Museum Of Forensic Science

monsieurhappy

:D Siriraj hospital near the river. 20 baht entry. Very interesting but not for the squeamish. Be aware that in the pharmacy section there is a fibreglass model of a man. Scared the life out of me! :o I have often invited my o/h to come with me for a visit but he refuses. Be prepared for the very odd sight of children and babies touring too.

Its not fibre glass! Its the real McCoy preserved in formaldehyde.

It is a very gruesome place and not for the faint hearted.

The museum can be a little hard to find as the sign is small.

If you are coming from the river, walk right up the road and take the last entrance into the hospital grounds on your right and its about 50M down there on the right hand side if memory serves me right.

Chaophraya Express boat from the Sathorn pier next to Shangri La Hotel (BTS Taksin Bridge station) to Wang Lang pier right in front of the Siriraj hospital (opposite Tha Chang pier, Wat Phra Kaew) is probably the easiest access to the museum from the city center.

http://www.chaophrayaboat.co.th/routemap_fare_e.htm

http://www.si.mahidol.ac.th/eng/direction.htm#02

Believe it's close on Sundays. Anatomical museum is also worth seeing. :o

http://www.si.mahidol.ac.th/eng/Museums.htm

Edited by Nordlys

Do check out the other surrounding museums (I think there are about 7 mini museums there) - one covering tropical diseases, illness, etc. has a lovely picture of a guy with tape worms demonstrating quite unforgettably how big they can get and where they are extracted from. The forensic museum itself has some cracking pictures of road traffic accident victims - don't eat just before or just after your trip. :o

Lucky

I went there several years ago....i was with a mate who works in a hospital(hence the interest) and my thai girlfriend..

we were misdirected and ended up down by the hospital morgue..which was quite busy and not where i wanted to be.

as we entered the 'museum' a party of thai school kids was leaving..looking suitably impressed.

it really is not for the squeamish...some of the exhibits need close inspection until you realise what they are and jump back.

that dead guy in the stand up box, apparently, according to my girlfriend, was an infamous rapist...there is a sign on top of the box in thai....

across the river, if i remember correctly, is a museum of The King's barges.. a far more congenial place to visit.