity of nationalities in Pattaya (my main objection to the Russians is their dominance dilutes that diversity) but then there are moments of discomfort.

Edited by Jingthing

I bet JT felt lucky to come across a topic for his next post on TV.

The baht buses appear to be the mother lode.

This isn't really something new to my consciousness -- the mixing of "enemy" nationals in the international city here.

Edited by Jingthing

Blown opportunity JT. You had your smartphone, GPS coordinates, etc.;if notified I would have ordered a drone strike thereby eliminating potential terrorists and anything else would be considered collateral damage. Another blessing it would have brought an end to this thread.

......and Jingthing!!biggrin.png

• Like 1

Not quite the same situation as JT but we had a seminar a few years ago (IAEA International Atomic Energy Agency) and I sat down with a couple of guys from the seminar on our office balcony and started up a conversation. The question of nationality came up and one said Iranian and the other said Cuban. Well being an American my comfort level did a bit of a shift toward the awkward side. I was at a loss for words but things went ok after that brief moment.

And obviously a racist.

I use baht buses most days and nights. Sitting on there with all sorts are nationals from different countries.

They are about as interested in you as you are in them.

Jinghting is it the fact the Thai lady that joined the bus ignored you and wanted a bit of an Iranian. Are you a bit jealous, that your baht bus hunt for a drunken woman failed last night. Then you thought lets go to my secret place TV.

You could be sat there with a Tshirt half swastika, half Star of David. They wouldn't give a monkeys.

We all have 2 legs, 2 arms, 2 eyes etc.. We're all human at the end of the day.

If it bothers you so much walk home next time, then you can save your 10 baht, be careful though I have heard they are going to start charging 20 baht soon and the pork sticks on the market are going up another 2 baht. Oh dear

You did the right thing JT. No knowing what their demeanor might have been with their drunken state had you let them know you are from the evil empire. I have no problem in certain settings letting anyone know where I'm from. I find that most regular citizens around the world all have the same common dreams and goals, it's the freaking governments that attempt to keep all of us at odds with each other. I usually agree with those that go off on the US because most of the time they have a valid point and I agree with them.

• Like 2

And obviously a racist.

I use baht buses most days and nights. Sitting on there with all sorts are nationals from different countries.

They are about as interested in you as you are in them.

Jinghting is it the fact the Thai lady that joined the bus ignored you and wanted a bit of an Iranian. Are you a bit jealous, that your baht bus hunt for a drunken woman failed last night. Then you thought lets go to my secret place TV.

You could be sat there with a Tshirt half swastika, half Star of David. They wouldn't give a monkeys.

We all have 2 legs, 2 arms, 2 eyes etc.. We're all human at the end of the day.

If it bothers you so much walk home next time, then you can save your 10 baht, be careful though I have heard they are going to start charging 20 baht soon and the pork sticks on the market are going up another 2 baht. Oh dear

I think JT pulled another on us. At least he keeps up both his post count while at the same time pulling some posters out of they're lethargy.

He's all right..

Edited by watcharacters